Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-26-2014

IStream is on a distinguished road
Re: Magnum 2000 charger/inverter install

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbrown View Post
Thanks for the correction. It seems I was off by a bit. According to the attached chart 12 volts is 30% charge and 12.2 is 50%. Although I was quite a bit closer than Istream.

a simple flip of the main breaker on the 12 volt panel is all that is required to unload the batteries.

It has been my experience that the amp counters are not in the least bit dependable. If I were going to use one (which I wouldn't ) I would still be using the voltage as the final decision maker when deciding on charge state.
I think you'll find that even a draw as low as C/100 will shift that curve quite a bit. Flipping the main breaker will kill most loads but if any of the 24 hour circuits that bypass the breaker are active, they can shift that curve enough to make a big difference.

If you had a bad experience with a shunt system I can understand your reluctance to use one, but in my experience they work well under real-world conditions. The only problems I've seen with the approach are due to poorly set parameters on the monitor (e.g. the known issues with the default parameters for the Xantrex Link monitors, see: Link-series Charging Algorithms -- The "Gotcha" Factor!).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStream View Post
I think you'll find that even a draw as low as C/100 will shift that curve quite a bit. Flipping the main breaker will kill most loads but if any of the 24 hour circuits that bypass the breaker are active, they can shift that curve enough to make a big difference.

If you had a bad experience with a shunt system I can understand your reluctance to use one, but in my experience they work well under real-world conditions. The only problems I've seen with the approach are due to poorly set parameters on the monitor (e.g. the known issues with the default parameters for the Xantrex Link monitors, see: Link-series Charging Algorithms -- The "Gotcha" Factor!).
I don't want to be argumentative so this will be my last post. If there are loads other than bilge pumps you should really be thinking about changing the way things are wired.

And if there is a load it would make you think the batteries are lower than they really are. So you would charge them. no harm no foul.

For your information, I always try to convince people not to over complicate their boats. you can have the conveniences you want but there is a simple way of doing it. Although fixing all the supper complex junk that people have been put on their boats keeps guys like me working.
Old 02-26-2014

IStream is on a distinguished road

Ditto, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I don't doubt that what you're doing works for you and your boat. If you've got a clean wiring setup without a bunch of parasitic 24 hours loads (e.g. bilge pumps with solid state water sensors, stereo preset memory backup, etc., etc.) so you can get a true open circuit voltage measurement and you're not making your voltage measurements at different temperatures within the same discharge cycle, your method is totally valid.

I was just trying to make the point that the current sensing method works well too and is tolerant of a lot of wiring sins, temperature variation, battery styles, etc. and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a workable, even preferable, solution without having access to the boat in question.
Old 02-27-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Here is a chart from Trojan showing SOC vs voltage as well as specific gravity.

Specific gravity should be checked seldom, only really necessary when equalizing batteries. It is a good way to introduce dirt and foreign material into the electrolyte which leads to the death of a battery. Voltage can be used for checking state of charge but requires a resting battery. After charging it can take 12 hours or more without load for the electrolyte to mix thoroughly for an accurate reading. A good battery monitor - Victron is one example - is the most accurate method of determining state of charge as long as it is calibrated properly when installed. It should be synchronized regularly when the batteries are known to be fully charged, for example when you have been on shorepower with a charger in use for example.