Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Uses for old double-braid?

As a result of various upgrades and modifications I seem to have collected far more odds and ends of various sizes and lengths of double-braid both new and old that I can find a use for on the boat (the last thing I need is yet another spare dock-line! ).

In the past, old 3-strand could be "re-purposed" into all kinds from baggywrinkle to shoes... but this modern stuff doesn't seem to have the same flexibility.

What do people do with odd lengths of double-braid? Any great ideas??
Markwesti likes this.
Old 02-16-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Uses for old double-braid?

lifeline netting if small diameter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Unfortunately most seem to turn them into docklines - with their relatively low stretch it's not a good setup - and any 'gronks' from running over chocks and cleats seem exaggerated, to say nothing of the abrupt 'fetch up' when they pull taut.

One thing you can try, though.. put them in a pillow case and wash them - they may not be 'done' afterall....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-16-2014
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Weave 'em into mats for on the boat, dock, etc. That's what my son does with old climbing ropes.
Faster and benesailor like this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-16-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Give them to me.

fryewe likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Weave 'em into mats for on the boat, dock, etc. That's what my son does with old climbing ropes.
That's about all I could think of, myself... however old climbing ropes tend to be rather long which is what you need for mat-making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Give them to me.

Happy to.. If you come pick them up
Old 02-16-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Unfortunately most seem to turn them into docklines - with their relatively low stretch it's not a good setup - and any 'gronks' from running over chocks and cleats seem exaggerated, to say nothing of the abrupt 'fetch up' when they pull taut.

One thing you can try, though.. put them in a pillow case and wash them - they may not be 'done' afterall....
Nope.. these are (mostly) done all right.

I probably should have mentioned that the lines in question are the 'frustrating' ones, either the right length and wrong size or vice versa, and sometimes reminders of the time I simply bought the wrong thing. Some examples from my "collection" :

- 2 x 25' lengths of 10mm with thimbles spliced in one end (the biggest my boat needs for anything is 8mm)
- 1 x 30' length of 12mm (came, in a bag, with the boat!)
- 2 x old jib sheets (the right size and length, but frayed to buggery)
- 1 x old mainsheet (see above)
- 1 x 10' length of 8mm (new, right size, but too short for anything useful? Maybe I'll keep it just in case.. as a matter of fact, I'm currently keeping them ALL.. just in case. )

Perhaps the best option is to just leave them lying around the Club one day: Someone is bound to come along thinking "I can use that!!" and, after a year or three of them lying around in the bowels of the boat, find themselves asking the same question as I did in the title of this thread..

Last edited by Classic30; 02-16-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Frayed -- toss.

10' of 8mm -- keep handy. Short pieces of line end up with lots of uses, like tying dock a cockpit tarp, tying down objects to the deck, making a tether to hold the anchor in place. It doesn't take much space and will get used.

What size is your boat? 25' x 10mm (why are you mixing units?) might be useful as storm-weather jib sheets. They'll slip less than 8mm jib sheets on your winches. The eye splices (are they big thimbles or little?) will allow you to attach them to the sail with a soft shackle, which won't catch on standing rigging like a splice.

The 12mm line you could give to someone else on your dock if you don't have an immediate use for it.

Is it possible that the 10mm and 12mm lines are double braid dock line?
Old 02-16-2014

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

Prepare a rats nest to stop Japan's whale boats! Makes good trailer tie down rope, Build the kids a rope swing..........Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-17-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Frayed -- toss.

10' of 8mm -- keep handy. Short pieces of line end up with lots of uses, like tying dock a cockpit tarp, tying down objects to the deck, making a tether to hold the anchor in place. It doesn't take much space and will get used.
Good points.. except I'm not sure about the "will get used" bit.

Quote:
What size is your boat? 25' x 10mm (why are you mixing units?) might be useful as storm-weather jib sheets. They'll slip less than 8mm jib sheets on your winches. The eye splices (are they big thimbles or little?) will allow you to attach them to the sail with a soft shackle, which won't catch on standing rigging like a splice.
Boat is 30'. I'm mixing units 'cause youse guys wouldn't understand meters and I can't be bothered converting metric line sizes to whatever it is y'all use over there.

Hmm.. hadn't thought about using them for storm-sheets. Good idea!

Quote:
The 12mm line you could give to someone else on your dock if you don't have an immediate use for it.

Is it possible that the 10mm and 12mm lines are double braid dock line?
Don't think so.. One has been fitted with a 'red' taper on one end and the other 'green' so they must have come off a larger boat and the PO might have thought they'd come in useful one day.

..and I'd use them for dock lines if I didn't mind looking like a noob.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.