Chart plotter or IPad - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 89 Old 08-19-2014

Re: Chart plotter or IPad

I love my iPad 2 and the Navionics app. I just need to remember that the app and it's routes are in degrees True, as the app does not account for mag Variation. So, you need to apply variation the any courses created on the app if you plan to follow your regular compass while on that route. If you follow the route on the iPad, your are ok, but on old timer like me follows the compass.
MedSailor, seaner97 and CVAT like this.

Randy
Island Packet 440
2007 Hull #35
Lakewood Yacht Club
Seabrook, TX
cell: 713-825-9460
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to rhpike For This Useful Post:
MedSailor (03-28-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 89 Old 08-19-2014

On the other hand, my Raymarine E-80 chart plotter has a Navionics Gold chip, and it accounts for variation. That is handled through the Raymarine setup menu.

Randy
Island Packet 440
2007 Hull #35
Lakewood Yacht Club
Seabrook, TX
cell: 713-825-9460
post #73 of 89 Old 08-28-2015

Since this thread is a year and a half old (eons in electronics) can anyone offer an update on current tablet technology? I may run with some of these suggestions for use with NMEA, but maybe a more current review would help. Sunlight visibility is probably my top priority.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
post #74 of 89 Old 08-28-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

I asked a similar question (all in one thread) and have since bit the bullet and talked directly to multiple salespeople (yuk). ALL the major brands do this now. They all claim to be as good as one another, but the anecdotal evidence favors Garmin as people seem to find the app/interface easier and the refresh rate better, but several of the people selling multiple systems all pointed me to different ones, so either they are each getting their own kickbacks, or they are all really comparable. I'm still going back and forth between Garmin, B&G/Simrad and raymarine. I think I've decided to stick my hands in my pockets and wait a couple seasons. I'm old fashioned and like paper anyway.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #75 of 89 Old 12-08-2015
Boatless

Thanks to all that contributed to this extremely informative thread. As someone that still has a foot in the 20th Century using a pencil, paper, and ruler. Last time I used my cell phone 3/2/05, no tablet you have no idea how enlightening this was. I'm not totally in the dark ages having a desktop, 2 laptops and 3 antic GPS.

Thank you for giving this curmudgeon ideas on how to move up to the 21st Century.

Norm

NJ Before Dirt
post #76 of 89 Old 12-08-2015
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

How do you get your radar information on the I-pod screen, and how do you connect your autopilot to the I-pod? Two more questions, how does it do in direct sunlight, and how does it function when you are 50 miles offshore? I just took my Kindle Fire HD outside and in direct sunlight you cannot see anything on the display.

Gary
post #77 of 89 Old 12-08-2015

You can try this at home. Get your fingers nice and wet under a tap, then try and work the Ipad touch screen. Doesn't work, does it?

Until the answer to this question is "yes", Idevices are unsuitable for a primary navigation device.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #78 of 89 Old 12-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
You can try this at home. Get your fingers nice and wet under a tap, then try and work the Ipad touch screen. Doesn't work, does it?

Until the answer to this question is "yes", Idevices are unsuitable for a primary navigation device.
As are touchscreen plotters located in the cockpit...

I recently sailed a V-42 in the Caribbean 1500, equipped with the LATEST & GREATEST Garmin touchscreen plotter/radar mounted on a massive Nav-Pod tower at the helm... (I know, don't get me started, a V-42 cockpit is small enough as it is... ;-))

Trying to use the stupid thing in any sort of weather was an incredible PITA. Attempting to open an AIS target, for instance, to acquire the information, often required a dozen or more separate "taps" on the screen, before one MIGHT finally work... Even with fingers that were completely dry, it seemed once the screen was 'contaminated' with any degree of moisture or salt air, it could become unworkable. And, on more than one occasion, while I had no luck clicking on an icon with my finger, a new one would be created by the inadvertent touch of the cuff of my foul weather jacket on the screen...

Final straw came during the last 2 nights of the trip, when dealing with some very heavy squalls. Despite being situated beneath a low cockpit bimini (don't get me started on THAT piece of crap ;-)) the heavy RAINDROPS being driven by the wind onto the plotter screen WERE LIGHTING UP THE SCREEN WITH NEW ICONS, WAITING TO BE SAVED AS WAYPOINTS !

UFB... But, I'm sure they work great at the display booth inside the tent at the boat shows...

;-)
post #79 of 89 Old 12-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
As are touchscreen plotters located in the cockpit...

I recently sailed a V-42 in the Caribbean 1500, equipped with the LATEST & GREATEST Garmin touchscreen plotter/radar mounted on a massive Nav-Pod tower at the helm... (I know, don't get me started, a V-42 cockpit is small enough as it is... ;-))

Trying to use the stupid thing in any sort of weather was an incredible PITA. Attempting to open an AIS target, for instance, to acquire the information, often required a dozen or more separate "taps" on the screen, before one MIGHT finally work... Even with fingers that were completely dry, it seemed once the screen was 'contaminated' with any degree of moisture or salt air, it could become unworkable. And, on more than one occasion, while I had no luck clicking on an icon with my finger, a new one would be created by the inadvertent touch of the cuff of my foul weather jacket on the screen...

Final straw came during the last 2 nights of the trip, when dealing with some very heavy squalls. Despite being situated beneath a low cockpit bimini (don't get me started on THAT piece of crap ;-)) the heavy RAINDROPS being driven by the wind onto the plotter screen WERE LIGHTING UP THE SCREEN WITH NEW ICONS, WAITING TO BE SAVED AS WAYPOINTS !

UFB... But, I'm sure they work great at the display booth inside the tent at the boat shows...

;-)
With your "raindropped waypoints," it's little wonder I've recently started to see new plotters which offer both touchscreen and push-button functionality. Hope there's still a push-button option by the time I may need to replace mine.

Just did Mark's suggested tap water test on my iPad2 and, to my surprise, it still worked! But mine is probably several generations old at this point, so YMMV. Besides, tap water is one thing, salt-encrusted could be quite another. I have several nav apps installed which all work well, but my latest fav is Polar Navy. The resolution in bright sunlight is not good, but I mainly use it under the dodger or down below (as a secondary plotter), so not a problem. I hear the newer ones are better resolution-wise, but still probably not as good as a primary plotter. Btw, mine will shut itself down if its warm and exposed to direct sunlight, so if you're someone like me who prefers sailing w/o a bimini then take note. It recovers pretty fast once in the shade, but there's little warning. And yes, the nav apps will work offshore/outside of cell range, provided the tablet has a built-in GPS receiver. At the time I purchased my iPad2, this meant buying one with both wifi and cellular capability, but that may have been an Apple thing.

There's also wireless integration available now, for example to allow you to transfer waypts., routes, tracks, AIS from your primary plotter to your tablet or phone, and vice-versa. Some of the Vesper and other AIS transceivers offer this capability via wifi. Not really convinced the transfer capability is really worth it, but it is now more easily available. Not sure about getting radar & AP to function on a device yet, but I'm sure it's coming.
post #80 of 89 Old 12-08-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

The ithingys are all heat driven, which is why the iPad or iPhone can be used underwater with a proper case. No idea how the Garmins or others are done.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.

Tags
chartplotter , ipad , navigation , networking

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.