Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: Single line reefing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Paulo is right. Adjusting topping lift is the first step.
Adjusting the topping lift might be a necessary step but only if the topping lift is not already carrying the boom as the halyard is eased.

Tensioning the topping lift to raise the boom has some risk, you should only do it if essential. The issue being, if the topping lift is not reset after the reef is in, there's a chance to break something when you next trim the main closehauled.
Old 02-18-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

SF - you're right but find get the tack fairly tight first makes the line run smoother as the leech is totally loose. Even if you forget to ease it the leech remains open after the reef to remind you to let down the topping lift. I just tighten it a smidge so ( knock on wood) haven't broken anything yet.
Don't fully get the concern about long tails. With double line get two clutches, two tails and twice the opportunity for folks to pull the wrong line at night if they are not well familiar with the boat and positions of the clutches. Coastal don't rig the third reef as don't want that much string hanging on the sail so use the clutches for other things ( spin halyard etc.). Can be confusing. Tails just get flaked and dumped under the dodger anyways.

Last edited by outbound; 02-18-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2014

rbyham is on a distinguished road

Will experiment with topping lift which by the way when I stepped the mast last March, I forgot to run in advance. Bummer. Have not yet made going up the mast part of my first year learning curve. Oh well it may be time to go up, rig the topping lift, check rigging, and do a couple other things... Thanks all!
Old 07-15-2014

Zarathu is on a distinguished road

Have no idea what this means:

"The second is using a block (or Antal-style low friction ring) instead of the cringle. An easy way to do this is to put a ring on one side of the sail, an Antal ring on the other side of the sail, and connect them with a piece of sewn webbing (sail makers call that a "dog-bone") or soft shackle. The other advantage of using a block or low friction ring is that both sides of the reefing line run on one side of the sail, they won't crush and chafe the sail when reefed."

Can somone post a photo?

Could you simply not just put a teflon spray lubrication on the reefing line now and then at all the critical parts, for example: http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963...ductId=1059839

Last edited by Zarathu; 07-15-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-15-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

See Knuterikt's setup in this thread (is actually for a cunningham, I think):

Low friction rings for single-line reefing
Old 07-15-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

That is an Antal ring dogboned to another stainless ring using a soft shackle (a too long for the job soft shackle, but it works).

The one part of this photo that I don't like is the load that is placed on the mast-mounted padeye.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 07-15-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post

That is an Antal ring dogboned to another stainless ring using a soft shackle (a too long for the job soft shackle, but it works).

The one part of this photo that I don't like is the load that is placed on the mast-mounted padeye.
The block from Sparcraft in this picture is the lead for my tack reefing line (two line reefing setup). This block give little friction and good lead, the rope go down to a mast base block.

christian.hess likes this.
Old 07-15-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I have to agree with two line the set up that Knuterikt is showing. I have never seen a single-line reefing system that really works properly. While the friction can be tamed some by the low friction devices that Alex suggests, the problem with a single line system in my mind is that the clew tension is controlled by the luff tension and so one is bound to be too tight or too loose. Plus there are times when you need a reef but you want to ease the outhaul slightly to power through waves. You cannot do that with a single line system without loosening the luff and allowing the tack to float upward.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 07-15-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Look at the drawing from Bartonmarine..

The setup shown is with the reefing line external to the boom.

Notice the lead of the "tack" end of the setup with the block on the mast well forward of the goose neck and then through the reef cringle and to the same point on the other side of the mast before going aft.
This is to avoid increasing friction when the luff gets pulled down first (as it will normally do since there is less rope to pull down at the tack).

I have sailed on a Hanse 470, on this boat the friction suddenly increased when the luff was pulled down to the boom - by examining the system at this point we discovered that the reef block sewn onto the luff of the sail interfered with the reefing line where it exited the boom making it extra hard to pull the leach down. The quick fix was to send a crew to the mast and push on the block, I newer bothered to find a permanent fix...
Old 07-15-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

On my boat you can get the best (or worst?) of both worlds by using single line reefing and moving the cunningham hook to the reef tack cringle.

This lets me reef from the cockpit with a single line. Once the boat is reefed I can go forward and move the cunningham hook up to the new tack. Now my reef line is controlling the clew and the cunningham line is controlling the tack.