Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
Thimble necessary for mainsheet?

I am finally replacing the 4:1 mainsheet system I have on my 1985 27' Pearson. The bearings fell out of what was probably the original Harken fiddle block. I'm replacing with a Garhauer 30-06 US and a 30-01 US combo (thanks to Guido at Garhauer for awesome help) for less than half the price of a comparable Harken system. The original setup had a splice (a clamp ) with a thimble on the standing end of the mainsheet where it is attached to the becket of the fiddle block+cam cleat assembly (see photo).

Is the thimble preferred/necessary to reduce line stress? Is there a better thimble to use than the teardrop shape? Finally, who do you recommend to do custom splicing? I am looking at Defender since they have good prices on rope, but they want $18 for a custom splice. I'm toying with the idea of buying a fid with the rope purchase and trying it myself, but don't know if I am up to the effort or challenge.
Attached Thumbnails
Thimble necessary for mainsheet?-mainsheet.jpg  
Old 02-17-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Thimble necessary for mainsheet?

I can't really tell from the pic, but it seems that block could chafe right through an unprotected line. Probably why the thimble is used.

That thimble doesn't look spliced, but rather sewn, which is easier and ironically can be stronger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2014

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

I disagree. The becket on that fiddle block is made of Marlon and has a radius for line. A thimble is not needed. You can attach the line to the becket with a bowline or anchor hitch. I prefer a short splice myself. If you ever chafe through the cover, you can always cut the splice off and tie a bowline. My mainsheets all wear out from overstress long, long, before the splice begins to show wear.
Old 02-17-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
....The becket on that fiddle block is made of Marlon and has a radius for line......
Well, I said I could not tell from the pic. You must know this about that piece, as I can't see how the pic helped. If you're right about it having a plastic radius, a knot would certainly be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-17-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

The load and movement at that point in the line is so small it really doesn't matter. And as George pointed out the becket is large enough to spread the load some anyway.

In an absolute sence it probably reduces max load on the line by a few (2-3) percent. But it's lost in the noise.
Old 02-17-2014

For what its worth, all knots will reduce the breaking strength of a line by a minimum of 30% to as much as 60%. I believe a bowline is in the 40% range.

Should be moot, as the specs for breaking strength of our lines considers the excess necessary for this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 02-17-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I've always liked the look of a nice splice, even when a knot would do. If need to remove, just make the eye longer and feed the eye thru the becket and the end thru the eye to make a loop.
Old 02-17-2014

itsaboat is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input guys. Here is a slightly better pic of the setup. You can see the thimble setup hidden partially by the mainsheet. The becket is very small in diameter and under load I imagine it will put some significant kink stress on the line. So who is a good source for custom splicing?
Attached Thumbnails
Thimble necessary for mainsheet?-mainsheet2.jpg  
Old 02-18-2014
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Get a fid and splice it yourself. Useful skill to learn and you'll soon save the price of the fid(s).

Old 02-18-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I've done splicing myself; it isn't that hard. You can also try ZZ4TGA (I hope I got his username right!)
1975 Albacore 15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.