Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-07-2006

Glyle is on a distinguished road
Stepping mast single handed

I have an S2 6.9 and searching for a safe ande easy way to step the mast alone. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2006

Bawgy is on a distinguished road

http://media.putfile.com/maststep
Old 01-10-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

I don''t remember exactly how the S2 is rigged, but, if you look carefully, you can find about four mast raising systems by going to the following web address.

http://www.catalina25-250.org/tech/tech25/tech25.html

I''ve never used any of these systems, but know people who swear that the system they use can be done single-handed. Personally, I''d feel better having one person to keep the mast from swinging from side to side while it''s going up.
Old 11-18-2006

dhendry is on a distinguished road
I came across this, which you may want to look at, I am:http://home.att.net/~sail-trailers/mastlift.html
D
Old 11-29-2006

Luckenbach is on a distinguished road
stepping the mast by yourself

Howdy yall!

I'm a sailing instuctor here in central Texas, and I get lot's of questions on how to step the mast by oneself. There are many systems for doing so already developed for various boats, so I've been filming them so yall can see how it's done on various boats. I put these videos on my website, Sailing Texas, and there is no charge to see them. As you will see, for a sailboat that steps on the deck instead of down on the keel the methods are all very similar. Something to keep the mast from falling sideways and then a method to pull the mast up using a lever. In the latest video my wife Alison (who weighs 120 pounds and is 56 years old!) raises and lowers the Flying Scot mast entirely by herself. She said it was very easy.

Here's a link to my Videos page, which has a lot of interesting stuff, one section is devoted solely to raising and lowering masts,

http://www.sailingtexas.com/Movies/s...deosindex.html

I really hope this helps. Raising and lowering the mast can be very easy, and if done properly is quite safe too.

Luckenbach
Old 11-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I like the A-frame setups better than the single gin-pole setups, as I believe they're easier to work with and far safer. On my friend's Cape Dory, they use the boomvang and attach it to an A-frame, made of 1" pipe, and the forestay chainplate. The jib halyard is attached to the A-frame and cleated off so that the A-frame is roughly vertical. The mast foot has a pin that goes through the mast step base and then, once the pin is in place, they haul on the boom vang to raise the mast. It works pretty well and could be done by a single person, but generally they have two people doing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-27-2007

loomaz is on a distinguished road
no luck reaching sail-trialer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendry
I came across this, which you may want to look at, I am:http://home.att.net/~sail-trailers/mastlift.html
D
I went to that web site and tried calling the number. I sent an e-mail and received no response and I tried telephoning the number but it is apparently disconnected.
Old 02-27-2007

Mast raising system

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
I like the A-frame setups better than the single gin-pole setups, as I believe they're easier to work with and far safer. On my friend's Cape Dory, they use the boomvang and attach it to an A-frame, made of 1" pipe, and the forestay chainplate. The jib halyard is attached to the A-frame and cleated off so that the A-frame is roughly vertical. The mast foot has a pin that goes through the mast step base and then, once the pin is in place, they haul on the boom vang to raise the mast. It works pretty well and could be done by a single person, but generally they have two people doing it.
Do you know where I can buy an A-frame setup or plans to make one. I have a Rhodes 18 that steps on the keel so the mast needs to be raised verticle and dropped into the hole in the foredeck.
Old 02-27-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckenbach
Howdy yall!

I'm a sailing instuctor here in central Texas, and I get lot's of questions on how to step the mast by oneself. There are many systems for doing so already developed for various boats, so I've been filming them so yall can see how it's done on various boats. I put these videos on my website, Sailing Texas, and there is no charge to see them. As you will see, for a sailboat that steps on the deck instead of down on the keel the methods are all very similar. Something to keep the mast from falling sideways and then a method to pull the mast up using a lever. In the latest video my wife Alison (who weighs 120 pounds and is 56 years old!) raises and lowers the Flying Scot mast entirely by herself. She said it was very easy.

Here's a link to my Videos page, which has a lot of interesting stuff, one section is devoted solely to raising and lowering masts,

http://www.sailingtexas.com/Movies/s...deosindex.html

I really hope this helps. Raising and lowering the mast can be very easy, and if done properly is quite safe too.

Luckenbach
Luckenbach, thank you Sir,, SOOOO much. You have solved my biggest problem.
I have to tell you, your site(SailingTexas) was one of the first I found when I began my search for a boat, and I go on almost everyday just to see what's new in the "for sale" section. The gallery is one of my favorites. Again, thank you VERY much, I feel like I'm a better sailor today.
Old 02-27-2007

mast raising video

I went to the site and tried to play the videos but all three show only the construction of the device. The videos showing the actual raising and lowering of the mast just repeat the first one.