Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Chart plotter or IPad

I agree with you in general that chartplotter charts can be very expensive. However that appears to be changing as a result of competition from tablets. Raymarine just changed to a new chart system that makes all NOAA charts for the US completely free in both vector and raster format. They made this change work on existing plotters too, not only new ones. They also still support Navionics charts.

Hopefully this spreads to include other regions and we can get free or cheap charts everywhere.

The available free charts are here:
Select Raster or Vector Charts
Old 03-02-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Ah, I sail in Puget Sound and need to have electronics that can handle getting doused by salt water. In high winds it isn't uncommon to have salt spray coming across the cockpit, and the touchscreen on my plotter often gets salt marks on it. This is a photo that a friend took when sailing here a couple of weeks ago in ~30 knot winds (when wind waves will be 3-4 feet):

That isn't our normal sailing, but it's what I expect my cockpit instruments to handle.

USB cables and power adapters are also not built for this type of exposure, and it doesn't look like your e-reader pouch can pass battery power through while staying waterproof.

Thanks for the link to laptopmag's blog post, I hadn't found it. It doesn't state why they switched from measuring nits to lux though.

Love my dodger but it can only do so much. When it gets like this the iToys stay in the cabin.. The screen visibility of all our iPads (iPad 2, iPad 4 and iPad Air) all SUCK in the daylight compared to our Garmin plotter.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I think that it's abundantly clear that if you do heavy duty sailing, you need to spend heavy duty bucks to buy heavy duty gear. If you do mostly light duty sailing in protected waters, you can consider less expensive options, but should make sure to have weatherproof backups for when things get messy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-02-2014

WoobaGooba is on a distinguished road

Preferred setup for me is a fixed on-board plotter (mid range) and a mobile tablet for waypoint/route planning. The plotter is further communicating (NMEA 2K) with the various sensors and on-deck tactical display.

My lithmus test for the planning app is the ability enter a set of race courses (aka routes) as a different combination of the same set of waypoints. I need to be able to do this BOTH GRAPHICALLY FROM THE CHART AND BY USING A PICK LIST OF WAYPOINTS ... then import/export GPX file to/from the plotter. All this is done prior to race day.

The GPX data is loaded on race day or shortly before. Sh.t happens fast during a start sequence, and I prefer the crew not have their heads buried in the electronics. We activate the pre-entered route and then concentrate on sailing fast.

I'm IPad based. Blue Chart Mobile was highly frustrating (I'm being kind), and Garmin did not act on the feedback I provided. I'm currently using iSailGPS. Waypoint and route management is good, but GPX import/export needs some work.

I am curious to try some of the ideas you all have offered.

@TakeFive. OpenCPN running on a Lenovo Mix2, correct? Looks like it has an SD card slot. Good.
@Alex W. Navionics running on a nexus 7 V1 (not a V2). Seems no SD card there?

So much to try, so little time and $$$

The Android and iThingy space has indeed influenced the marine electronics space. But as a former product designer, IMO these devices will be supplements, not primaries. Consumer grade gear simply will not meet the requirements for rain, spray, washdown, sunlight view-ability, heat, or even below decks humidity.

Cheers
Old 03-02-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoobaGooba View Post
...I am curious to try some of the ideas you all have offered.

@TakeFive. OpenCPN running on a Lenovo Mix2, correct? Looks like it has an SD card slot. Good.
@Alex W. Navionics running on a nexus 7 V1 (not a V2). Seems no SD card there?

So much to try, so little time and $$$
Yes, the Miix has a microSD slot. I have also attached additional readers to the microUSB connector.

If you want to try out OpenCPN, no need to buy a tablet. If you have a Windows PC (PC, Linux, or Mac), just download (program and charts), install, and try it out with a mouse.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 03-02-2014

WoobaGooba is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
If you want to try out OpenCPN, no need to buy a tablet. If you have a Windows PC (PC, Linux, or Mac), just download (program and charts), install, and try it out with a mouse.
Yes, thanks. Just loaded and am trying OpenCPN on a Win7 desktop. I'll give it a go with my use cases.

It seems very mouse/keyboard based ... what's the operator experience like on a Win tablet? Still mouse/keyboard centric, or will an IoS touch/swiper like myself feel at home.
Old 03-02-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
@TakeFive. OpenCPN running on a Lenovo Mix2, correct?
I forgot to mention previously that I'm using a Miix 2 8" tablet. It used to be "good enough" to just call it the Miix2, but they have recently come out with 10" and 11" versions of the Miix2. I have not seen full reviews for those yet, and also haven't seen anything in stores, so no idea how their screen brightness is. Also not sure if the new versions have built-in GPS.

Quote:
Yes, thanks. Just loaded and am trying OpenCPN on a Win7 desktop. I'll give it a go with my use cases.

It seems very mouse/keyboard based ... what's the operator experience like on a Win tablet? Still mouse/keyboard centric, or will an IoS touch/swiper like myself feel at home.
The program was developed for PCs without any forethought to tablets. Their chosen development environment allows for easy porting between Windows, Linux, and Mac OS (thought the latter is a little less than 100% compatible).

Then Windows 8 came out, with a flood of new tablets that run it, and the potential for running existing Windows desktop programs like OpenCPN. The developers recognize a huge potential user base there, and are working on tweaks to the UI to be more tablet friendly. However, from my playing with my new tablet this winter, I can tell you that the program works very well on a tablet as-is. It supports pinch-to-zoom just fine. Some of the on-screen buttons are a little small, but I don't have real fat fingers. The program supports custom buttons, and somebody has posted larger button images, but I haven't bothered to install them yet. There are a few other thigns that need tweaking, but everything can be worked around right now.

I occasionally use a stylus, and for typing-intensive configuration I have a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard. But since initially configuring it, I haven't had to use the mouse/keyboard since.

The guys behind OpenCPN are very impressive, and they are generally responsive to suggestions that stay within the mission of the program.

Old 03-02-2014
Taking it day by day

DJR351 is on a distinguished road

This is one of our backups to the main unit which is a Lowrance HDS 10m Gen2 chartplotter.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi 3G running iSailor, iNavX and Plan2Nav, compared to the other two Plan2Nav is rubbish so is never used....

AIS is fed from an ICOM MA-500TR via Brookhouse iMux and works really well...

Waterproof case is military grade and meets or exceeds IP65 and MIL810F. First thing I did when we got the case was stick my better half's old iPad in, turn it on, then sank it in a sink full of water for the night, not a drop got in, and when the iPad was recharged (went flat during the night) it worked perfectly.....

We also have the GoFree WiFi - 1 Module for the Lowrance HDS which allows us to view/control the HDS from the iPad.....

While I think the iPad set up is great for a backup, it does not come close to the purpose built HDS for all round performance, in fact I have yet to see a tablet of any kind that does.....and I have a few lying around.....

There is a tide in the affairs of men which taken advantage of at the flood, leads over the reef, on to adventure. Those men who fore go this high water of their life are forever left to ponder, a life bound wallowing in the shallows.......Julius Caesar

Last edited by DJR351; 03-02-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2014

Ilenart is on a distinguished road

I'm the same as Alex_W. all of my sailing is in the ocean and I often have spray plus the occasional wave into the cockpit. All the gear in the cockpit has to be 100% waterproof. I run a Garman GPSMAP chartplotter at the helm. In rough weather the ipad is in its bag on the chart table tied down with some shock cord.

Ilenart
Old 03-02-2014
Taking it day by day

DJR351 is on a distinguished road

No different over here, frequent trips into the South Pacific requires the same as far as waterproofing goes. Normally my HDS lives on the helm but I would have no problems leaving the iPad there as it to is 100% waterproof...

There is a tide in the affairs of men which taken advantage of at the flood, leads over the reef, on to adventure. Those men who fore go this high water of their life are forever left to ponder, a life bound wallowing in the shallows.......Julius Caesar

Tags
chartplotter , ipad , navigation , networking

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.