Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road
Flush mount thru hull fittings

I recently bought a Kaufman 47 sailboat and will be changing the 14 thru hulls and seacocks. There are flush mount fittings on there now and I want to replace with the same thing. Groco has flush mount fittings but the are for over waterline use. I called them and they said that's what they recommend but they can be used below as long as "you know what your doing".

That being said, does anyone know of anywhere they sell bronze flush mount fittings?

As a precursor, I don't want marelon.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Flush mount thru hull fittings

Jamestown Distributors.
Old 02-13-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Good luck with this search, especially on a boat possibly built in Taiwan.....

Problem is that years ago there were piles of companies making flush mount thru-hulls and they all varied in size and diameter of the head depending upon brand. Companies like Wilcox-Crittenden, and many others, are now long gone.. Many Taiwan built boats often used American fittings, like some Grand Banks etc., but then some Taiwan yards sourced stuff locally. These locally sourced fittings were usually not built to the same head shape or size as anything else. BTDT....

Today Spartan, Buck Algonquin and Groco are the only ones left that I know of still making a "quality" 85-5-5-5 bronze thru-hull fitting in flush mount.

You may want to be VERY, VERY careful in the extraction process. Then clean them up, inspect for corrosion, and re-use them. If they were good quality bronze to begin with it will be very likely they are in perfect shape.

I have a box of seacocks from the mid 1930's that came out of an old wooden boat during a re-fit in 2003 that are still in perfect working order after being in use for approx 70 years... They literally outlasted the hull.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-13-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2014
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

As an additional thought:

Most racing sailors have learned the value of a smooth bottom. Ironically, cruising sailors can benefit at least as much from the creation of a low-resistance bottom as racing sailors, although you rarely see a cruising or daysailing boat with a bottom to match that of a good racing boat. Why handicap a cruising boat, which is probably already underpowered in light air, by having a bottom which almost guarantees reduced performance in the lightest conditions? Almost any tub can be driven to hull speed with 20 knots of breeze, even if it has foot-long grass and an acre of barnacles on the bottom. But it takes a smooth bottom to help it along in a three knot zephyr.

You can begin along the path to a fast bottom by recessing or fairing in through hull fittings that protrude beyond the surface of the hull, particularly in the forward half of the boat. Typically, this means the head intake and discharge fittings.

Whether you decide to recess fittings or fair them in depends on the hull construction, the amount of money you want to spend, and the amount of time you want to spend.
Old 02-13-2014

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Good luck with this search, especially on a boat possibly built in Taiwan.....

Problem is that years ago there were piles of companies making flush mount thru-hulls and they all varied in size and diameter of the head depending upon brand. Companies like Wilcox-Crittenden, and many others, are now long gone.. Many Taiwan built boats often used American fittings, like some Grand Banks etc., but then some Taiwan yards sourced stuff locally. These locally sourced fittings were usually not built to the same head shape or size as anything else. BTDT....

Today Spartan, Buck Algonquin and Groco are the only ones left that I know of still making a "quality" 85-5-5-5 bronze thru-hull fitting in flush mount.

You may want to be VERY, VERY careful in the extraction process. Then clean them up, inspect for corrosion, and re-use them. If they were good quality bronze to begin with it will be very likely they are in perfect shape.

I have a box of seacocks from the mid 1930's that came out of an old wooden boat during a re-fit in 2003 that are still in perfect working order after being in use for approx 70 years... They literally outlasted the hull.....
Alright, thanks I'll do my best to take them out carefully but no guarantees. But if there is a recessed/beveled hole already
there, I don't see why a new Groco or Buck(I found them thanks for the brand drop) wouldn't work in the same hole. It would be a matter of re bedding them with some inhouse made resin/glass puddy or 5200..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
As an additional thought:

Most racing sailors have learned the value of a smooth bottom. Ironically, cruising sailors can benefit at least as much from the creation of a low-resistance bottom as racing sailors, although you rarely see a cruising or daysailing boat with a bottom to match that of a good racing boat. Why handicap a cruising boat, which is probably already underpowered in light air, by having a bottom which almost guarantees reduced performance in the lightest conditions? Almost any tub can be driven to hull speed with 20 knots of breeze, even if it has foot-long grass and an acre of barnacles on the bottom. But it takes a smooth bottom to help it along in a three knot zephyr.

You can begin along the path to a fast bottom by recessing or fairing in through hull fittings that protrude beyond the surface of the hull, particularly in the forward half of the boat. Typically, this means the head intake and discharge fittings.

Whether you decide to recess fittings or fair them in depends on the hull construction, the amount of money you want to spend, and the amount of time you want to spend.
Was that a quote you found, I read that somewhere in a pdf I downloaded.. I think. But like I said, I'll probably just take them out and see what I can do. My family owns the yard and the work is no where foreign to me. I just want it done and done correctly. I want to sail this thing this summer Haha!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

You may be able to source a place for a bronze shakewell type seacock when closed they provide a smooth surface with no protrusion or hole in the hull surface

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2014
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
You may be able to source a place for a bronze shakewell type seacock when closed they provide a smooth surface with no protrusion or hole in the hull surface
Interesting item! I did a Google on a 'shakewell' seacock, and found some on-line at a place called Fisheries Supply.

Apparently they are fit in so tightly they don't have an exterior flange at all...?

Very interesting.....
Old 02-14-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
Interesting item! I did a Google on a 'shakewell' seacock, and found some on-line at a place called Fisheries Supply.

Apparently they are fit in so tightly they don't have an exterior flange at all...?

Very interesting.....
Yep and they provide a smooth hull when closed and here's the real kicker fisheries supply is less than fifteen miles from me by water.

Old 02-14-2014
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Flush mount thru hull fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
Alright, thanks I'll do my best to take them out carefully but no guarantees. But if there is a recessed/beveled hole already
there, I don't see why a new Groco or Buck(I found them thanks for the brand drop) wouldn't work in the same hole. It would be a matter of re bedding them with some inhouse made resin/glass puddy or 5200..
I did just that. I made sure (I used 4200), the 4200 thoroughly bedded and sealed the joint. I carefully removed the 4200 that was not involved in the joint. There was some because the old fitting was a different size. I used an exacto knife for that step and cleaned up with a small wire brush. I taped over the opening in the fitting and with some vinylester putty (cabosil for thixotrophy and microbaloons for filler) I added a "sacrifical" surface patch of 8 oz s-glass then let it cure and faired it all very carefully. I made sure I had some surface of the fitting clean and "rough" at the outer edge so the fairing materials would have a surface to bond to. It ended up "recessing" the new fitting enough that the "sacrifical"glass remained right up to the openings. She is some smooth now and it has survived as I had hoped for three seasons. Great care at the edge of the opening to make sure it is well bonded. I could have skipped the "sacrifical" glass and added some chopped glass to my putty for strength.

How many of these are you working on? It would make sense to get them all ready for the "fairing step" then get them all done at once. The 4200 cures fairly quickly and can be carefully carved. It will allow removal of the fitting with less difficulty in the future.

Have fun.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 02-14-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-15-2014

ambianceack is on a distinguished road

I replaced four of our bronze wilcox crittendon (1970's era) with Spartan flush mount thru-hulls found here Bronze and Stainless Marine Hardware - Spartan Marine Hardware and Accessories | Robinhood Marine Center the flush mount matched the original recessed area in the hull. As Maine Sail pointed out not sure about the foreign boat though...I think Spartan is the way to go. Buy one and see how it fits. I would stay away from 5200. As others have pointed out use 4200 or a sika brand adhesives and sealants found here http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/