SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Bottom Paint (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/12336-bottom-paint.html)

offline2004 01-16-2006 01:14 PM

Bottom Paint

I am looking for recommendations on bottom paint for my 1995 Hunter 336 (fiberglass hull). The previous owner had painted it just prior to my purchase 2 seasons ago and I do not know the type of paint that he used.

I stopped at West Marine and have received no definitive recommendation. I am assuming this is one of those items where price DOES matter.

The boat stays in the Chesapeake and is dry docked every other season. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Also if there are any suggestions as to where to buy other that West Marine in the DC/Annapolis.

Thanks!

Matt

sailnaway 02-06-2006 08:17 AM

Bottom Paint

The best thing is call the yard where it was haulled and they should have a record of what was used if they painted the boat. Also you can go to www.yachtpaint.com and click on bottom paint and read all about bottom coatings and what you can use over old paint.

Fstbttms 02-23-2006 01:13 PM

As a professional hull cleaner, I recommend Petit Trinidad SR. Best stuff on the market, IMHO.

gbhughes 02-23-2006 11:40 PM

Bottom Paint

My boat is on the upper Chesapeake and I have had good luck with Micron CSC, though we aree starting to see some Zebra mussels in the brackish water. they seem to like it pretty well
George Hughes

DynaMeme 02-25-2006 12:50 PM

Petit Trinidad SR

Been on the Bay since 1980. We can go 2-3 years between repaints with two coats at haulout. "SR" inhibits the bacteria that allow larger organisms to get a foothold.

windship 02-26-2006 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fstbttms
As a professional hull cleaner, I recommend Petit Trinidad SR. Best stuff on the market, IMHO.

How do you like sanding or blasting the old paint off when it has become ineffective?
Stick with a multi season ablative paint.

Dennis

Fstbttms 03-04-2006 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windship
How do you like sanding or blasting the old paint off when it has become ineffective?
Stick with a multi season ablative paint.

Are you inferring that a new epoxy can't be layered over the old one? Or merely that eventually you would want to take all the old paint off? The latter is true but certainly wouldn't need to be done at each haulout.

The knock against ablatives is they are NOT superior to epoxies, as far as anti fouling goes, they do not stand up well to in-water hull cleaning and they are much more damaging to the environment than most other anti fouling solutions. Something to consider in the Chesapeake.

gpd955 03-06-2006 10:46 PM

I'm glad I found this thread! I am preparing to bottom paint on Saturday for the first time. The previous owner had it painted in Spring 2004 and it has been in dry storage since Oct. 2004. There is no bubbling, flaking or anything with the current paint but I want to put some new paint on just to be on the safe side. Is there anything I should do prior to the new coat or can I just go over the old?? Sorry to jump in but I figured it would be better than starting another thread with the same title!!

camaraderie 03-07-2006 12:42 AM

Both George and GPD955 need to find out what was Last used on their bottoms or they risk their new paint not adhering. Then check mfr. websites for compatibility. Nothing worse then watching hundreds of $$'s wash off your boat!
As to Trinidad SR vs. Micron CSC....I've used both and gotten at least 2 years out of both on the Bay but now prefer the SR for the reasons fastbottoms suggests.