Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-28-2014

alctel is on a distinguished road
Plastic transducer leaking

I got a (new to me) boat, and was noticing a lot of water in the bilge, so I covered the area with talcum powder.

Good news - I think I found the leak (circled in red)

Bad news - the weird plastic transducer is leaking. It's under the sofa in front of the water tank, and I think the water is running down from that area into the bilge. It's a paddle-wheel type that isn't even connected. I'm annoyed because I was really close to replacing the entire thing with an actual working transducer when I was hauled out but didn't.

You can see in the picture where it is leaking, around the top of the 'ring'.

I am going to haul out again in 6 months and plan to replace the entire thing with a transducer that actually works, so is covering the entire top with marine sealant/WaterWeld, waiting till it dries and covering THAT with marine tex a good idea? I don't care about fixing it in - the transducer I want to replace it with uses a 2" hole (current one is 1.5") so the entire thing will be cut out anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic transducer leaking-bilge.jpg   Plastic transducer leaking-transducer.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alctel; 02-28-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Plastic transducer leaking

If it's a removable paddlewheel transducer have you tried tightening that top ring? It's designed to be removed and replaced with a plug for haulout. Could be it's simply not tightened up, or needs a new seal/gasket.

But you're right.. in hindsight you should've changed it when you could !

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-28-2014

bpgoll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I got a (new to me) boat, and was noticing a lot of water in the bilge, so I covered the area with talcum powder.

Good news - I think I found the leak (circled in red)

Bad news - the weird plastic transducer is leaking. It's under the sofa in front of the water tank, and I think the water is running down from that area into the bilge. It's a paddle-wheel type that isn't even connected. I'm annoyed because I was really close to replacing the entire thing with an actual working transducer when I was hauled out but didn't.

You can see in the picture where it is leaking, around the top of the 'ring'.

I am going to haul out again in 6 months and plan to replace the entire thing with a transducer that actually works, so is covering the entire top with marine sealant/WaterWeld, waiting till it dries and covering THAT with marine tex a good idea? I don't care about fixing it in - the transducer I want to replace it with uses a 2" hole (current one is 1.5") so the entire thing will be cut out anyway.
Well noted sir
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-01-2014

DearPrudence is on a distinguished road

Can't you just use an in hull transducer as opposed to a thru-hull one? That way you can avoid drilling holes altogether.

Jeff
Old 03-01-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DearPrudence View Post
Can't you just use an in hull transducer as opposed to a thru-hull one? That way you can avoid drilling holes altogether.

Jeff
I think he's talking about a paddlewheel speed transducer, not depth....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-01-2014
Ticon 30

dbruce85 is on a distinguished road

I had the same situation on a previous boat, It was a very slow leak around the ring. I tried different Marine Sealants around it, but it kept leaking.
I used some black roofing compound that I had at home, the kind you can use when the area is wet. It wasn't pretty but was in a hidden location. I know that would make most old salts cringe, but did stop the water. ( In retrospect, there was a wooden block on the inside of the hull, sometimes when the wood gets wet and swells a bit the leak stops, not that that is a good situation but it gets you thru until you can fix it properly). I installed a new transducer during my next haul out, the black compound came off easy with some varsol.
Old 03-01-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DearPrudence View Post

Jeff
It's a bit late now, don't you think? He already has a 11/2 inch hole in his boat. And it's leaking, so it needs to be attended to. Replacing it with another transducer is a lot easier and cheaper than trying to fill a 11/2 inch hole in a boat.
Old 03-01-2014

alctel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbruce85 View Post
I had the same situation on a previous boat, It was a very slow leak around the ring. I tried different Marine Sealants around it, but it kept leaking.
I used some black roofing compound that I had at home, the kind you can use when the area is wet. It wasn't pretty but was in a hidden location. I know that would make most old salts cringe, but did stop the water. ( In retrospect, there was a wooden block on the inside of the hull, sometimes when the wood gets wet and swells a bit the leak stops, not that that is a good situation but it gets you thru until you can fix it properly). I installed a new transducer during my next haul out, the black compound came off easy with some varsol.
Can you remember the product name? I've used water weld but it doesn't seem to hold

Old 03-02-2014
Ticon 30

dbruce85 is on a distinguished road

No I can't remember the brand, but it was a liter can of black roofing compound. The type that claim they will work in wet conditions. The water was not rushing in, only a trickle. However it did seal it for the season.
Old 03-02-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

I've seen these leaks before. They are hard to stop. Encapsulating it ussually doesn't work because the pressure builds up and blows it back open. The sooner you can haul out the better.
Gooping it may slow it down.

Don't know about roofing tar. I've had good luck with a product called "Through the Roof"
Through the Roof!® - Sashco - Roofing Caulk

Once it dries its a absolute PITA to get off. So beware.