Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: towing vehicle choices

Lakes might be fine, but my experience of boat ramps in SF Bay is that at low tide the ramp is covered in a layer of slime that makes it extremely slippery. I've struggled to get a 500lb boat up the ramp with 2WD, and on one occasion I couldn't even walk around on the ramp without holding on to the trailer!
Lou452 likes this.
Old 03-10-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

This is outside the norm; but everyone has heard before.

I pulled a 3000 lb (3500lb ttl) 22ft boat from Chicago to Syracuse NY back in November thru a blizzard with a 2013 Subaru Outback. No issues. None. I'm glad i had the subaru or i would have been stuck. Was i little scared; yes. The subaru is rated for 2750 from the factory. I was a little over. Pulling with a CVT tranny was weird. 15 MPG.
I pulled a certified weighed load of 5600 lbs from Minot, ND to Syracuse (31 hours) with a 2001 Subaru Outback. No issues. I traded that care at 186k with little issues.

Is any of this recommended; NO. But; i can't say enough about what a Subaru can do. A Subaru has REAL all wheel drive unlike most 4 X 4's. All 4 wheels on a subaru pull. American (Ford,Chevy) AWD is NOT the same. This comes in handy on a slippery ramp.
I have more stories of 4 wheeling in a subaru and pulling out stuck trucks (F350, F150,Dodge) when i go out hunting. The only thing a subaru lacks is ground clearance. Which is about the same as a Ford explorer.

You can pick a used outback for about $5K.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to benesailor For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
I pulled a 3000 lb (3500lb ttl) 22ft boat from Chicago to Syracuse NY back in November thru a blizzard with a 2013 Subaru Outback. No issues. None. I'm glad i had the subaru or i would have been stuck. Was i little scared; yes. The subaru is rated for 2750 from the factory. I was a little over. Pulling with a CVT tranny was weird. 15 MPG.
I pulled a certified weighed load of 5600 lbs from Minot, ND to Syracuse (31 hours) with a 2001 Subaru Outback. No issues. I traded that care at 186k with little issues.
Really? That is excellent news!

I currently don't have a tow vehicle for my Catalina 22 and will have to borrow or rent a truck every time I want to move it. I have no desire to own a truck or other large vehicle, so I had resigned myself to thinking that I'd always be borrowing or renting trucks.

But an Outback? I could drive an Outback! When it comes time to replace the current car I'll have to look at Outbacks.
Old 03-10-2014

Yahoo!

Check this out.

I have hauled MANY heavy loads with a Subaru. I have NEVER lost a transmission or engine. I haul logs from the woods and stack 12 cords a winter with them. I traded my F150 for a Subaru in 96. Never looked back. I am on my 7th subby. I put ALOT of miles on them. About 25-30k a year. I had a 09 Ford Flex (AWD Limited) for a bout a year. Got stuck on flat ground. It fell apart. After putting 3k into after 86k i traded it on the 13 Subby. Loved the Flex; what a hunk of Junk. 5k towing capability. The AWD was no match for a Subaru. One wheel would spin on a wet ramp. Couldn't move.
Minnesail likes this.
Old 03-10-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I'm not a member of the "you have to tow anything with a huge SUV or pickup" school, but I do think a good guideline is that the load is 50% of the tow vehicle weight, 70% at the most.

Towing 5600 lbs with a 3500 lb vehicle seems a bit much to me.
Old 03-10-2014

Oh yea, most of the Subarus i have bought were used. Except the 09 and 13 that i have presently.
Old 03-10-2014

Quote:
I'm not a member of the "you have to tow anything with a huge SUV or pickup" school, but I do think a good guideline is that the load is 50% of the tow vehicle weight, 70% at the most.

I agree.
I'm not recommending this. It was a money issue. It was summer and i wasn't crossing the mountains. Yet, it towed that 5600 lbs like it wasn't even back there. Outbacks are stiffly sprung. Handle well. You have to try it to believe it. They don't sway like most vehicles. I made sure that i maintained a safe braking distance and kept the speedo at 75mph.
Old 03-10-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Better to have an underworked big engine than an overworked small engine. Same goes for overall vehicle. I think Ford F-150s are a bargain for towing vehicles...but the long term reliability eats into that. That being said, Fords are much cheaper to repair. For my money, I'd look at a Toyota truck or SUV. I love the Sequoia as a tower.
Old 03-10-2014

Quote:
Fords are much cheaper to repair.
Not true.

I guess you have never owned a subaru (toyota?). Subarus cheap and easy to work on. I owned ford trucks and cars for years. I worked construction for 20 years. All my trucks i had to change out the transmission at one point or another. I raced a '61 Pro-Street Ford Falcon for years. Tubbed and all...street legal....Built it myself. I love Fords; i'll never buy a newer one again. That's just me though. I can crawl under a new one and tell you what they designed wrong. I'm hopeful the new aluminum F150 will change there path of bad construction.

If i had to pull more weight i'd find a Toyota 4-runner. Even more weight and i'd have a Chevy 4x4. 80% of Ford truck owners drive them because they are Macho and they think Ford trucks are pretty. Just check out the bed of their truck; no scratches. If the tailgate isn't rusted and the bed isn't crooked, then most likely the truck is pristine.
Old 03-10-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post

This is baloney! I've towed upwards of 2x the gvwr of vehicles without issues. THAT is about the max I would do. half the wt, would put my old dually crew cab 4x with a 300+hp/600=lb torque rig at maybe 4000 lbs of trailer!?!?!?!?!?!

If you want a max ratio, the one I learned back the the early 80s before rigs had gcwr's, was 2x the grawr for the max trailer wt. So a sueby has probably a 3K ra, so a 6K trailer would be about max for the chassis.

Now HP and torque.......those become a guessing game as to how much you really need per say. Europe rates sueby's at upwards of 5K lbs, here in the US you might get 3000-3500 lbs with the SAME rig.

THings that help in towing, a rig with plenty of payload, hp is secondary! a rectangular wheel base is prefered over a squarish one. Ie cj5, big blazer/bronco have squarish WB's. My dually crew cab, VERY rectangular! While I said HP is secondary, to a degree, more is better. BUT, from a getting going standpoint, torque and overall lower gears is what you need on a steep boat ramp. So a 4lo option with a smaller HP motor may be in the end a better option than a rwd BIG motor per say, as it may not have the gears to multiply the torque so you go up the hill!

Just MHO!

marty