Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough
Re: Bridle to rode connection?

I'd suggest a 'prussik sling' attachment to the rode ... the sling is just an endless loop of either rope or tubular webbing, the total length of the 'sling' is small so that you wind up with a small section of loop available to attach the bridle line.

The prussik sling and bridle then pulled tight under the bow so that the prussik connect is AT the waterline at the bow. One typically needs hawse holes or chocks well back from the bow to so this.
The advantages will be that a boat that 'sails' on its anchor will have a greatly dampened motion at anchor, sometimes no swinging motion at all; and/plus you will have a greater scope advantage since the rode is not directly attached to the stem but the bow's waterline

Here's the sling-prussik... use 3 or more 'wraps' on the rode:
Here's how the bridle works:

Last edited by RichH; 03-12-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
This is all in a effort to be able to deploy or retrieve the anchor while solo and or from the cockpit
OK, stop right there... What the hell is going on around here, lately, with all these needlessly complex 'solutions' to the simplest things ? :-)

Sorry, I'm with Minnewaska, I'm simply not following what it is you're trying to accomplish, exactly... But why do you feel the need to be able to deploy or retrieve the anchor from the cockpit, on a boat where you can move between the foredeck and helm in a matter of seconds?

Seriously, keep it simple, and leave that "remote retrieval/deployment" stuff to the guys pushing an UP or DOWN button up on the flybridge of their 50' Sea Rays... :-)
RichH likes this.
Old 03-12-2014

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

thanks RichH
Much clearer now
Old 03-13-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
I'd suggest a 'prussik sling' attachment to the rode ... the sling is just an endless loop of either rope or tubular webbing, the total length of the 'sling' is small so that you wind up with a small section of loop available to attach the bridle line.

The prussik sling and bridle then pulled tight under the bow so that the prussik connect is AT the waterline at the bow. One typically needs hawse holes or chocks well back from the bow to so this.
The advantages will be that a boat that 'sails' on its anchor will have a greatly dampened motion at anchor, sometimes no swinging motion at all; and/plus you will have a greater scope advantage since the rode is not directly attached to the stem but the bow's waterline
I'm sure I'm just not following this whole topic very well. If I understand your suggestion, why would pulling this bridle set up tightly through the side chocks cause the rode to pull in at the water line and not just keep the original scope of the rode?

Secondly, I love the prussic knot, but not for this. They do not reset well if they become fully unloaded and we're not always pulling hard on an anchor rode. The individual wraps of the prussic have a desire to override on each other. Especially in the water, I think an unloaded prussic could become a rats nest. But, I've never tried it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-13-2014

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

I've used three different knots in the past to attach a bridle to the rode. The rolling hitch is the easiest to do, but there is a problem with it becoming unloaded and I've had occasion where it has come undone. No problem with the prusik knot, but I prefer the klemheist knot because the load is applied in one direction.
Old 03-13-2014

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneisberg View Post
ok, stop right there... What the hell is going on around here, lately, with all these needlessly complex 'solutions' to the simplest things ? :-)

sorry, i'm with minnewaska, i'm simply not following what it is you're trying to accomplish, exactly... But why do you feel the need to be able to deploy or retrieve the anchor from the cockpit, on a boat where you can move between the foredeck and helm in a matter of seconds?

Seriously, keep it simple, and leave that "remote retrieval/deployment" stuff to the guys pushing an up or down button up on the flybridge of their 50' sea rays... :-)
+1...kiss
Old 03-16-2014
Bill

white74 is on a distinguished road

I remember someone once had the chain running to twin nylon rodes hence giving you a bridle of sorts for retrieval perhaps a Scotsman on a trip ring would be your simplest solution for shock absorption twisted nylon works better than the double braid many seem to use but it has stowage issues or single plaited nylon for a little of each
Old 03-16-2014
Bill

white74 is on a distinguished road

and the main rode should still be secured a little slack perhaps but secured nonetheless so if your hitch slips then you would just ride back slightly and when you check your anchor you could easily fix it