Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Installing dodger questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
Oops... Here's the needed pic...

A good canvas guy can re-cut that for short money and do a nice install. You already need new glass so just have them do the whole thing..
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

x2...take a pic send to a canvas or even better a car upholestery shop, why better cause they are much cheaper

I had some work done up in california by a VERY skilled mexican upholester, he did stuff for my boat as well as an old honda cb750...redid seats, foam etc...

try to avoid sail lofts as they will be much more expensive

do yourself a favor and buy scrap sumbrella or dodger canvas as well as some uv resistant thread(nylon)

then with dodger, thread, and scraps say you need this trimmed here and there, reinforced here, made to this shape...show pic

thats all most good canvas or upholester workers need

they have great eyes for detail

I just had my dodger fixed and stitched and reinforced down here

$25 bucks and I have a nice sealed and refitted dodger

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-23-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
The dodger has several sewn in female parts of the twist connectors. Not sure what those are called. Maybe a combination of the twist connectors and snaps would yield an acceptable and sufficiently strong result.
That's what holds most of my dodger own, with some snaps, too. I don't think velcro would cut it without something else anchoring the main attachment points.

I think I would get the mail side of the oval twist lock connecters and put them in. Those can get in the way when the dodger is off, though. And, I leave mine off in the summer.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 02-25-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2014

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

For the leading edge that attaches to the cabin top mine has a piece of teak screwed to the cabin top . The leading edge of the teak is angled back to match the angle of the leading edge of the dodger , lift dot pegs are screwed in the teak . Lift dot females are in the dodger .
Old 02-23-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I would highly recommend against snaps, unless you are sailing in fresh water. They corrode up pretty quickly and become unusable, often tearing out with the pressure necessary to open them. There are Twist Studs that are stronger, never corrode and they cannot open accidentally. The only drawback is you must have the female pieces installed by a canvas person, unless you want to buy a $300.00 tool.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2014

rbyham is on a distinguished road

Thanks all. This confirms velcro as a bad idea. If you look close each key corner has the female/receiver part of a common sense connector so I think I could get away at least for temporary with installing some studs where needed. To show how cheap I can be, i took the dodger home, let it warm up indoors and then with a hairdryer got the strategiesStrataglass supple again. I then cleaned the torn sections carefully and with more heat pulled the tears together nicely and applied clear vinyl tape. Again a temp fix but one that causes the dodger to better hold its shape. This will allow me to go for a tight fit on the boat using the common sense connectors. After that I will get better pics and work with canvas guy during hot summer months. Hope to update with pics unless it looks too ugly. :-)
Old 02-24-2014

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
For the leading edge that attaches to the cabin top mine has a piece of teak screwed to the cabin top . The leading edge of the teak is angled back to match the angle of the leading edge of the dodger , lift dot pegs are screwed in the teak . Lift dot females are in the dodger .
This works very well and also helps keep water from running under the dodger in bad weather.
No matter what type of fastener you use monthly lubrication (I use Vaseline) will help the longevity.

Last edited by FSMike; 02-24-2014 at 09:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FSMike For This Useful Post:
Markwesti (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

You can also hit your fasteners with a shot of silicone to keep corrosion down.

Do, though, be picky about what you clean the Strataglass with. Don't use windex or the like. General cleaning with soap and water. You can buy specific cleaner for Strataglass, IMAR is pretty good stuff. You use it quite sparingly, it'll last a long time

The Care and Feeding of Strataglass
Old 02-24-2014
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road

It looks like if you moved the stainless frame back a few inches, the curved bottom of the dodger would miss that fixed portlight. I don't know how much you can move it back before it no longer covers the seahood though.
Don't use silicon spray without protecting for overspray (you don't want it on the deck)
Tartan 37-C, #59
Old 02-24-2014

rbyham is on a distinguished road

Thanks all. I went with the common sense connectors. Came out pretty good. Will probably have a pro fit it to boat when it gets warmer around here.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing dodger questions-rps20140224_203019_705.jpg   Installing dodger questions-rps20140224_203039_855.jpg  
Group9 likes this.