Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: new bottom cleaning kit

Most pros use a hookah. Must tell you something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

If i did, i would use a normal gas compressor. but i do not know enough about it yet, and have to build a clientele before spending any more big money. I already bought a bigger dinghy, and 10hp engine, a full scuba set with 7MM wet suit, and now i am buying tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-17-2014

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

So, the “professional” divers who first use the Scotch Bright – are they also receiving commissions on the boats they are bringing in for new bottom paint at the boatyards? Guys like me who are on a regular cleaning schedule have our boats cleaned with carpet. Scotch Bright is used for cleaning props and shafts only. If you encounter a really bad bottom then the scrapper is handy to pop off the oyster shells.

What is the wood, mallet and hammer for? I just use a screwdriver for popping off an old zinc. What do bottom jobs go for in Florida? Interesting way to generate cash while cruising. As a transient, how will you develop your client base? Bulletin Boards? If you are a transient, will you be able to put clients on a regular cleaning schedule? And what happens to the business when you move on?
Old 02-17-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
So, the “professional” divers who first use the Scotch Bright – are they also receiving commissions on the boats they are bringing in for new bottom paint at the boatyards? Guys like me who are on a regular cleaning schedule have our boats cleaned with carpet. Scotch Bright is used for cleaning props and shafts only. If you encounter a really bad bottom then the scrapper is handy to pop off the oyster shells.

What is the wood, mallet and hammer for? I just use a screwdriver for popping off an old zinc. What do bottom jobs go for in Florida? Interesting way to generate cash while cruising. As a transient, how will you develop your client base? Bulletin Boards? If you are a transient, will you be able to put clients on a regular cleaning schedule? And what happens to the business when you move on?
I do not know. they were using the heavy duty ones thou.

The wood is for barnacles. Its softer on the bottom paint then a scraper. I was only going to use the scraper on the prop or hull if it was heavily fouled. the mallet is for knocking off zincs that are stuck, and the hammer is for a lightly bent prop.

Old 02-17-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
If i did, i would use a normal gas compressor. .....
Not sure what you mean by that. You need a high volume, low pressure oil-less air compressor. The pros build their own set ups pretty inexpensively.

The obvious advantage is not needing to refill tanks, but I think the freedom to move around without the tank on your back is as much the reason. Hull cleaning can be much more exhausting than some think.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-17-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Not sure what you mean by that. You need a high volume, low pressure oil-less air compressor. The pros build their own set ups pretty inexpensively.

The obvious advantage is not needing to refill tanks, but I think the freedom to move around without the tank on your back is as much the reason. Hull cleaning can be much more exhausting than some think.
I am a long way from building my own hooka. I would rather spend the cash on a compressor for our world trip.

Old 02-17-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

So you're getting old Alu 80's, presumably out of hydro, for $35 (a steal) and for an additional $30 getting them hydro'd VIP'd and filled? A steal, simply a steal, at a total of $65 for a freshly hydro'd tank, with regulator, filled.

By the way, the only "law" about tanks is from the DOT, and the DOT require all tanks to be VIP'd before the hydro test is performed, by the hydro technician. The dive industry pretends you still need a dive shop VIP (or more, for aluminum tanks from a certain age) even on a new tank, but the fact is that under federal law, if the tank has been hydro'd, it has also been VIP'd. The duplicate VIP is one of many common rip-offs by hungry dive shops. But then again, most would charge you more than $30 just for the hydro anyhow.

Presumably you are SCUBA certified...you'll find most shops won't fill tanks without seeing a C-card.

You might also want two mallets, or two mauls, to set zincs. I've found that you really need to hit 'em from both sides at once in order to set them tightly, or else they tend to work loose from the shaft. Hit 'em from one side only, and they just go back and forth.
Old 02-17-2014
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
I need to assemble a common group of tools i will need for my new bottom cleaning business. This is my list so far, any recommendations would be great.

scotchbrite pads
2" scraper
6" flexible scraper
2"x2"x2' piece of wood
Allen key set
flat and straight screwdriver
rubber mallet
brass hammer

anything i have missed?
I've been cleaning boat bottoms for almost twenty years. Here's a basic tool kit:

3M Doodlebug pads and holders
Suction cup
3M wire brush w/scraper
6" scraper
5-in-1 tool
Flathead screwdriver
Philips screwdriver
Allen wrench sets- SAE & metric
16oz. claw hammer
Pliers
18" pipe wrench
Vice Grips

Ditch the lumber, mallet and brass hammer. You won't need any of them, at least not for the uses you have in mind.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fstbttms For This Useful Post:
UnionPacific (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The fact that you're about to go steaming in with scotchbrite pads is scary. Try reading this :

http://www.coastal.ca.gov/nps/in-wat...-3-14-2012.pdf

You're supposed to be cleaning most paints with soft carpet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
So, the “professional” divers who first use the Scotch Bright – are they also receiving commissions on the boats they are bringing in for new bottom paint at the boatyards? Guys like me who are on a regular cleaning schedule have our boats cleaned with carpet. Scotch Bright is used for cleaning props and shafts only.
The hull cleaner's choice of cleaning media is based primarily on two factors; paint condtion and cleaning frequency. And in California, unless the paint is in great condition and being cleaned monthly or better, a piece of carpet just simply isn't going to do the job. Both George and Mark are clients of mine and they both have their boats cleaned quarterly. While both of them would benefit from having their bottoms cleaned more frequently, I don't think either of them would complain that I have been scrubbing their paint off prematurely and that they aren't getting long life from their anti fouling paints. It might shock them to know I have never used anything but 3M Doodlebug pads to clean their hulls. In fact, the California Coastal Commission Best Management Practices document to which Mark provided a link specifies that frequent cleaning and both carpet or pads are acceptable. I quote:

Clean monthly or when sufficiently fouled to prevent abrasive scrubbing with inappropriate pads (soft white pad or carpet is preferable.)

To the OP I say; always use the least abrasive cleaning media possible to get the job done. This is the heart of any hull cleaning BMP. Know that relatively frequent, gentle cleaning will keep the paint on the hull, where it belongs. Less frequent, more abrasive cleaning means shortening the paint's lifespan. But this is, in large part, not your call to make. It's the boat owner's dime and his boat to maintain. The best you can do is to try to steer him in the right direction.

UnionPacific likes this.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 02-18-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2014

rcontrera is on a distinguished road

I love it that a pint is an important tool!!