Learning the HARD way...
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston Area
Thanked 64 Times in 63 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Re: Do I need to worry about my engine or batteries?
To winterize the outboard;
- connect a fresh water supply to the engine. Some engines have a hose connector, with some you use "ear muffs," and some you run in a trash barrel filled with water.
- start the engine, and let it warm up
- disconnect the fuel supply
- when the engine starts to sputter from lack of fuel, spray fogging oil into the carburetor and let it die.
- turn off the water if you used a hose to flush the engine
- change the engine oil (assuming that you have a 4-stroke)
- remove the sparkplug, and give a shot of fogging oil in each cylinder.
- replace the sparkplug, but do not reconnect the sparkplug wire (do that in the spring)
- crank the engine over 1 or 2 revolutions to spread the oil
- change the lower unit oil
- cover the engine, and put it away
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems