Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014

Jiminri is on a distinguished road
Outboard - new or used?

I'm considering getting an outboard motor to go with an 8 foot inflatable roll-up dink. Just need to get from anchorages in Chesapeake Bay to shore or town--so short distances and I suspect 2 - 3 hp or so would be fine.

Should I be looking to buy a new 4 stroke? Or look for a used 2 stroke? If used, what should I look for to avoid buying someone else's problem?

Light weight is a plus. Reliability is key. So, is being easy to maintain or learn to maintain.

Thanks for your advice. Last time I had much use for an outboard, I was misspending my youth camping on the islands in Narragansett Bay. Fun times, but that was (sadly) some time ago... (Richard Nixon was President).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road
Re: Outboard - new or used?

2 strokes are dirty burning and you have to add oil to the gas but they are light and dependable. 4 strokes are clean burning, quiet no adding oil to gas but heavier and my own experience not as easy to start as a 2 stk. but if you maintain a 4 stk then starting shouldn't be a problem. I just picked up a Yamaha 2 stk and it starts on the second pull every time cold or hot, I had a Honda 4 stk and it took 3 to 4 pulls sometimes 6 pulls to get it to fire and that was after a service (tune up) was done to it. It didn't make a difference if I tuned it or a dealer did.

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Well, I have a new mercury 2hp four stroke that I don't need, because I bought a two stroke. It's still under warrantee, if you are interested, pm me.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 02-20-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

im all about old school reliable and very affordable outboards

best bang for buck here

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 02-20-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Four stroke. Used if you can find a good deal. They do seem to be in high demand in my part of the world so they sell used for a lot. So much so that every time someone lists a sailboat with a nice one, half the calls are from fishers wanting just the outboard.

So I vote new mercury 2.5 or 4 hp four stroke. With a built in fuel tank.

Two strokes stink and pollute. Kind of the opposite effect of a sailboat. They are a lot louder too, and get much worse miles per gallon.

Sometimes at the dealers you can get a year old one on sale. I like yamaha best. But for a dinghy I'll still say a cheaper mercury. You won't put the wear on it like your boat motor.

Old 02-21-2014

hopcar is on a distinguished road

Weight is the issue with all four stroke engines. I'm comfortable handling an engine up to about fifty pounds. That limits me to about 5hp in a four stroke. That should be fine in your application.

I'm a dealer for Lehr propane outboards so let me put in a plug for them. They are real easy to start. They are very clean to run and refuel. They are pretty simple to maintain and work on. Carbs don't gum up. No ethanol damage. The fuel can be stored forever without going bad. In most places propane is cheaper than gasoline.

The draw back is that propane isn't often available in marinas. It is the most popular cooking fuel in the world so it's available almost everywhere, but you might have to hunt for it. The other draw back is that the service network is small right now. It is growing fast and Lehr has terrific telephone support.

I own a 2.5 Lehr that I use on an 8' Avon Roll Up and another inflatable that is 12 feet long. It pushes both fine. I have an eleven pound fiberglass tank that I should get about twenty hours of run time from at 3/4 throttle. The 2.5 Lehr weighs 38 pounds.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 02-21-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

id love a propane outboard!

the comments about stink an pollution, comon guys...these 2 2 strokes I have just put a pic of are some of the most reliable, quiet, and great performing outboards of all time

and they are exactly what sailors are about...

you want to take apart a 4 stroke on your bench on your boat mid cruise? highly doubtful...

Im not advocating 2 strokes Im just advocating simplicity

and about pollution you actually polute more because you think people around the world have recycle oil centers all over when you dump your dirt oil after an oil change?

we felt very bad when cruising around(with a big diesel inboard) as we often times had no where nice to put used oil...poeple would say yes drop it here only to dump it right in front of our eyes into the dirt or trash or whatever...

anywhoo

4 strokes outboards are better now than they used to be, they used to suffer from reliablty and starting issues...but have improved...

they are simply too heavy for the power they produce especially the small engines...small d2 person dinghy easy to haul for one person that type...

they are not light, simple or easy maintenance when compared to older engines...however they are super quiet, torquey, great overall performers.

just sayin

dont shoot the messenger
Group9 and benesailor like this.

Last edited by christian.hess; 02-21-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-21-2014

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road

the bang for your buck will be with the 2 stroke outboard. With how popular the 4 stroke outboards have become, 2 stroke motors are cheap and abundant. The only down side is mixing the oil
Group9 and christian.hess like this.
Old 02-21-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopcar View Post
Weight is the issue with all four stroke engines. I'm comfortable handling an engine up to about fifty pounds. That limits me to about 5hp in a four stroke. That should be fine in your application.

I'm a dealer for Lehr propane outboards so let me put in a plug for them. They are real easy to start. They are very clean to run and refuel. They are pretty simple to maintain and work on. Carbs don't gum up. No ethanol damage. The fuel can be stored forever without going bad. In most places propane is cheaper than gasoline.

The draw back is that propane isn't often available in marinas. It is the most popular cooking fuel in the world so it's available almost everywhere, but you might have to hunt for it. The other draw back is that the service network is small right now. It is growing fast and Lehr has terrific telephone support.

I own a 2.5 Lehr that I use on an 8' Avon Roll Up and another inflatable that is 12 feet long. It pushes both fine. I have an eleven pound fiberglass tank that I should get about twenty hours of run time from at 3/4 throttle. The 2.5 Lehr weighs 38 pounds.
great info, Id love one...maybe sometime, propane is used for everything here including cars...

just from a weoght perspective for example propane outboards seem to be the middle ground between old school 2 strokes and 4 strokes today

my evinrude for example is supposed to be 12kg...but its a 3.3 not the lightest but very nice power to weight ratio

like you 50 lbs is my magic number for hauling an outboard

the big johnson 15 seahorse in the pic weighs around 85lbs or so...heavy for me and worse since its a longshaft but it will be used with a davit and pulley system...

Old 02-21-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
the bang for your buck will be with the 2 stroke outboard. With how popular the 4 stroke outboards have become, 2 stroke motors are cheap and abundant. The only down side is mixing the oil
hardly a downside huh?

kind of like making a vinagrette...2 parts oil to 1 vinegar cept for outboards its much less acid!

jajajajaa