Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road
Nature's Head or Airhead

We are just about ready to buy a composter. We are leaning toward the Airhead. The advantages we see are the more of a household type of seat and the fact that it does not need to be opened to empty the liquid container.

Yet it does seem that the Nature's Head is the more popular model. Maybe some sailnetters can either confirm our choice or steer us the other way.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Nature's Head or Airhead

I'm working on buying one myself.

I was originally going to go with the Natures Head, but when I saw both of them at the Annapolis Boat Show this past Oct., I decided to go with the Airhead instead. My reason for that decision is because the space I have to install one isn't very big. The extra 2" clearance needed behind the NH to open the lid for removal of anything didn't appeal to me. The AH can be installed closer to the bulkhead behind it. The AH is also slightly smaller than the NH.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 02-20-2014

Azzarac is on a distinguished road

We will be placing an order next month for our new Airhead. As you stated, our reason for going the Airhead route was not having to open the body to remove the liquid container. Also, as Rhapsody said above, the footprint is just a tad smaller and we can use every inch of floor space. We will be ordering the model with the larger seat however.

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow Chameleon's travels at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

I looked long and hard at both models. I settled on a Nature's Head, mainly b/c it fit a little better in our space, and it was slightly cheaper. But quite frankly, I don't think there are any substantive differences between the two. They each do some things slightly differently (pee bottle placement, seat, how they're emptied, etc.), but after using mine for a while I'm quite sure there'd be no substantial difference in actual practice.

I will say, I do like my NH, and have received outstanding customer service from the company. That counts for something.
Old 02-20-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Between the big three as I see it from my research:

Air Head:
+urine bottle changing
-I believe there were some cracking issues when they first came out (use cation if you buy used)

Natures head:
+a bit more durable construction
+looks a bit simpler to set up
-some complaints of the liquid separator not working effectively

C-Head
+price
+most everything can be replaced out of home depot
-looks like it came from Home Depot

I have read that all three are very good at customer service and stand behind there products. I have been leaning to either Air Head or C-Head. C-Head for price and Airhead for ease of bottle emptying. I had originally thought Natures head as I like that it is mostly one piece. I am still considering making my own as well. But if I do I will make some sort of stiring mechanism like the C-Head.
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Between the big three as I see it from my research:

Air Head:
+urine bottle changing
-I believe there were some cracking issues when they first came out (use cation if you buy used)

Natures head:
+a bit more durable construction
+looks a bit simpler to set up
-some complaints of the liquid separator not working effectively

C-Head
+price
+most everything can be replaced out of home depot
-looks like it came from Home Depot
Nice list. To add a few more negatives:

- I read some critiques about the AH having issues with the gadget seals failing.

- On my NH, the venting fan died for some reason. It was replaced without question and without cost by NH, but there you go.

- The C-Head's major negative (to me) is the fact that its main tank is about 1/2 the size of AH and NH. This means you're dumping twice as often. I'm sure it still does fine, but that was the major reason I focused on AH and NH.
Old 02-20-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

I saw a discussion somewhere about the fan placement of the NH being a negative, as it 1)pushes, not pulls the air; and 2)is at the bottom of the hose and thus any condensation will run to the fan. 2)can be answered by a loop, though

I did note the Home Depot appearance of the CH can be somewhat mitigated by spending a bit more and ordering it in mahogany or teak laminate

Watching this thread with interest, though. thanks y'all
Old 02-20-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Nice list. To add a few more negatives:

- I read some critiques about the AH having issues with the gadget seals failing.

- On my NH, the venting fan died for some reason. It was replaced without question and without cost by NH, but there you go.

- The C-Head's major negative (to me) is the fact that its main tank is about 1/2 the size of AH and NH. This means you're dumping twice as often. I'm sure it still does fine, but that was the major reason I focused on AH and NH.
That I was not aware of, so AH adn NH are like 10 gallons? Seems that could get pretty heavy, I guess depending on what you eat! That may not be all that bad, just empty more often, not like the liquids jar (and that is a gallon) that has to be emptied all the time. The seals leaking may be what I was remembering. My understanding was they fixed the issue what ever it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
I saw a discussion somewhere about the fan placement of the NH being a negative, as it 1)pushes, not pulls the air; and 2)is at the bottom of the hose and thus any condensation will run to the fan. 2)can be answered by a loop, though

I did note the Home Depot appearance of the CH can be somewhat mitigated by spending a bit more and ordering it in mahogany or teak laminate

Watching this thread with interest, though. thanks y'all
For me what looks home depot is the stir stick assembly, basically PVC pipe with some 90 degrees. While great for replacement ease, just looks cheesy to me.
Old 02-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
That I was not aware of, so AH adn NH are like 10 gallons? Seems that could get pretty heavy, I guess depending on what you eat! That may not be all that bad, just empty more often, not like the liquids jar (and that is a gallon) that has to be emptied all the time.
Yes, NH & AH main tanks are about twice as large as the C-head. NH's pee bottle is 2.2 gallons (AH is basically the same: 2 gallons), but the nice thing with C-head is you use standard store bottles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
NH's standard setup has the fan pulling air out of the main compartment, and then pushing it out the vent hose. The other recommended setup is to install a solar vent (nicro) at the deck level.

+1 on the hose loop idea.
Old 02-20-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

In regards capacity and weight, at least for the fecal matter: it might be worth keeping in mind that the 'product' is desiccated, or should be, thus the volume weight should be less than, um, fresh, if you take my meaning. Yes?