Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-19-2006

aphil138 is on a distinguished road
Navman anyone?

Anyone have an opinion on Navman instruments. I dread having to fix my DataMarine wind transducer again and might as well bite the bullet and replace with soemthing newer. I understand that the Navman NavBus is compatible with the new NMEA 2000 standard.
Alan

Last edited by aphil138; 02-22-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2006

canopus22 is on a distinguished road
I have a Navman GPS and wind device, both are trouble free and work very well.
Old 02-22-2006

aphil138 is on a distinguished road
I started out wanting to get the DataMarine Wind transducer repaired. At an estimate of about 200.00 I figured thats about half the cost of a new one, why not just buy new. SO, what to install? Do I just replace the wind.. or depth and speed too?
Most of the companies sell whole packages at a cost less than replacing them one by one, so it makes sense to buy a package deal. So what started out by trying to save 200., the cost is over 1100 now. When you add in some kind of pod to put them in.
NavMan is only MNEA 0183, Nexus(NX2) is NMEA 2000
The Nexus unit is way more money esp. if you consider that it's only 1 display and a server. With Navman, you get the 3 discrete displays(Wind,speed and depth)And a Repeater. Speaking of which, if the NX2 server dies (Intel CPU) your left with no instruments.
Raymarine seems to be over priced plus might be harder to interface other manufacturers GPS, AutoPilot and/or Radar later on.
I know you get what you pay for.. can there be that much difference or am I over thinking this?
Old 02-23-2006

paulmcquillan is on a distinguished road
Nexus all the way. We get more, and more accurate, data than everthing but the most expensive Okam race packages.

Love the fact that the Nexus parts work with the NX2 parts (except the depth transducer).
Old 02-23-2006
Morgan 382 Tropical Wave

John_colpitts is on a distinguished road
Nexus vs ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcquillan
Nexus all the way. We get more, and more accurate, data than everthing but the most expensive Okam race packages.

Love the fact that the Nexus parts work with the NX2 parts (except the depth transducer).
Yeah, we had Nexus wind/speed/depth on our J/30. The price was right, the wind seemed to work pretty well, but the depth never worked, despite numerous attempts and replacement of the transducer. Sailing along in 100 ft of water and all of a sudden is is showing 4 feet. Happened constantly. And then the speed transduccer gave up the ghost after only 5 years of 3-4 months a year usage - I woudl have expected more.

And you have to look really hard these days to find someone to support Nexus - most dealers around here (Canada) have given up on the stuff.

FWIW, I wouldn't buy it again.

John
Old 02-25-2006

atemplet is on a distinguished road
Navman : Excellent Kit

Have had the Navman Digital Wind, Knot, Compass and Autopilot for 2 1/2 years. EXCELLENT, No Problems.
Old 09-18-2008

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_colpitts View Post
Yeah, we had Nexus wind/speed/depth on our J/30. The price was right, the wind seemed to work pretty well, but the depth never worked, despite numerous attempts and replacement of the transducer. Sailing along in 100 ft of water and all of a sudden is is showing 4 feet. Happened constantly. And then the speed transduccer gave up the ghost after only 5 years of 3-4 months a year usage - I woudl have expected more.

And you have to look really hard these days to find someone to support Nexus - most dealers around here (Canada) have given up on the stuff.

FWIW, I wouldn't buy it again.

John
I realize this is a very old post in a very old thread, but I have been researching Nexus instruments recently. I just bought a boat that apparently has a Nexus classic 1000 package, which includes the log and depth transducers, the server and the multi control display.

I needed support on my log transducer, as it was not working. I phoned the US distributor and they spent a considerable time on the phone with me discussing the situation. Then they emailed me a testing procedure. I called them back from on board with questions, spoke with a service tech and he walked me through the tests.

Turns out they decided that my transducer was bad so I ordered a new one which I hope arrives in the next few days.

Having read about the capability of this stuff and experienced what I consider to have been outstanding support, I am thinking of adding more. I am still trying to decide if I should replace them with another system, but I am leaning toward keeping them since I already have two holes in my hull and don't want to make them bigger or smaller

I would appreciate hearing how others like their Nexus classic instruments. I know I can upgrade the "server" for about $850 (ouch) and that includes a new depth transducer that is compatible with the new server, and that other instruments I have (in my case, just log) will work.

I am thinking of adding a wind transducer and a compass transducer. The new HPC compass is supposed to allow the server to correct wind data for heel and pitch of the boat, which seems very cool. I'm not sure that works with the old server though.

Also, I am not sure if the newer displays work with the older server. I suppose the older displays are still available, but of course they are the older displays, which are less sturdy, but still should present the data well.

I would rather not spend $850 to get mostly what I have, but it would add the FDC stuff to communicate with a PC. I am still researching what capability that gives me.

I would appreciate any comments about Nexus classic or NX2 stuff, especially its NMEA compatibility with GPS receivers and chart plotters. Feeding the NMEA from the server out to a chart plotter would be cool, assuming I can find one that supports all the NMEA sentences the server emits.

Wow, this rambled on a bit, sorry for the long post and thanks...
Old 09-18-2008

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Our boat came with Nexus Sea Star multi function display and speed transducer. Approx 10 yrs old. To add a depth transducer was twice the cost of a typical Airmar transducer used on newer intruments. $275 for the transducer and is old (obsolete) technology. A new ST40 Bi-Data was only $325 so why would I buy a new transducer for an old instrument? Sold it as a speed instrument for $100 and it is still working for the person who bought it.

Navman. I know that a number of people had problems with condensation in the display and had to replace the display units.

Not sure if any of this helps.

Mike
Nut Case
J27 #150