Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-25-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Installing dodger questions

That looks quite a bit better than I would think a repurposed dodger from a different boat ever could. However, I would remain concerned that the flap over your side window is going to flog and do some damage. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2014

rbyham is on a distinguished road

Yes it came out well leaving me now with a different question. My profile pic shows the original bimini still in place. It is now gone but would appear to be a candidate to shade the rest of the cockpit if hung right. It fits length and width wise real well. The challenge is height. Using the coaming just forward of the primary winches would seem most natural. However how do I get the needed 6" height increase needed to give me clear vision forward over top of dodger.
Old 03-05-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

One idea would be to take/cut the bottom bracket off the existing frame and make extensions. The extension I'm envisioning would have 2 pieces. The first piece is the main, "outer" piece and is your desired 6" long piece and it matches the outer and inner diameters of the existing frame. If it was mounted using set-screws, the original bracket can be reused and put at the bottom of this first piece. The second piece of the extension is an inner tube whose outer diameter is the same as (actually just a HAIR smaller than) the inner diameter of your existing frame's tube. This one would be cut to be about 12" long. The inner tube slides inside the main, outer extension tube and also into the existing frame. Set-screws, pins, or bolts are used to attach the inner piece/tube to both the existing frame and the outer piece of the extension.

Another idea would be to use something like this:
Stainless Steel Rail Fitting Tees 90 deg 1-1/4"

Or this:

Stainless Steel Connection 1"

I'm not sure how well something as short as those would work if someone pulls on/leans on/falls against the bimini, though. I think I'd prefer to have some of the force distributed along a bigger portion of the frame, that's why I suggested the set-up above. Of course, never having actually done any of these options, I could be WAY off base, but...

And, of course, the most obvious way to get the desired 6" is to buy a new bimini that is taller than you need and "just" cut it down.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.