Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014

James757 is on a distinguished road
Question Recommendations for connectors

I am preparing to work on my mast. I will add a tri-light and anchor light combo and will run the cable for a new VHF antenna. What recommendations do you all have on connectors for the wiring and cable? The existing wiring and the connector at the base of the mast is in pretty bad shape. The antenna cable will be a new addition.
I will appreciate any help. This is my first sailboat so please excuse me when I use incorrect terminology or have to ask you to explain what you said because this is all new.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2014

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommendations for connectors

Are you doing this in the water or on the hard (land)? I'm preparing to do the same thing but will wait until I put the boat on the hard. It's much easier and I need to secure the wires as they slap when the boat rocks and it drives me crazy!

At the base of the mast, I use a "project box" I buy at Radio Shack. Don't laugh... they work, and I haven't found better options elsewhere! The common NEG for Tri-color, Spreader, Anchor and Steaming lights are shown attached to a barrier strip. The Pos. wires will be attached below, and the strip will be placed in the box. The open box is in the background.

The wires for my wind instrument will be attached to another barrier strip and placed in a smaller box.
I've included a picture of similar closed boxes I've used in other locations.

For connections and wire, I go to: Marine Wiring, Boat Cable and Electrical Genuinedealz.com
Found them on this forum. HIGHLY recommended.
They also have a online calculator you will need (or something like it) to determine correct wire gauge.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations for connectors-0211141330.jpg   Recommendations for connectors-0211141228a.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 02-11-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2014

rugosa is on a distinguished road

This worked great for our Raymarine re-install Cantex 8 x 8 x 4 PVC Water Tight Junction Box 8"x8"x4" Surface Mount | eBay fits into any locker (they come as small as 4 x 4 x 2)
Mounted it in cockpit locker for pilot & gps, ran a spare 12v conductor, added 12v Windex light inside and then a cockpit light. All cables have strain relief connectors; all neat, tidy, waterproof. Everything labelled & clear heat shrink per Main Sail, just in case
The Following User Says Thank You to rugosa For This Useful Post:
James757 (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014

James757 is on a distinguished road

L124C,
Half and Half. The boat is in the water and the mast is down. I am removing it to do the work. I have a Columbia 22 and the mast can be handled by two people.
Thank you for the photos and information.
Old 02-12-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Look here; Easy VHF Connections Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

If you find it helpful, consider making a donation here; Help Support This Site Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

DISCLAIMER: I have no interest in that site. Just trying to help everybody out.
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
James757 (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
This worked great for our Raymarine re-install Cantex 8 x 8 x 4 PVC Water Tight Junction Box 8"x8"x4" Surface Mount | eBay fits into any locker (they come as small as 4 x 4 x 2)
Mounted it in cockpit locker for pilot & gps, ran a spare 12v conductor, added 12v Windex light inside and then a cockpit light. All cables have strain relief connectors; all neat, tidy, waterproof. Everything labelled & clear heat shrink per Main Sail, just in case
Sounds good, but that link doesn't provide much info, and the picture isn't much better (what's the round thing?). Do you have a shot with the cover off? How is it water tight (neoprene gaskets?)?

Last edited by L124C; 02-12-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2014

For the record I ended up using 18-22 AWG ring connectors and a barrier strip for my wind instrument connections. Didn't bother putting it in a box as it's in the head, out of the way and moisture shouldn't be a problem. Don't know how it works because the instrument or transducer failed a long time ago. Raymarine couldn't sort it out and I gave up trying. Anyway, I can disconnect the wires to pull the stick now. The next owner can deal with Raymarine!
Bought one of the plastic screw strips mentioned earlier, but was told by someone (who should know) that the only problem is the screws are usually steel and corrode.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations for connectors-wind-instrument-barrier-strip-mast.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 03-27-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2014

El Rubio is on a distinguished road

eherlihy's link is perfect for VHf connectors. Don't use RG58 cable if you're installing the antenna at the top of the mast. I recommend LMR240 for runs under 100' which yours will certainly be. The cable is thin and flexible while loss is minimal. Spending more for RG8, 213, LMR400, etc is just a waste of money on a cable run your size. Unless you are familiar with soldering PL-259's, I would just purchase a cheap crimping tool ($30) and crimp-on connectors - like the Compass Marine link shows. Shakespeare makes a kind of clamp on connector that pinches the cable to make contact - don't waste your money unless you want to use it as an emergency replacement when you have few tools. Weather seal your connectors after you connect it to the antenna and deck fitting. They aren't waterproof and even the one's that claim to be weatherproof will let water in fairly quickly.
Old 03-27-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Are you doing this in the water or on the hard (land)? I'm preparing to do the same thing but will wait until I put the boat on the hard. It's much easier and I need to secure the wires as they slap when the boat rocks and it drives me crazy!
Most yards won't let you go up the mast on the hard. Frankly I wouldn't go up on land.

Talk to your yard about what you want to do and take their advice.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 03-28-2014

theWinch is on a distinguished road

Many yachts do not take the mast down every year. If you are one of them, I recommend not to have any connector at all. Take the cables straight through and leave some extra cable just below the through hole. Next time you take the mast down, cut the cable and insert the connector then. Saves corrosion problems and gives the best performance.

Tags
electical , wiring