Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
Consider that if you have the bottom now down to bare gel coat and faired, it is your only opportunity for a barrier coat before recoating with bottom paint. On my 28 footer, it took no more than 90 minutes each to roll on 4 barrier coats over four days. Pettit, interlux, even Sherwin Williams make appropriate products.

I did it after soda blasting a new to me boat just for peace of mind to know exactly the condition of things. To me, time and money well spent.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to hriehl1 For This Useful Post:
BoatyardBoy (02-18-2014)
Old 04-16-2014

juggleandhope is on a distinguished road
Re: First Bottom Job

If there are a few 4"x2" (inch not foot) patches where the ablative paint peeled, just paint over them with the new season's ablative?

Should I just do one coat on everywhere where there's already one coat from last year (plus the year before)? Maybe with one extra for the leading edge?
Old 04-16-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Keep a little to touch up the patches under the jack pads and keel.

I find the swivel head that is about 9x3 with 80 grit W/D used wet mounted on a pole allows me to work much faster and saves my back.

Read the application instructions before choosing the grit grade. Too smooth can give adhesion issues.
Old 04-17-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I find it interesting that everyone is obsessed with barrier coating. It is not always a good idea. Here's why.

Every boat that spends its time in the water has absorbed some into the gelcoat, if not farther. This has to be eliminated before a barrier coat can be put on. A hull that has been absorbing moisture over a period of 10, 20 or more years will not dry out in a week. Sometimes depending on weather not in 6 months. When a hull that has a high moisture content is barrier coated the moisture is trapped. It will eventually find a way out and can cause blisters when it does.

If a boat hasn't had blisters in the first few decades of its life it could very well not ever have them. Best I think to leave well enough alone in this case and skip the barrier coat.

Anyway, almost all blisters are cosmetic and do not cause structural damage.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 04-22-2014

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I find it interesting that everyone is obsessed with barrier coating. It is not always a good idea. Here's why.

Every boat that spends its time in the water has absorbed some into the gelcoat, if not farther. This has to be eliminated before a barrier coat can be put on. A hull that has been absorbing moisture over a period of 10, 20 or more years will not dry out in a week. Sometimes depending on weather not in 6 months. When a hull that has a high moisture content is barrier coated the moisture is trapped. It will eventually find a way out and can cause blisters when it does.

If a boat hasn't had blisters in the first few decades of its life it could very well not ever have them. Best I think to leave well enough alone in this case and skip the barrier coat.

Anyway, almost all blisters are cosmetic and do not cause structural damage.
So what your saying is that since it's already absorbed water, you shouldn't stop it from continuing it because you should leave well enough alone?

It's not an obsession, it's prudent. Gelcoat isn't made to seal fiberglass from osmosis, it's a coating to apply fiberglass to in a mold so you don't have to fair the glass and to protect the glass from uv. Epoxy is a much better barrier to stop osmosis.

Proper use of heat lamps and poking holes in small gelcoat blisters will speed up the drying of the hull process. Especially since the majority of them are gelcoat blisters..

To each their own, but it's never a bad idea.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I didn't say not to barrier coat. I said that the hull has to be dry to barrier coat.

As a boat goes through its life it gets wetter in the water, especially warm water and the contents of the water make a difference as well - eg salt vs fresh and probably pollution has an effect as well. When the boat is on the hard, sometimes for the entire winter the hull can get quite warm, even on a winter day if the sun is out. If a boat is barrier coated and the moisture left in the hull cannot escape easily as it entered through the gelcoat it will find a way - by finding weak spots in the barrier and this can cause blisters to appear.

If it is dry (as tested properly) by all means barrier coat. But it can take a very long time for moisture to leave a hull that took 20 years or so to absorb it.

This link from a very experienced surveyor concerning blisters is also very interesting reading. Mustang Island Yachts (Rockport, TX)
christian.hess likes this.
Old 04-22-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

x2 bud...a lot of people go full into barrier coat mode and pay little attention to what the surface is telling them

only to make things worse...

I used to be in a club where every season people would dry out theor boats physicallly and in tents to get the hull dry enough...it was a months long project(sometimes years if a complete restoration) and not something simply done over a few weekends...

id much rather piant straight over cosmetic blisters than do a crappy barrier coat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 04-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I didn't say not to barrier coat. I said that the hull has to be dry to barrier coat.

As a boat goes through its life it gets wetter in the water, especially warm water and the contents of the water make a difference as well - eg salt vs fresh and probably pollution has an effect as well. When the boat is on the hard, sometimes for the entire winter the hull can get quite warm, even on a winter day if the sun is out. If a boat is barrier coated and the moisture left in the hull cannot escape easily as it entered through the gelcoat it will find a way - by finding weak spots in the barrier and this can cause blisters to appear.

If it is dry (as tested properly) by all means barrier coat. But it can take a very long time for moisture to leave a hull that took 20 years or so to absorb it.

This link from a very experienced surveyor concerning blisters is also very interesting reading. Mustang Island Yachts (Rockport, TX)
ps there would always be a very very mad boat owner who after doing a complete bottom job, barrier coat and skinned it...stripped and epoxied would have a gazilliion little bubble appear next haulout, why?

improperly dried hull...a very very expensive and futile mistake...yet every season you would see this

Old 04-26-2014

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
x2 bud...a lot of people go full into barrier coat mode and pay little attention to what the surface is telling them

only to make things worse...

id much rather piant straight over cosmetic blisters than do a crappy barrier coat.
That would be even worse than a craps barrier coat. You essentially are ignoring the osmosis problem and covering it up with more bottom paint. If you did a crappy barrier coat, it is at least stopping further osmosis. And yes you should let it dry at least a month and pop the tiny blisters to let the water out. We haven't had any issues with barrier coat blistering after we applied it at our yard and we didn't let the boats sit up for as long as your suggesting.
But I kindly disagree that continuing to paint bottom paint on the already osmotic hull is a better route.

My dad always said if you don't have the time to do it right the first time, you won't have time to do it again the second time.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2014

why? your ignoring COSMETIC blisters

people go way to deep into this and you have to be smart about it

people barrier coating and spending 10k on a bottom job on a 30 year old 30 footer?

unless you plan on keeping that boat forever it makes no sense...cosmetic blisters are just that

absolutely harmless

just make sure you know what your dealing with

btw paint simple bottom paint over blisters is NOT worse than an epoxy barrier coat over water saturated gelcoat or glass...and the reason should be obvious to most here

peace

notice i said CRAPPY barrier coat which happens a lot in many yards and owners that arent knowledgeable enough to know when it wont work for them

also a crappy barrier coat WONT stop blisters from appearing since you havent solved the water saturation problem like others have mentioned

I have seen it with my own eyes how new blisters appear almost like an epidemia, fast as hell in barely a year when improperly surfaces are simpy coated...when you think about it having 30, 40 year old hulls develop blisters over all that times span and you see how quickly new blisters appear from improper prep and coatings you tend to see that for cosmetic blisters there is really no benefit in going all out...

but everybody has their way of dealing with things

Last edited by christian.hess; 04-26-2014 at 09:34 PM.