SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   how to install head? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/12349-how-install-head.html)

razorseal 01-18-2006 02:05 AM

how to install head?

my new boat (''73 Newport 27s) that I just got supposedly has a 12 gallon holding tank (which I cant seem to find lol) and a porta potty in an enclosed head area... I noticed alot of people install heads to these... my question is, what is involved to install a hand pump marine toilet? is it ALOT of work? I guess I would need to run a water hose from the water tank to the toilet by drilling my way through (eek, sounds scary) and then where would I install the holding tank? and how do I dump out the holding tank? I believe there are ''pump out stations'' that I go to... how does that work? they have a big long hose that they plug into ur holding tank and it sucks it dry or something? what about all the stuff that is ''more dry'' (ya know what I mean lol) how do they take that out? is it some system that keeps a flow of water running while pumping out the stuff or something? I have also heard people dumping out the holding tank in the ocean offshore.... how do they do this?

sorry for the tons of questions, but I want to replace that nasty porta potty with a normal head! thanks!

razorseal 01-18-2006 02:06 AM

how to install head?

oh and if I wanted to get one installed instead of doing the work myself, how much would it run me? any idea?

Gord-May 01-18-2006 02:19 AM

how to install head?

The Holding Tank is often installed under the V-Berth.
I’ve posted a crude Marine Head Plumbing Diagram, on the CruisersForum & Photo Album, at:
http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//showphoto.php?photo=1553
HTH,
Gord

razorseal 01-18-2006 02:23 AM

how to install head?

I''ll check under the v-berth a little closer next time, but I''m sure i havent seen it there... i wonder if its possible that its under where the portapotty is?

does the holding tank smell? considering the vberth is where I sleep if i choose to stay on the boat

razorseal 01-18-2006 02:25 AM

how to install head?

lookin at ur diagram, this would mean the head would have to be installed while the boat is out of the water...

that looks like alot more work then I thought...

Gord-May 01-18-2006 03:34 AM

how to install head?

Yep, pretty difficult to install underwater thru-hulls while afloat.

razorseal 01-18-2006 04:34 AM

how to install head?

you say pretty hard

so its possible? how is that?

Gord-May 01-18-2006 06:31 AM

how to install head?

Sorry, I was being facetious about the “difficulty” in drilling holes through your hull when afloat - it’s just NOT practicable.

I neglected to indicate Holding Tank Vent lines on my CruisersForum plumbing diagram.

Holding Tank Vents:

The Sewage Holding Tank requires Venting, to allow for proper ventilation (eliminates odours) and to avoid creating a vacuum when pumping out. I recommend TWO Vent lines, promoting cross-ventilation.

Vent lines should connect to the top (not sides) of the Holding Tank, and continuously slope slightly upwards to the Vent Caps, which are installed as high as practicable on opposite sides of the hull. The Vent hoses should be at least 3/4" diameter (larger is better), and as short (direct path) as possible.

waltward 01-22-2006 06:49 PM

how to install head?

Hello razorseal

I have a friend (we will call him Bill, because that is his name) who owns a Newport 27 that he still owns after buying it new around the time you mention as the build year of your boat. Yes the tank is under the V-Birth. I think he had to replace the tank about two years ago. I am sure he can help you with all of the details of the installation, we no doubt could even take some pictures and send them to you via e-mail.

As I read your paragraph of questions, I have to believe that your boat was built with the Porta Potty option. For one thing if the factory did install the tank there would be a pump out fitting in the deck, which I am sure you would see, as well as the vent, which I think is just under the rub rail.

Bill lives about 5 blocks from me and I see him all the time. I will talk to him tomorrow, that will be Monday Jan. 23. To get this started you can drop me an e-mail -- waltw@twin-valley.net --.

Walt Ward - Northern Lower Michigan

Irwin32 01-22-2006 07:23 PM

how to install head?

Razorseal:

Installing a complete head system is a lot of work, but one an owner can do. Fitting a tank can be a problem as is running hoses in confined spaces. A good source for tanks is: http://www.raritaneng.com/products/holding_tanks/custom_tanks.html.

You need to examine the place you plan to put your tank and try to assess how difficult it will be to work in that area. You want the bottom of the tank completely supported so if the v berth under does not have a flat bottom, you will have to build one. You will probably have to glass in pieces of marine ply to support a tank.

Be sure to buy the very best hose you can find.