Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-22-2014

cthoops is on a distinguished road
Rebedding chainplates

Mr. cthoops and I had a great season last year - our first as boat owners.

We were down at the boat today greasing and lapping the sea cocks when Mr. Cthoops noticed that we have some water penetration at the port chainplate. It wasn't evident last year, and I suspect the heavy snow we've had this winter was the final straw. The prior owner (who owned the boat for over 15 years) said he had pulled them a few times and always wondered why he bothered because it had been dry, so I don't think this is a situation where they were neglected for the past 20 years.

It looks like rebedding the chainplates is going to be our first "real" maintenance project on the boat. We have Don Casey's "This Old Boat" and we are also scouring the internet for info, but I was looking for any tips others might have. Is this something that can be done in a day? Can we use butyl (thereby not having to wait until late March or April for warmer temps) or do we need to use epoxy or 3M. The instructions for 3M say not to apply in temps under 40 degrees. If it's in the mid-40's but drops down to freezing at night, will it just take longer to cure, or do we need to wait until temps stay above 40 day and night?

Attached is the picture of the area that showed us something was up.

If you can't tell yet, any suggestions or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Rebedding chainplates-img_0693.jpg  

Last edited by cthoops; 02-22-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Rebedding chainplates

are the plates behind that box?

many ways to bed plates..

I used sikaflex, butyl is good, stretchy sealants...whatever

it does depend a bit on hoy they are installed but Im a fan of only sealing from the top...never from under...that way if you do spring a leak you can trace it better

all I see in your pic is some damp wood at the bottom of that box joint

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2014

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I redid one of mine with butyl from the top, basically squeezed as much into the area as I could, tightened the cover down and tidied up any ooze. Been fine since.

Old 02-23-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Only sealing the top is correct - for all deck fittings. If you seal top & bottom a top leak will go into the core or elsewhere into the boat.

You should remove the chains to check them for crevice corrosion where they pass through the deck.

When you have the chains out, take the opportunity to seal any exposed core with epoxy. Then chamfer or countersink the top of the hole they go in to create an "O-ring" for the sealant to squeeze into.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-24-2014

ambianceack is on a distinguished road

Mainesail has a "sticky" on the top of the the Gear and Maintenance page here at Sailnet.com. That will provide you with the information you are looking for to re-bed the deck hardware.
Old 02-24-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I just finished digging out all the caulk and sealant (including silicone) from the previous owner's decades of stuff and go.

Butyl tape from MaineSail's web site is the way to go, and just from the top as the idea is to keep water out, not seal it in.
Old 02-24-2014

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

A good idea is to also pot the holes with thickened epoxy so any leakage comes into the cabin and not the deck core. I rebedded mine a few years ago and potted the holes and used butyl from MaineSail. No leaks.

Chainplate Rebedding - TKRonaBoat

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 02-24-2014

James757 is on a distinguished road

Will any butyl tape work or is there a marine version that should be used. Sorry for the question, but I do not want to pick up the tape from Home Depot only to find out it failed because I have the wrong kind.
Old 02-24-2014

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by James757 View Post
Will any butyl tape work or is there a marine version that should be used. Sorry for the question, but I do not want to pick up the tape from Home Depot only to find out it failed because I have the wrong kind.
No. This is the best stuff to use: ***Buy Bed-It Butyl Tape*** Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

-----------------------------------------------------
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim R. For This Useful Post:
James757 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by James757 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Well any will work for a while, but most "home depot" or "RV" parts places does not seem to last long. Since this is not a job you want to do often then I think it makes a lot of sense to do it once and do it right. Maine Sail's stuff is known to be a good and not that much more than the cheap stuff. So it does not really makes sense to use anything else. Plus you help support one of the best do it yourself and objective testing sites out there. (it is not like he is going to retire off of the stuff though)