Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2014

Markwesti is on a distinguished road
Genny sleeve

In my case it would be a Yankee sleeve . I was looking in the Sailnet store and came across The ATN Genoa Sleeve . There were a couple of vids on it , I think I'll get one . So question is do any of you own one ? Like it ? Thanks .
barefootnavigator likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road
Re: Genny sleeve

I have one. It's okay, but it does whip some in high winds. It's easy to use. The video pretty much shows it.

If the winds blew harder here, and the sacrificial edge weren't so much an issue in these light winds, I'd probably have just had a sacrificial edge sewn on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Multihullgirl For This Useful Post:
Markwesti (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

I've used genoa sleeves on a set of sailing club Harbor 20s. The use of a sleeve adds about 15 minutes to the getting underway/closing up time and I considered this practice a real pain. These weren't my boats... If you are using one on a sail that is not regularly deployed, fine, but otherwise I think it a bad idea except for the hardcore racer who wants the perfect sail despite the inconvenience.
Markwesti (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Perhaps I'm missing something here but I can hank a sail on in about 5 minutes and bag it in the same. So we go to roller furling to make life easy but the weight of the all purpose sail hinders our boats sailing ability, heavy sheets, heavy cloth, luff tape and foam not to mention expense. Now finally some brilliant people are figuring this all out. Why not just use a hank on sail that is the appropriate size with proper sized sheets and sail cloth for half the cost. Drop it on deck and stuff it in a deck bag. You might be surprised at how fast and wonderful your boat sails with hank-on sails.
I have not used this system but I can tell you I'm way to lazy to use it, the end result would be more UV damage to my sailing because I would be tempted to leave them un covered till the end of my trip. What about offshore when you couldn't or wouldn't want to use this system, your sail would be at the mercy 24 hours a day for weeks on end. I'm very interested in this thread and people re results, great topic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2014

Alan thanks for the post . I'm not really sure I understand it . For many yrs. I had a hank on Yankee and I still have a hank on staysail with a club boom . The Yankee while not a big sail, it is big enough that bagging it was a bit of a chore and also having to do it out on the sprit didn't make it any easier . My Yankee has a cover sewn on that is very light and not expected to last like Sunbrella . I'm going to have it removed , and I don't really want Sunbrella .
Old 02-27-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

One other issue with these sleeves, esp in a typically windy area, is the flapping of the sleeve can chafe on and wear out the exposed side of the stitching of the sail. I've seen some sew elastic into the sleeve every several feet to slow down the flapping, but that also increases the pressure locally on the stitching.

If it's unusual for your marina or mooring to be regularly windy this is not such a concern.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
Markwesti (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

I guess my question is don't you still have to go out on the sprite to raise the sock? Isn't raising the sock more work than generally stuffing a sail into a bag? It seems like more work and yet another added expense to roller furling. What about in a super rolly anchorage like Descanso or at sea? Taking the sumbrella off the sail will reduce quite a bit of weight but you still are flying in general a one size fits all sail which will rarely fit the bill. I'm not pushing pro or con on roller furling just asking if this isn't yet another job to perform before and after every trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to barefootnavigator For This Useful Post:
Markwesti (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

The ATN sock has a drawstring to tighten it close to the sail. And no, it's easier to raise this sock than drop, flake and bag the jib, at least on my boat
The Following User Says Thank You to Multihullgirl For This Useful Post:
Markwesti (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014

All good thoughts thank you . I think I'm starting to lean toward just getting the light weight cloth sewn back on . It lasted 13yrs. The ATN sleeve looks pretty good and is really engineered well . Watch the vids . But yes you are right Alan it would be extra work , down the line I might regret it . Descanso ? Joking right ?
barefootnavigator likes this.
Old 02-27-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

I have a similar sleeve since we have roller furling and more than one sail without built in sun cover it made sense. It will protect the sail better than a sun screen against polluted air.
The compression strings stops the cover from flapping and moving.

We have a small bag we can tie on to the pulpit while hoisting or taking down easier to stow than a long length of canvass.
This video show how easy it is, note that there was some wind..

The Following User Says Thank You to knuterikt For This Useful Post:
Markwesti (02-27-2014)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.