Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2014

rbyham is on a distinguished road
Hood furler question

I am trying to better understand how my furler is rigged. I recently had to increase the length of the furling line in order to fully furl a newly installed larger genoa.

In the process of removing the sail and taking additional line wraps around the furler, I noticed that the aluminum extrusions were separating at a joint about 4' up from the deck. I could slide the extrusions together by hand and they do not appear to be damaged but seeing the separation like that made me wonder if I have a problem. The unit seems to work fine in terms of furling and unfurling the sail but the ability for the extrusions to move vertically left me concerned. Any thoughts?

See pic below. Joint in question about 4' up from deck
Attached Thumbnails
Hood furler question-20130810_080931_resized.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Hood furler question

Do you have a better pic of the problem? What model furler is it??.. looks a bit like a Profurl from a distance.

The extrusions should be clamped at the top and it's quite normal to have a bit of play vertically... but is there much play in the extrusions rotationally?? ie. if you try to twist a lower one by hand. I'd be more concerned about that.

A close-up of the "separating" joint would help a lot in working out whether you have a problem or not.
Old 02-28-2014

I believe it is a seafurlurl. Let me try to get a better pic when I get back to boat on Monday. There is zero rotational flexing. It is all vertical. But the joint in the picture can open to about a 2" gap. Can you elaborate on ends being clamped. The Furler cameI with the boat and beyond stepping the mast and Tightening the rigging I know very little about the technical aspects of the furler.
Old 02-28-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

From my limited knowlege of furlers, the sections are ussually locked together IE screws and a splice between them. This doesn't sound right.
Old 02-28-2014

I did find one other pic on my phone. Not real great either but might help. The joint in the picture is darker colored. In this pic it is separated about 1".since hoisting the new 135 I can slide it about 2" open.
Attached Thumbnails
Hood furler question-rps20140228_075201.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you have play in the sections where the extrusions are connected. This is not normal. There is an insert between extrusion units to join them and make them turn as a unit. There should be some type of set screw, probably with an Allen head, holding them together. I bet the screw is there but loose, preventing vertical seperation completely but not tight enough to keep them in place. Time for ladder or bosuns chair work!

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2014

Sounds like it is time to understand exactly how the extrusions connect and work... The idea of an insert sounds right. I recall seeing something like that when rigged. Did not see a screw as part of that picture but that does mean it wasn't there. Thanks all...
Old 02-28-2014
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

Why not check directly with Hood. It would be good to figure out what model you have. There are a lot of Hood SeaFurl units out there. Perhaps it was one of them? Look them up on the internet, Pompanette is their parent company and contact them for a manual. They will, I'm sure, gladly send you one. Then you will know how the extrusions are connected and be able to get replacements if available.

Tod

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2014

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

If you can find the model number on the drum you can probably find the manual online.

On my Hood furler the sections are joined with delrin allen head screws.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-02-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

The older 'Seafurl' used rivets, but if it's the 'Seafurl II' the sections are held together with a 'button lock' system - basically joiners with a button on either end that fit into holes in the track sections. The joiners are held in places using 'splice pieces' supported by an inner bearing tube around the wire forestay. It is not uncommon for the splice pieces to slide down inside the furler allowing the buttons to separate, but this would usually allow some amount of rotation also, so what you're describing shouldn't be possible.. Maybe something is missing completely?

A close-up photo of the section join in question would be a huge help in nutting this out.

PS: I have a copy of the 'Seafurl' and 'Seafurl II' manuals and could email them you if you want but they are very difficult to understand and I seriously doubt they will help with this problem.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.