Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Generator Question

Okay, time to pull this old story out, I've told it on this board before.

We are anchored in the most remote cove we've ever been to when cruising Maine a few years back. We are truly alone. Seals, birds and us.

Right at dusk, another boat pulls in and drops anchor a few hundred feet away. Over night, temps drop into the 40s and we wake up cold! Foggy, so it's damp too. We don't want to fire up the generator, as its early and we don't want to bother our neighbor. An hour goes by, maybe another. Hot coffee and breakfast just aren't dong it and we need some heat.

As I look over for the hundredth time to see if they are up over there, I again see no movement. However, I notice some ripples near their stern. I grab the binnoculars and sure enough, their generator has already been running!!! We could not hear it. Clearly freezing our butts off for nothing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2014
Banned

nccouple is on a distinguished road

Ok since I started this mess, I just need to give my 2 cents worth. I'm in North Carolina, it's not uncommon to have 100 deg days here. I've noticed that most of the people who are upset at this idea live far north of me. I've seen no complaints from people in the deep south.
I'm just using common sence and logic here. I already own the ac unit. My vacations are already on the calendar. If my vacation week comes and it's 100 degs that week, I'm still going. I'm not going to sit around the house. I'm going sailing. Secondly, I've always anchored in seculeded anchorages, just take a peak at my website and you'll see that's not a lie. If I'm in a remote anchorage by myself and I'm running a generator an hour or two a day. It's not hurting nobody in Canada or New England. If were up there. I wouldn't want to hear one running either.
I have no intentions of dropping hook in a crowed anchorage or right next to someone then firing a generator up and acting like an ass.
It's pure common sence. I'm not to have a heat stroke to make someone on the internet happy.
I'm generator shopping now. 2000w will run my unit. Just a matter of witch one to get.
Is it rude to have a wood stove. I don't want your ashes landing on my boat. Food for thought.
guitarguy56 likes this.
Old 03-12-2014

remetau is on a distinguished road

I have a Honda 2k and have been quite happy with it. I use it to charge my batteries during the day if at anchor for extended periods. I also use it to run the AC if the temperature is unbearable and there is no wind. I'm not doing it to be an ass. I am doing it to make my wife and I happy and our life enjoyable.

I don't run it night after night. There are many more things in life for you to get upset about. Get over it.
guitarguy56 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccouple View Post
Ok since I started this mess, I just need to give my 2 cents worth. I'm in North Carolina, it's not uncommon to have 100 deg days here. I've noticed that most of the people who are upset at this idea live far north of me. I've seen no complaints from people in the deep south.
I'm just using common sence and logic here. I already own the ac unit. My vacations are already on the calendar. If my vacation week comes and it's 100 degs that week, I'm still going. I'm not going to sit around the house. I'm going sailing. Secondly, I've always anchored in seculeded anchorages, just take a peak at my website and you'll see that's not a lie. If I'm in a remote anchorage by myself and I'm running a generator an hour or two a day. It's not hurting nobody in Canada or New England. If were up there. I wouldn't want to hear one running either.
I have no intentions of dropping hook in a crowed anchorage or right next to someone then firing a generator up and acting like an ass.
It's pure common sence. I'm not to have a heat stroke to make someone on the internet happy.
I'm generator shopping now. 2000w will run my unit. Just a matter of witch one to get.
Is it rude to have a wood stove. I don't want your ashes landing on my boat. Food for thought.
Many of the northerners don't understand the heat and humidity living in the south brings... after several days of sweltering heat they'd be screaming for an AC unit and the biggest generator to run it? No one wants to be an absolute nitwit, we do what we must to meet those challenges. As you mentioned we're not going to some crowded anchorages to run our generators to spite others, but we sure have to listen to the cussing and screaming going on in someones boat many times louder than any decibels coming out of these silent generators. Hell the music I played on my speakers in the cabin was louder than the silent humming of the Honda... so PLEASE everyone... go buy one and run it before complaining about how noisy they are.

Let us know which generator you wind up with.
nccouple likes this.
Old 03-12-2014
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccouple View Post

If you're not bothering anybody with your generator, go nuts. Get a good quality one: better fuel efficiency, quieter (even if you're the only one hearing it), and better longevity. It will also keep good resale value should you not need it anymore.

I have shot my mouth off in this thread. I did not mean to imply one shouldn't have a generator, nor that one shouldn't have AC. I do think that inconsiderate people that run noisy generators that bother their neighbours need a talking to. And for my own sake, I don't like the idea of AC on a boat. We got good hot days up here, but not so many, so maybe we can just suck it up.
jimrafford likes this.

Last edited by Ritchard; 03-12-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Next, let's complain about wind generators. Most of them seem to make more noise in a good breeze than generators do.

What kind of talking to, (or worse) should we give them?
guitarguy56 likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 03-13-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

we sometimes shut down the wind generator mid ocean cause we had way too much power with all the panels, and other sources...and it really did make the wind less fun to hear....plus it would swing around so it made sounds in different directions...

so yeah I even learned to hate that green energy producing thing

whats next?

solar panels? oooooooooooooooooooooooh the glare, the silence....please stop it now!
guitarguy56 likes this.

Old 03-13-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
we sometimes shut down the wind generator mid ocean cause we had way too much power with all the panels, and other sources...and it really did make the wind less fun to hear....plus it would swing around so it made sounds in different directions...

so yeah I even learned to hate that green energy producing thing

whats next?

solar panels? oooooooooooooooooooooooh the glare, the silence....please stop it now!
My neighbors on both sides of me at my marina have them and when we have a good breeze come through, they are whirring so loud and spinning so fast, they sound and look like they are going to explode (it actually scares me to walk by them, they both tie up stern to and the things are pretty close to the dock).

But, I do have to admit, they keep the birds away from our boats.
christian.hess likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 03-13-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

like everything there is always a pro and con....honestly solar and wind is about as sailboatish you should can do...

I think anything else is overboard...

if you have an inboard I love dual alternator setups as well as high amp ones, that way a solid hour or so of running does plenty to keep things topped up...

but regarding small portable genarators they are the bees knees in my book...you can tale them anywhere and for working on the boat on the water like Im doing they are priceless

I got my 900watter fro less than $200 even down here....and after months of use its fine...just needed to retighten some screws on the panel from vibration but thats it...

we have used rotary grinders, palms sanders, big drills, have charged my batteries with the 8amp outlet, etc...

Last edited by christian.hess; 03-13-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-13-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Also you guys should stop cooking stuff on the BBQ, the smells bug me! Put your dinghies on the foredeck at night, the water bouncing them makes noise. And you people with boats that have sugar scoop sterns that slap at night with waves, we should just shot you. And turn those damn lights off it messes up my looking at the stars. And put those cigarettes out as the second hand smoke killed me 3 times last night. And don't even get going about music!

It is no wonder some need to go find an anchorage all to themselves, they can not stand other people!
Group9 likes this.