Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-27-2001

dpcolohan is on a distinguished road
superfurl

I have just bought a 1974 C&C 27 and am researching foresail roller furling systems. I saw an ad for a system called Superfurl, out of California. Is anyone familiar with this product ?
What is the best value-for-money brand ?
All advice is welcomed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2001

Captnbn is on a distinguished road
superfurl

Check out www.furlings.com
It is an Australian made system and you won''t beat the quality or the price
Old 11-09-2009

pmpcc is on a distinguished road
Superfurl???

OK I see that this is a pretty old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has had any more recent opinions of Superfurl? Is it really as easy to install as claimed, how's the quality? Also, do just take your existing sail to a sail-maker to the the UV protectant stitched on or do you need to get a whole new sail?

CC

"There's nothing wrong with sobriety in moderation."
--John Ciandi
Old 03-04-2010
1973 Viking 33

SloopDogg is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking of getting one of these myself...anymore news on them? PMPCC did you get one?
Old 03-04-2010

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Wow, a thread this old with only two responses, maybe it is an obscure brand. Two years ago I bought a Schaefer Snapfurl CF700 for $800.00 and have seen them listed for as high as $1400.00. It is very suitable for the 25'-30' range, easy to install and basically bulletproof. I'd recommend it to anyone with boat in that range.
I did have to take my sails in to NorthSails and have the hanks converted to luff tape, they charged me $150.00 per sail for jib & genoa so I did not have to buy new ones.

Last edited by CaptKermie; 03-04-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Our boat came with a SuperFurl installed. We used it to sail from California to Florida. The furler gave us no problems. I sold it a few years ago when I installed a new furlex. It was working to the guy I sold it to when he sold his boat.
It's a good, simple system. I don't know what the price is now, but they used to be very competitive.
One good thing about the system is that it came with slides and little pieces of webbing for the luff instead of requiring luff tape. One could just remove the hanks and sew on the slides.

I can't think of any problems that I ever had using the system.
Old 03-04-2010

BigZ is on a distinguished road
I inquired about this product a few years ago. They responded quickly, sending a VHS tape and other product data.
As I recall their ads claimed that sails needed no modification, but you obviously had to have the foot trimmed to fit. It seemed too that the drum was an extremely large diameter and would have mucked with the narrow bow pulpit I have. Price-wise they were comparable to other well-known brands so I opted out.
Old 03-05-2010

pmpcc is on a distinguished road
Hi SloopDog,

We haven't bought one yet. We decided since this is our first sailboat we should learn the how to's the manual way, then buy the toys. That'll probably only last through the end of summer though

CC

"There's nothing wrong with sobriety in moderation."
--John Ciandi
Old 03-11-2010
1973 Viking 33

Hi Everyone...It's great to see this thread take off again. Anyway, I did email Superfurl. It seems it is a one man show and Don, the owner/designer/creator of the system wrote me back several times and sent out a DVD which I haven't had a chance to view yet. I did read the install instructions and it seems pretty straight forward. He also sent along some testimonials and email addresses of current owners. He also told me he has been making them for 20 years and has sold over 800 of them. I'm really considering this system given the fact that the extrusion that slides over the forstay is aluminum and not plastic. I'm also considering the bamar 'Crociera'. The two units are within $50 of each other. However, the Bamar would require lufftape witch is about $5 a foot for luff tape and $6.50/ft for suncover of leech and foot. Of course the suncover should be done either way so the the additionl cost would be the luff tape. That would be about $100 - $150 for my sail. so the cost is still very comprable. I see the Bamar for $849 and the Superfurl is on special right now for $899 until 4/30/10. I do give some preference toward an american made/designed product and the whole supporting the "little guy" situation and am leaning that way. However, Bamar is a reputable product of Italy and their furlers are used on production yachts...I'm having a tough time here...lol Danny
Old 03-11-2010
1973 Viking 33

Okay...as long as I am asking...does anyone have any opinions on the CDI FF2 furling system? It seems they can be had with a new sail package price of under $1000.00 at a number of places. i.e. I've seen sumerset sails offing a package at like $925. I've seen FX sails offing a sail at about $550 and if you buy a CDI F22 from Sailnet for about $425 you get a 10% discount which would put the package at about $900.00 this gives you sail made for the CDI and the sun protection.........I know the CDI has a plastic extrusion so, I think it probably isn't great for reefing.....any thought would be greatly appreciated!