Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-25-2014
Whitewater to Seawater

Zoya is on a distinguished road
Magnum 2000 charger/inverter install

A dealer in Annapolis wants $3,000 to install a Magnum 2000W charger/inverter plus $1,350 for a Xantrex Link 2000 battery monitor. So, $4,350 total, that looks a bit steep considering that the Magnum 2000 typically sells for $1,700 and the Xantrex Link 2000 battery monitor for a few hundreds. So my questions are:

-The boat already has a battery charger working with shore power, why would I need an power inverter with charging capability? Can I just get a inverter?

- Balmar Smartgage is only $350 and seems to be just what I need

Am I getting gouged?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2014

IStream is on a distinguished road
Re: Magnum 2000 charger/inverter install

Well, it seems steep to me by about $1K. If the Magnum install includes their ME-RC50 remote control panel (which it should, it's about $200), you can add single bank monitoring functionality to their system for another $200. See:
Battery Monitor Kit (ME-BMK) | Magnum Energy, Inc.

I've got a Magnum MSH3012 (MSH-M Series Inverter/Charger | Magnum Energy, Inc.) with the remote and battery monitor. The hardware cost me $2150 total at the boatshow and I put it in myself but depending on the complexity of your install, I could see it costing ~$1K to have a pro do the job. So I'd estimate somewhere in the low $3K range.

Yes, you could always add a separate battery monitor and inverter, but you won't save much on labor going this route and the integrated units are very convenient.
Old 02-26-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
A dealer in Annapolis wants $3,000 to install a Magnum 2000W charger/inverter plus $1,350 for a Xantrex Link 2000 battery monitor. So, $4,350 total, that looks a bit steep considering that the Magnum 2000 typically sells for $1,700 and the Xantrex Link 2000 battery monitor for a few hundreds. So my questions are:

-The boat already has a battery charger working with shore power, why would I need an power inverter with charging capability? Can I just get a inverter?

- Balmar Smartgage is only $350 and seems to be just what I need

Am I getting gouged?

Thanks.
The inverter install is well within the realm especially if it is an MS-2000 series with the ME-ARC remote.

The Link 2000 is way off the mark...? They have not made a Link 2000 in at at least 10 years...

Get the Magnum ME-BMK and this will work with either the ME-RC or the ME-ARC remote display..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-26-2014
Whitewater to Seawater

Zoya is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys and so, what do I need a charger/inverter if the boat already has its own battery charging system?

Best.
Old 02-26-2014

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

You don't need the charg/inverter if you already have a charger. In fact I work on boats for a living and prefer to see separate units as it makes problem diagnosis easier. A good 2000 watt inverter shouldn't cost you more than 500 dollars.

Also you don't really need the amp counting meter either as voltage is the best way to tell the charge state. A 12 volt battery should be 12.6 volts when full charged and should not be allowed to go below 12 volts. usually around 50% chg at 12 volts. these measurements should be with no load.
Old 02-26-2014

You don't *need* a combined unit but they are convenient, with automatic charging upon connection to an AC source, simpler wiring, integrated battery monitoring, etc. The troubleshooting advantage of having separate devices is true in theory but my experience in practice is that an inverter/charger is one of the most reliable devices you can put on a boat. Hell, I just pulled a perfectly good Heart Interface Freedom 2000 inverter/charger out after 20 years of yeoman service. The only reason I upgraded was for true sine power for some electronics I have that don't like the modified waveform, an AGM charging program, and the ability to use a small generator to augment inversion from the batteries if I choose.

If you're going to pay ~$2K to install a simple inverter and battery monitor to complement your existing charger, I'd argue that it's worth putting the extra ~$1K in to do it with an integrated inverter/charger. If your existing charger is nice, maybe you can sell it to defray the incremental cost of the inverter/charger. If your existing charger isn't worth anything on the used market, I'd argue you're probably gonna get a better charger going integrated.
Old 02-26-2014

telecam is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing your knowledge IStream. This is for a 2013 Beneteau which comes from factory with a good (I assume) battery charger and LCD monitor on the electrical panel so, that is why I was wondering why an inverter with a charging function was needed.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbrown View Post
Also you don't really need the amp counting meter either as voltage is the best way to tell the charge state. A 12 volt battery should be 12.6 volts when full charged and should not be allowed to go below 12 volts. usually around 50% chg at 12 volts. these measurements should be with no load.
An unloaded lead acid battery falls to 12.0 volts at around 15% state of charge. If you get that low, you're doing damage. At 50% SOC, it'll sit around 12.5V. That means that you've got a dynamic range of only 0.1V from fully charged to maximum safe discharge, which requires a very accurate voltmeter if you want any kind of measurement resolution. In fact, the available voltage swing is even less than this because if the battery is cold, it's effective capacity drops so your calibration of voltage versus SOC is temperature-dependent. Add in the fact that it can be difficult to achieve an unloaded state every time you want/need to check the voltage, and you've got a much less robust method than by monitoring current via a shunt in the ground leg.
Old 02-26-2014

Thanks for the correction. It seems I was off by a bit. According to the attached chart 12 volts is 30% charge and 12.2 is 50%. Although I was quite a bit closer than Istream.

a simple flip of the main breaker on the 12 volt panel is all that is required to unload the batteries.

It has been my experience that the amp counters are not in the least bit dependable. If I were going to use one (which I wouldn't ) I would still be using the voltage as the final decision maker when deciding on charge state.

I have never had a set of batteries last less than 8 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Magnum 2000 charger/inverter install-article-2011october-battery-fuel-guages-fig1.jpg  
Old 02-26-2014

One more thing. Since batteries from different manufacturers tend to have slightly different voltage/charge curves it is best to use a hydrometer to figure out when your batteries are at 50% charge and then see what the voltage is and use that as your lowest