Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-23-2006

garyp is on a distinguished road
Ratlines

I would like to tie ratlines into one set of my lower shrouds to get me at least to the spreaders. Has anyone any advice as to the best way to go about it?
Thanks
Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Ratlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyp
I would like to tie ratlines into one set of my lower shrouds to get me at least to the spreaders. Has anyone any advice as to the best way to go about it?
Thanks
Gary
I think lines secured by rolling hitches could do the job. However, you may find a rope rungs to be unsteady and fabricating wooden rungs required for practical use. This solution will take some time and effort, so you'd be better off looking at the fabricated mast steps that are available - there are some neat folding units around. Now its even more expensive... If you are not going long distances, offshore, short-handed, then a good bosun's chair is the cheap way to solve the whole problem.

Good luck.
Old 02-26-2006

Somawas is on a distinguished road
Traditionally ratlines were secured to the shrouds with clove hitches. However, that would have been a manila line knotted around a manila line. Probably not secure using synthetic rope on stainless steel wire rigging. In fact, given the narrow gauge of wire rigging, I doubt that any knot would hold securely around to bear much weight.
Old 02-26-2006

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
one of the locals added ratlines to make his H28 more "colourful"...but they are working ratlines, so this is how he did it; He effectively made a rope lader with rope verticals as well as rungs that fitted into the narrowing space between the shrouds. The vertical ropes were then secured to the shrouds at every rung. He seems to have achieved this construction by running the veretical ropes up the shrouds first (a bit of duct tape at the top to hold things while construction is underway). Then he would tie a "rung" where he wanted it around both vertical rope and shroud, then the vertical rope would be pulled though and tied around the rung...this macramea was continued down to the deck and the whole thing was then secured in place. Looks ind of nice in a dinky sort of way and took the weight of a large guy climbing up (to throw water balloons at other boats, it was that sort of regatta). The vertical rope seemd to be only 6mm, the rungs were a comfortable 10mm(maybe even 12mm) rope that I think used to be his old halyards.

Just a thought.

Sasha
Old 03-01-2006

Thanks for passing on a good idea Shasha. I have experimented with using a rolling hitch, (what we called a tautline hitch in the Boy Scouts) with mediocre results: slight slippage. The steps will only slip so far in the extreme, because they are limited by the widening distance between the shrouds. I think wooden rungs (tied with clove hitches?) might make better use of this effect, but I haven't tried yet. When the weather is nice I'd rather go sailing.
Cheers, Gary
Old 03-01-2006
Cruise-aholic

yachtvalhalla is on a distinguished road
Check out mine at http://yachtvalhalla.net/projects/ratlines/ratlines.htm

Terry
Old 03-02-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
What are you doing up there? If it's just for inspection, a quick route might be to tie a series of bowlines on a bight in a line, for footholds, and hoist it up the mast. There's also a similar peice of equipment made out of webbing if you don't trust your knotting skills. If you're going up there repeatedly to take pictures under sail, for example, the wooden rungs on the shrouds look like a better idea.
Old 03-02-2006
Cruise-aholic

On a cruising boat, especially in the tropics, you will want to go up to the spreaders to navigate among the coral heads or for a better view toward the horizon. Getting to the spreaders with ratlines makes it easy but don't make the mistake of putting them only on one side. You don't know which tack you will be on and climbing on the lee side is difficult. If you have steps on the mast they only need to go from the spreaders up, with ratlines getting you to the spreaders.

Terry

Last edited by yachtvalhalla; 03-02-2006 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Poor grammar
Old 03-03-2006

Terry And Paul: I want to go up the mast for all of the mentioned reasons, photos, spotting coral heads, easy access to masthead and spreader lights, etc etc. Wooden rung ratlines definitely seem the way to go. Thanks Terry for the point about being able to climb on either tack.I had just planned to install on one side.
Also thanks for the link to your website. Lots of good ideas. I am working out the installation of a removeable inner forestay for my boat (Pearson 323) and have been wondering how far above the spreaders I can go without adding running backstays. If I go up 3 ft (15% of the length of the mast above the lowers) my staysail is only about 90 sq ft, which seems small for a 13,000 lb boat. (My main is 195 sq ft, and fore triangle is 285) Your boat is very similar to mine in terms of hull dimensions, displacement and ballast. What size is your staysail?
Also, how strong did you think the lower attachment hardware of the stay needs to be? Johnson MArine Hardware offers a Hyfield type lever in the $90 range with a safe working load of 1600lbs, which they advertise as suitable for inner forestays on boats larger than 30 ft.
I will be running a chainplate thru the deck to a bulkhead glassed into the forepeak and feel confident about that end of the stay. Did your naval architect offer any formula for what percentage of the upper mast above the lowers would be a safe attachment point?
I also like your idea of an attachment point for using the vang as a preventer. I'm sure I will continue to mine your site for other great ideas.
Thanks, Gary
Old 03-05-2006
Cruise-aholic

Stand by

Gary,

Sorry but I'm hauling out today so will need a few days to answer your questions.

Terrry

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.