Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014

JoeLena is on a distinguished road
Re: Chart plotter or IPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR351 View Post

Waterproof case is military grade and meets or exceeds IP65 and MIL810F. First thing I did when we got the case was stick my better half's old iPad in, turn it on, then sank it in a sink full of water for the night, not a drop got in, and when the iPad was recharged (went flat during the night) it worked perfectly.....
Don't be a tease! Specifics on the case and mount. There is so much rubbish out there it is hard to sift through. That setup looks quite nice!
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLena View Post
Don't be a tease! Specifics on the case and mount. There is so much rubbish out there it is hard to sift through. That setup looks quite nice!
The mounting components are RAM mount. GPScity.com has good prices and fast shipping in the US. I don't recognize the waterproof case, but it appears to be designed specifically to accept the RAM mount ball's hole pattern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-02-2014

Ilenart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR351 View Post
No different over here, frequent trips into the South Pacific requires the same as far as waterproofing goes. Normally my HDS lives on the helm but I would have no problems leaving the iPad there as it to is 100% waterproof...
Yes, but after 8 hours how do you charge an ipad at the helm whilst maintaining 100% waterproof? For daytrips and in sheltered waters the ipad works fine. However longer than 8 hours in heavy weather you need something that can be recharged whilst maintaining 100% waterproof. I'm yet to see an ipad bag that didn't require you to break the seal so that a charging cord can be attached.

Plus with the issues of being able to read the ipad in strong sunlight, I do not think it can replace a dedicated chartplotter. A backup fine, but not for primary navigation.

Ilenart

Last edited by Ilenart; 03-02-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2014
Taking it day by day

DJR351 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilenart View Post
Yes, but after 8 hours how do you charge an ipad at the helm whilst maintaining 100% waterproof? For daytrips and in sheltered waters the ipad works fine. However longer than 8 hours in heavy weather you need something that can be recharged whilst maintaining 100% waterproof. I'm yet to see an ipad bag that didn't require you to break the seal so that a charging cord can be attached.

Plus with the issues of being able to read the ipad in strong sunlight, I do not think it can replace a dedicated chartplotter. A backup fine, but not for primary navigation.

Ilenart
Well sport I guess this will be a revelation for you then won't it, 100% waterproof integrity maintained and can be run indefinitely.....

.....and it works just fine in strong sunshine due to the film in the case, not as good as my HDS, but more than adequate to do the job....
northoceanbeach likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There is a tide in the affairs of men which taken advantage of at the flood, leads over the reef, on to adventure. Those men who fore go this high water of their life are forever left to ponder, a life bound wallowing in the shallows.......Julius Caesar

Last edited by DJR351; 03-03-2014 at 02:41 AM.
Old 03-03-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Ipad in otter box is waterproof and drop proof. The right one. Or lifeproof case.

Here is a system to link your instruments to you ipad

Chetco SeaSmart N2K WiFi Gateway | Blue Heron Marine Electronics

I think the ipad gets my vote. The chips for chartplotters are very expensive but the apps for ipad include all maps for lower cost.

I asked the lady at navionics why it was $50 for the ipad but $200 for a gold chip. She laughed and said because that's what people will pay.

Although I have come around to like garmin, unless you get a garmin like an oregon c model, with built in charts, you have to use all garmin or pay for chips for different devices.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 03-03-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: ESL
Old 03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
...Here is a system to link your instruments to you ipad

Chetco SeaSmart N2K WiFi Gateway | Blue Heron Marine Electronics
Whoa, $680. I'm still looking for that elusive "low-cost WiFi multiplexer" that some people keep mentioning.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 03-03-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Whoa, $680. I'm still looking for that elusive "low-cost WiFi multiplexer" that some people keep mentioning.
Oh come on, this is making a fun game of "how many boat plotters can I buy for the price of one iPad plotter"?

$680 for the NMEA 2000 multiplexer
$500 for the iPad
$80 for the Dual Bluetooth XGPS
$300 for the Moxiware Tank Case (that is the one shown in this thread)
$50 for Navionics or iNavX
=$1610 total

For that price you can get a 7" Raymarine A75 for the helm, and a 6" A65 as a remote display under the dodger:
A65: $620 at West Marine or Amazon
A75: $980 at Amazon
US charts: free
=$1600 total

For $40 more you can get the A67 and have sonar/fish finder. Is adding full sonar (not just a depth number) even possible with iNavX and the iPad?

Of course that is overkill on most of our boats, the a single plotter for half the money is fine. Likewise the Moxiware Tank Case is probably overkill, there are plenty of <$100 waterproof cases for the iPad with port access.

The system that I'd actually buy is:
A67: $660
charts: free
Raymarine i40 Wind Instrument: $425
Depth Transducer: $100

That gets you all of the basics (except for through-water speed, easy to add) at a reasonable price. I'd much rather have wind instruments then trying to make an iPad marine safe and work in the sun.

No one has mentioned the problems with iPads overheating that are out in the sun. If it happens here in Seattle it has to be even more common in other climates.
TakeFive likes this.
Old 03-08-2014

hereandnow is on a distinguished road

I'm curious to know more about the Brookhouse iMux that one poster suggested. I have had a look at the unit with the multiparty NMEA and Seatalk integration and wireless capability for Up to 6 or so IPads and laptops.

For those using Brookhouse can you advise the pros and the limitations you see and if there is a similar unit on the market you considered purchasing.

I am considering buying Brookhouse integrating my classic C90, AIS, VHF, IPad, laptop and would like to hear your experiences to date.
Old 03-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereandnow View Post
I'm curious to know more about the Brookhouse iMux that one poster suggested. I have had a look at the unit with the multiparty NMEA and Seatalk integration and wireless capability for Up to 6 or so IPads and laptops.

For those using Brookhouse can you advise the pros and the limitations you see and if there is a similar unit on the market you considered purchasing.

I am considering buying Brookhouse integrating my classic C90, AIS, VHF, IPad, laptop and would like to hear your experiences to date.
Have you found a dealer? Their website lists not dealers, implies that they sell direct only. But they have failed to respond to several emails. Are they even in business any more?

Old 03-08-2014

hereandnow is on a distinguished road

They only sell direct from what I see-believe from NZ. After a couple of tries I received a reply to my inquiry a couple of weeks back -still in business. Looks like a good unit for what I need -about $360USD.

Just need to get user experiences before buying.

Tags
chartplotter , ipad , navigation , networking