SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Danforth Constellation Compass

13K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  StormBay 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a service center that would service this compass. When I purchased the boat it had a large bubble. Web site (Rule) indicates non in USA...Was wondering if there is a generic place anyone is aware of.

#3 ·
Rule Industries currently has a location in Gloucester, MA. Telephone # is 978-281-0440. I returned a Danforth Constellation to Rule about five years. I don't remember the details. I don't even remember if this is the location to which I sent it, but they were quick, the price seemed fair, and the compass is still working fine.

#5 ·
Re: Previous request for danforth compass service

To Silmaril,
Thanks for your suggestion of Conn Compass Service. They are a first rate company with quick response and service. I finally got in touch with Rule who has bought out Danforth and was told I needed to buy a new one as they probably did not have parts. Very Curt attitude. The guy at
Conn Compass is repairing, rewiring, replacing glass and other things. Quote was under $200. The compass is about a $1000 compass.

#7 ·
Danforth constellation Compass

Hello. I just joined this site. I have purchased a 27 foot Columbia sailboat. It has a Danforth constellation binnacle compass on it. Problem is the shroud has several dents in it and I need to take it apart to repair. I can't seem to get the two halfs apart. I have pulled them to where they have separated about a 1/4 inch and that's about as far as it will go. Is there some trick to removing the hood slider. Thanks

#8 ·
Just curious, how did the shroud put dents in a binnacle compass, which is likely mounted in the cockpit??? Also, you might be better off posting this as a separate thread, since it doesn't have much to do with the OP other than type of compass.

I would also recommend you read the POST in my signature to help you get the most out of sailnet. Welcome to the asylum.

#11 ·
Ahh... my bad.. mis-read that... :) Weephee... it would help if you could attach photos of the compass in question... You might want to read CD's post on posting photos. Unfortunately, his method, which is the better, preferred method, requires that you have at least 10 posts...so go over to the Song Thread and post there a few times to get your count up to 10.

#14 ·
Compass Repair

Before you send it anywhere, Turn It Upside Down, and quickley return upright and see what happens to the bubble.

These compass models are filled with Purified Mineral Spirits while the the compass is upside down. This fills the space under the card with fluid. When turned upside down the bubble will be trapped under the compass card, replacing the fluid there now.
If any of the nylon screws get messed up, you can find replacements at Automotive Stores nuts and bolts section and look for nylon.

If turning upside down doesn't work it means you will have to remove one of the nylon screws(Gently)and fill with the mineral spirits. If I could type faster I would relate the story of how I know you can find replacement screws at auto stores!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.