Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: towing vehicle choices

My plan, my truck is always for sale. Our boat is not. I got a beater truck to tow a Catalina-22 The truck is a 2x4 six cyl 1997 F-150 ford with 80,000 miles on the truck. It was a State truck from the south so it is not all rust.
The bad part is they used it to cut trees and remove rocks and road kill and paint lines. The chain saw rode in the seat and the paint cans and rocks and logs went into the bed with no tie downs. The paint spills did not seem to cover all the scratches. The poor state worker must not have had enough money to by gloves his finger prints were all over in yellow and white road paint. They drove the truck into the middle of the downed tree and cut their way out. This must have saved time but did not do much for the truck. They could have lost a few moments getting the chain saw out of the seat but lucky for them the truck has two doors and you can drag the saw out on the most open side.
I plan on spending time in the boat away from the ugly truck. I will not have spend to much time thinking about what if someone puts a dent or door ding in it when I am on the lake.
If the ramp is slick I let the air out of the tires and use a 12 volt air pump to put air back in at the top
Kind regards, Lou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2014

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road

Other than a pick-up, look at Toyota RAV4's.
My '09 with tow package (trans cooler, etc) and a V-6 is rated for class 3 (3500 lbs) and handles it surprisingly easily.
Plus you get lots of interior cargo space and decent mileage (avg around 25)
Pick-ups are nice--I've always had them--but if you don't need an open box, you can manage with a small suv.
Old 03-12-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
This is baloney! I've towed upwards of 2x the gvwr of vehicles without issues. THAT is about the max I would do. half the wt, would put my old dually crew cab 4x with a 300+hp/600=lb torque rig at maybe 4000 lbs of trailer!?!?!?!?!?!

If you want a max ratio, the one I learned back the the early 80s before rigs had gcwr's, was 2x the grawr for the max trailer wt. So a sueby has probably a 3K ra, so a 6K trailer would be about max for the chassis.

marty
I agree with you Marty.. Semi cabs do not weigh twice what their rated towing capacity is. Granted, you do seem them jackknifed more often than f150s with sailboats in tow... but for the most part, they tow very well.

I use a 2003 Land Rover Discovery for my two vehicle. I got it because I knew I would be using it as a Daily Driver during the winter months (and it was much appreciated this winter). My 1961 Sea Sprite 23 weighs in at 3350 pounds of displacement plus trailer. I towed it from Lake Champlain all the way down to Atlantic City without incident and only then discovered that the trailer brakes were inoperative. I know a lot of people recommend not towing with them due to the short wheelbase.. but never once did the tail try to wag the dog

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2014

Tallswede is on a distinguished road

I bought an "08 Jeep Liberty because I wanted a smaller SUV that could tow my boats. It has a higher tow rating than the Wranglers or any other small to midsize SUV at 5000 lbs. I've been very happy with it. The smaller size makes it much easier to back the trailer than a long wheelbase truck and when I'm not towing it gets 20-22 mpg on the highway. It pulled my 4500 lb power boat up some decent hills around the Austin area with little trouble. When pulling larger loads with a light vehicle it's nice having brakes on the trailer. Tongue loading is very important for stabilty. I have only had to use 4WD a couple of times on really slimy ramps but in my long wheelbase pickup wheel spin was a major problem. Often I had to ask someone to climb into the back to weight the wheels.

Kevin
Old 03-12-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Here's a recommendation....dont tow at the top end of your towing capacity. Yes, your car is rated for 3000 lbs, but expect lots of problems if you consistently stress the capacity of your vehicle. Keep some in the bank. In any case, expect faster weardown of consumable components (brakes, oil changes more frequently, etc), as well as weardown of drivegear components too....differentials, suspension parts, etc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.