Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-02-2006

KAYAKDAN is on a distinguished road
Anchor Set Up

I need to set up an anchor for my new Mac 26M. I'm not sure exactly how the hardware is supposed to be set up.
What is the best setup from rode to anchor? I am using a Fortress FX-11,200ft rode(1/2") 10ft SS 5/16 chain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2006

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
If the rode does not have a thimble spliced in, you will need to do that or have it done. Use 2 galvanized shackles - the largest size that will fit through your chain. Shackle chain to the anchor stock and then the chain to the thimbled end of the rode. Tighten them as much as possible with a very large vise grip and then run three wraps of monel wire around the shackle and through the hole in it's pin so it cannot back out on its own. Some people use a wire tie, but I think the monel is better. Either way, this is important.

Alternatively, you can directly splice the rode to the chain, but you then will have to check it often for chafe. This is useful if the rode/chain needs to pass through an opening that is too small for the shackle. Otherwise, I would go with the shackle as it is easier and probably more secure over time.

if my memory serves me, you can find splicing instruction for this at New England Rope's site.
Old 03-03-2006

Irwin32,thanks for the info. The rode has a thimble,so it looks pretty straightforward. I think I will splurge and buy SS shackles also.
Old 03-03-2006
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Kayakdan,

You may want to reconsider splurging on the s/s. Unless the chain is also s/s you introduce dissimilar metals and set-up for galvanic action in salt water. I think Practical Sailor Mag. had a brief review on s/s shackles a while back. If I can find the mag, I'll post the gist of it here.

Irwin32 had the right advice with the galvanized shackle recommendation.

Wayne

Last edited by wwilson; 03-04-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-03-2006

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
I agree with wwilson's addition.
Old 03-04-2006

Somawas is on a distinguished road
SS Shackles would be correct

as he said the has SS chain. 10' of it, however, is not much.
Old 03-06-2006

I am going with stainless chain,so I got stainless shackles. Is there any problem with combining 3-4ft lenths of 316 SS chain together?
Old 03-06-2006
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
s/s - galvanized

KAYAKDAN,

No problem at all. My mistake, as Somawas correctly pointed out, you are attaching s/s to s/s which will work fine. I jumped to the conclusion that it might be s/s to galvanized steel since that is the more common chain type.

If you are connecting chain segments, be sure that the safe working load of the connection is equal to, or greater than the SWL of the chain.

Wayne

Last edited by wwilson; 03-06-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Would not recommend stainless for underwater use as it WILL corrode badly and quickly an an anaerobic environment. Fine if you are just dropping the hook once in a while but no real value to it. I would never use it on a cruising boat but a weekender can get away with it. WHERE will you be anchoring and what depth and bottom types? Chain/Rope rode is fine but I would certainly like to see more chain for most uses DESPITE what Fortress says in their recommendations. Are you going to carry some sort of plow type anchor as well for other bottom types?
Old 03-07-2006

gc is on a distinguished road
1). Stainless in this application is fine. Where it gets into trouble in underwater use is when there is an area of trapped water next to it. As long as the water is open and moving around the stainless, there is no problem. Stainless anchor chain is in frequent use, but it is expensive.
2) I have never heard of galvanic corrosion between stainless and common steel. They are both iron with very small amounts of impurities. The galvanic potential between them is extremely small, if there is any at all.
3) I have used a Fortress with no chain as a secondary anchor for many years, and it works well. I would not do that for a primary anchor though.
4) The Fortress is aluminum. I would worry about galvanic corrosion where it is shackled to the chain. But that is easily inspected as long as you remember to look at it every now and then.