Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-22-2006

offline2004 is on a distinguished road
Buffing the Hull - Random Orbital Buffer?

I purchased my 1996 Hunter 336 in 2004. The boat had been on the hard for a season and had some minor oxidation on the hull. A little one step wax from West did the job and she looked great however my arm nearly fell off in the process.

Looking for thoughts on using an Random Orbital Buffer to clean her up this off season. Any recommendations on brand of buffers or cleaners for the hull? She has built up a decent amount of "chalking" and oxidation over the past two seasons.

Thanks!

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Try an auto shop - I use a Turtle Wax orbital that has worked out real well - easy to hold and very smooth operating. I recommend all the Maguire cleaner/polisher/wax products - they may be cheaper at the auto store than the boat store...

I''m surprised you have much oxidation on such a new boat. I guess I''ll bite my tongue regarding my opnion of Hunters. Hopefully uyou should only need to use wax on it...

Tom
Old 01-23-2006

roddandcara is on a distinguished road

It is nearly impossible to get good results using a cheap buffer. I tried numerous under $100.00 buffers and until I got the Makita I have now never got the results I wanted. I discovered that you need a buffer with a slow "no load" speed and good 3M buffing pads. Pads come in different "weights" usually the whiter the wool the more abrasive the pad. Use a more aggressive pad for oxidation and then when you "polish" move to a "fine" weight pad. I actually got so frustrated with my results that I paid the local body shop bufing guru to teach me the fine art. I paid them an hours labor and he shared all the tricks with me it was well worth it! This is where I leanred about pad weights, compound buff wax and the fact that there are no shortcuts!

Buffing a hull is always at least a three step process if it''s oxidized. First compound with the lightest compound that will remove the oxidation. Second polish the hull with something even finer than 3M Finesse It. I like McGuires #9 Swirl Remover for the polishing step. The third step does not require the buffer and it''s the wax stage. To get the best, longest lasting results use a carnuba paste wax like Colinite Fleet Wax or 3M''s carnuba paste wax. Here''s a link to a great buffer. The feature I like best is that you can control the speed with the thumb wheel. Just copy and paste the link into your address bar..

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=9227CY
Old 01-24-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

Good advise from Acoustic. I like the 3M products. Finesse It is a great polish.

One more point, with Heavy Oxidation you may want to consider going to a wet sanding process. Usually reserved for older boats say of the seventies vintage. With my old boat, I found that I was working very hard to get the results I wanted using rubbing compound. I went to wet sanding and found the results were superior with less effort.
Old 01-24-2006

offline2004 is on a distinguished road

Many thanks.

I may be incorrect in my use of "oxidation". There is a very chalky film on the hull. I was down yesterday and and used a one-step wax/cleaner that cleaned it right up on the small section I tried.

I will likely use this with either the makita or porter cable buffer and then go with a second wax as recommended for longer term protection.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.