Any ideas on this Hooka type dive compressor system? - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2014

rcontrera is on a distinguished road
Re: Any ideas on this Hooka type dive compressor system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Another rediculous thread slamming anything made in China.
Absolutely! I would venture a guess that most, if not all of the professional breathing air systems marketed in the US have Chinese components. Parker is one of the largest suppliers of breathing air hose and fittings we use in the diving industry and they have almost ALL their stuff made in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I do agree that the units will probably be designed for another purpose. As Is my Yanmar and other marine engines!
My smallest high pressure air compressor for filling scuba tanks was originally designed for filling bottles used for starting-air for the Italian Air Force.

All that said, the key is getting a compressor ... ANY compressor ... that can supply the proper pressure and flow rate to push air through a breathing air grade filtration system. The crappier the compressor, the more filtration needed. The more filtration, the harder the compressor has to work to push through it so the bigger the compressor.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Mark-
"Another rediculous thread slamming anything made in China"
As anyone who has contracted with a Chinese business partner or vendor can tell you, and as every business publication has commented, there's a big difference between what might be made in China, and what is sold from China.

Time and time again, if something is exported directly from China (as that eBay compressor appears to be, from the broken Ynglish) there is no quality control and no assurance of what it actually is. The insulin scandal, the toxic toothpaste, are all examples of how it is considered normal, acceptable, and proper by the old school Chinese to treat the animals from the West. And I say "animals" literally, as the Chinese were taught for millennia that their were the Gods, the Emperor, and a strict division all the way down to the wide-eyed hairy barbarians of the Old World. Just as the Japanese were taught.

This is all history, culture, and fact. Dumping your garbage on the animals wasn't shameful, they were animals after all.

Today the culture is arguably changing, but there are still many problems in China that are addressed only when a local partner (read: family) is in charge on site at all times. This is one reason why Chinese vendors have bought western companies (i.e. Volvo) instead of trying to build and export a market to the West. They know that a Chinese-native brand simply will not be trusted, even if Haier has proven that it can be otherwise. Arguably.

Wasn't it two years ago that there was a big toxic-milk-product scandal in China? And the man responsible for it was sentenced to death? It's so hard to keep track, while looking at the pictures of smog in Peking (Beijing, whatever it is this year) and brand new empty cities, some built with (oops) concrete that literally is falling apart. The Chinese don't have an exclusive on this stuff, but they just do it SO well.

Last edited by hellosailor; 03-14-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-14-2014

Ilenart is on a distinguished road

I brought a double hooka and I find that when I am using it by myself for cleaning the boat it has plenty of air. The system is quoting Compressor: 4 cfm and Operating pressure: 25 psi. Buying one designed for two people would solve the issue of running out of air, then you can take other people out to check out the coral. They may even help you scrub your boat!

Attached is the link, though it may only be available in Oz.

Ilenart

PowerSnorkel | Powerdive

Last edited by Ilenart; 03-14-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2014

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road

Hi,
We found our solution.
After watching this video I decide the 12v system was just to rinky dink.

I do not see how to embed a video in this post so here is the URL.

DeWalt
150 PSI 2.6 SCFM compressor.
Supports two divers and is used by some of the crews cleaning bottoms on the docks for a living.

A friend who was a professional diver cleaning boat bottoms bought the Harbor Freight 6 gal model and is happy with it. Another cruiser friend tried the 2 gal model but it did not give enough air.

A cruiser tried a friends Airline system on his 40' + sail boat with a full keel and a 6' draft. He said he is over weight and smokes. He said he was scrapping with a wide scrapper and was breathing hard but the Airline could not keep up so he was looking for a compressor like the ones described here. So the success rates vary but we tried our DeWalt and it works for us great.

We here in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico do not have a “Harbor Freight”.

So we thought at Home Depot in Puerto Vallarta we could get the Porter-Cable 6-Gal. 150 psi Oil-Free Pancake Compressor but what were we thinking! No way, at least not now.

They may have had them at one time but not now. They could be dis-continued as I think the DeWalt one we bought could be. We do not see the DeWalt one on the DeWalt web site now. So we left Home Depot and went to a tool store. They sold some of the “Trooper” brand items but had no “Pancake Compressor” types. Then off to Bucerias to another tool store who said they do not carry the Porter-Cable 6-Gal. 150 psi Oil-Free Pancake Compressor any more. That their DeWalt 6 gal is over 4000 pesos (well over $300.00 USD) and to get it at Home Depot in Puerto Vallarta but he would have the water traps in next week. OK back to Puerto Vallarta and a stop at Cosco but no luck so then to Home Depot and pony up for the DeWalt 6 gal Pancake Compressor. Home Depot had another brand a “Husky” but we did not like it. There were too many parts exposed and it was taller making it hard for us to store. We paid about twice as much by the time we got the DeWalt out of Home Depot but we consider it money well spent. Actually it was about $100.00 USD over the non-sale price of the Porter-Cable 6-Gal. 150 psi Oil-Free Pancake Compressor. Things are just not easy here in Mexico when trying to buy a specific brand or model no matter what the store. Add in the language barrier as we speak limited Spanish. Debbie does speak some Spanish now but still it is hard to get the point across. We think we can run the DeWalt on the inverter and eliminate the Honda EU 2000i generator. The DeWalt draws 10 amps.

We will clean out the hanging locker soon so this compressor sit in here nicely.

So we went out and purchased a DeWalt compressor at Home Depot. Fits in our forward hanging locker which is really a storage locker as our close are rolled up as they are not cotton, they are a light breathing easy dry non wrinkle fabric.

We had gone o the tool store in Bucerias, Mexico and ordered a water separator or water trap and then went back this week and they forgot to order it. He said that his friend at another sore in Mezcales had what we wanted (he called him) so we drover there but guess what. He did not.

So we had him order the one that we liked, this one. It will be in, in yet one more week but the bottom can not wait that long or it will get real hard to clean so we got a temp one for now. We went back to pick it up and now they say they can not get just the single you need to buy the double so we will keep looking

We did find a simple one that will get us by at an paint store with some more looking. We also picked up some nice air fittings that will not rust.

We also picked up some SS scrubber pads for cleaning the water line. At dinner with Danny and Debra on S\V Cyclades they told us these SS pads do a real nice job on the tough spots along the water line. We tried these or my wife did the water line and used these. Got all the grass and green and poo from macerating off the boat at the water line. They worked great.

Had to go to a truck brake hydraulic shop and get a 1\4" fitting crimped on the old Hooka hose to connect to the water trap or water separator. We also saw single air line fittings there of all types.

Then we attached the water trap and we good to go diving!

We used the DeWalt with the Honda EU 2000I generator and I was down cleaning the boat just over two hours. It was great having unlimited air! Got a real premium job done.

We set the PSI to 90 and this worked for air delivery to our 5' 6" draft or more because our water line is under water We have abut a 40' hose.
Thanks,
Chip

Last edited by tdw; 03-26-2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Embed Video
Old 03-26-2014

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

I would concider where I would place the generator in relation to the compresser , not that you end up with exhaust in the compresser!.....Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 03-26-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Compressed CO will kill you quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-26-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoChip View Post
We think we can run the DeWalt on the inverter and eliminate the Honda EU 2000i generator. The DeWalt draws 10 amps.
Chip
Not for long. It requires about 100 amps DC to make 10 amps AC with an inverter.
Old 03-26-2014
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

1.- Your inexpensive pneumatic fittings guaranteed to corrode and freeze-up in short order, especially since they will live 24/7/365 in a salt air environment.

2.- The plastic water trap is the first thing that will break, IMHO. It should not be a fixed attachment point for the air hose. In fact, you really do not need it at all.

3.- As previously mentioned, the gas-powered generator should be as far from the compressor as possible. Either that, or you need to mount an air intake snorkle on the compressor.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 03-27-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoChip View Post
Hi,
We found our solution.
After watching this video I decide the 12v system was just to rinky dink.

I do not see how to embed a video in this post so here is the URL.

Chip
the guy in the video says it is good for 5 meters, yet when the guy put his head under water you can hear the pump start to strain, I think he meant to say 5 centimeters....

Or are those Australian meters shorter than the rest of the world???

OH and Please be safe, move that geny away from the compressor. We want to to be able to make posts in the future!
Old 03-27-2014

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Thanks for the input. We will move the compresser away from the generator for saftey. I will be going under again this next week to replace the shaft zinc. My first time replacing a zinc!
Guess the inverter option is not going to work at 100 amps for 10 amps AC. Will give it a shot to see what happens and keep an eye on the Link 2000
Not sure about the water trap. All the divers I have seen at both Paradise Village Marina and La Cruz Marina use them so I figured it best to follow suit.
Thanks,
Chip