Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road
new bottom cleaning kit

I need to assemble a common group of tools i will need for my new bottom cleaning business. This is my list so far, any recommendations would be great.

scotchbrite pads
2" scraper
6" flexible scraper
2"x2"x2' piece of wood
Allen key set
flat and straight screwdriver
rubber mallet
brass hammer

anything i have missed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2014

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: new bottom cleaning kit

Underwater cleaning?
Old 02-17-2014
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

We need some more detail about your proposed business. The scope of your venture. Are you planning on cleaning the boat when out of the water or in? Most marinas powerwash the bottom when the boat is hauled so that would cut into your business. Are you looking to clean big yachts or day sailors (who wouldn't get power washed necessarily). If cleaning on land, you might want a portable power washer yourself. If you are cleaning in the water, snorkel gear at the least.

I am assuming the Allen wrench set is to change zincs, correct? Then a ball peen hammer is helpful to give the zincs a whack to set them.

You might want a long handled scraper to remove barnacles.

Probably more items will come to mind. Oh, here's one: a plastic drop cloth to catch the stuff as many areas are starting to regulate what happens to the runoff from bottom cleaning. You should check on regs in your area too.

Good luck!

Tod

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Diving? A suction device to hold yourself in place is useful. Scotchbrite can be harsh, especially on ablatives. You want the softest scrub medium possible for the growth. Lanyards on everything.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-17-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
I need to assemble a common group of tools i will need for my new bottom cleaning business. This is my list so far, any recommendations would be great.

scotchbrite pads
2" scraper
6" flexible scraper
2"x2"x2' piece of wood
Allen key set
flat and straight screwdriver
rubber mallet
brass hammer

anything i have missed?
The fact that you're about to go steaming in with scotchbrite pads is scary. Try reading this :

http://www.coastal.ca.gov/nps/in-wat...-3-14-2012.pdf

You're supposed to be cleaning most paints with soft carpet.
Old 02-17-2014
Schooner Captain

Sorry, this will be underwater. Basing the scotchbrites on what I have seen used to clean bottoms by pros who do them now. they come in many grits, from soft to ultra heavy duty.

suction device sounds great!!! thank you.

Old 02-17-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

You will likely want a hooka or scuba tanks. But hooka is likely easier. You w ill want to make sure you are up to date on the regulations in your area. Yet are more likely to come after a new operator.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
You will likely want a hooka or scuba tanks. But hooka is likely easier. You w ill want to make sure you are up to date on the regulations in your area. Yet are more likely to come after a new operator.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Going with tanks. Hooka is far too costly. I will plan to buy at least 4 tanks. Eventually we will get a dive compressor for our own use.

Old 02-17-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I would suggest that four tanks, each requiring VIP and hydro certifications, and having them filled someplace, and commuting to get the fills, and the inevitable "Oh, your tank isn't ready, can you come back Tuesday?" are going to cost way more than a hookah will. And a small dive compressor chews through consumables, like filters, making it more expensive than shop fills. Just make sure you have considered everything when you run your numbers, especially those "consumables" and extra trips because the tanks weren't filled.

Cheapest source for ScotchBrite used to be from janitorial supply houses. They sell it for floor scrubbing machines in large discs (wheels) that are way cheaper than the small pads you buy elsewhere. But using ScotchBrite for bottom cleaning is getting slammed everywhere, even in Practical Sailor this month.
mitiempo and jimgo like this.
Old 02-17-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I would suggest that four tanks, each requiring VIP and hydro certifications, and having them filled someplace, and commuting to get the fills, and the inevitable "Oh, your tank isn't ready, can you come back Tuesday?" are going to cost way more than a hookah will. And a small dive compressor chews through consumables, like filters, making it more expensive than shop fills. Just make sure you have considered everything when you run your numbers, especially those "consumables" and extra trips because the tanks weren't filled.

Cheapest source for ScotchBrite used to be from janitorial supply houses. They sell it for floor scrubbing machines in large discs (wheels) that are way cheaper than the small pads you buy elsewhere. But using ScotchBrite for bottom cleaning is getting slammed everywhere, even in Practical Sailor this month.
I am finding AL80's for $35 each, plus hydros and vip and fill for $30. after that my dive shop fills them the same day. $5 each. We will not use the compressor until we are far from America.