Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-17-2006
Cruise-aholic

yachtvalhalla is on a distinguished road
Beware of Morse Control JUNK

I installed engine controls originally made by Morse (and inherited by Teleflex) in December 2002. As with the previously installed controls (for which Teleflex was kind enough to replace with a new unit), the most recent set did the same thing as the previous ... due to poor construction practices. The throttle lever (which is chrome over pot metal, not bronze as advertised) is attached to an aluminum shaft which sits inside the bronze shifter lever. The setscrews are mild steel. The backing plate and other parts are mild steel. It is all JUNK.

I removed the controls two days ago and this is what they look like:

These controls list at $520 with West Marine. I've sent this picture to the West Marine 'gearfeedback' folks but won't hold my breath. As happened with the previous set they passed the buck to Teleflex.

Since I happen to like this basic design of the controls, I'm having the mild steel parts reproduced in stainless steel.

Just thought you folks would like to know about this.

Terry
Old 03-17-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I bought a Vetus for my 27 year old throttle. All stainless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2006

haffiman37 is on a distinguished road
How could you put that garbage on your teak?
Old 03-22-2006

pilot435 is on a distinguished road
West Marine

The problem with West Maarine can be summed up in two words: "Fresh Water".

After buying my "Salt Water" boat I refurbished it with West Marine products. They all lasted one to two years.

What was really crasy was that when I took a couple of items back I was admonished for "leaving them out in a salt-water environment".

Vetus - First

West Marine - Last.

GE
Old 03-23-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Terry,

It's unfortunate your Morse experience turned ugly, but I have to say - based upon the condition of my units, the parts shown in your photo do not look like they're 3-4 years old.

My 1986 Nauticat ketch has two Morse controls, one at the aft-helm and the other within the pilothouse. Both units are original to the boat and after 20 years are in excellent condition. The pilothouse control is protected in a controlled environment, however, the aft-helm control is always uncovered and exposed to all forms of weather & ocean conditions.

I had removed the front teak panel of the aft-helm console last season, examined the unit and found no evidence at all of any corrosion or rust, with all mechanisms working and looking like new. The chrome finishes over metal exterior casings do have some minor pitting as shown in the photos below, but I recently buffed this out very easily.

Steve

Old 03-23-2006

TRUE BLUE.
You have MORSE Controles! What is shown is a morse design. It is the same difference as an original ROLEX and one bought for 1$ in Petaling Street in Kuala lumpur! Look alike - BUT!
Old 03-23-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
haffiman37,

So, it is your impression that the "Morse" controls on Fuji 32s were actually design knock-offs of true Morse units? Years ago, Japanese manufacturers were known to produce cheap imitations of quality products, but I don't know if Fuji Yachts made those types of compromises?

My understanding is that Teleflex acquired the original Morse name & patents, but I suppose it is possible that Valhalla's 2002 "Teleflex/Morse" replacement was not built to the same quality standards as the original Morse controls.

Steve

Last edited by TrueBlue; 03-23-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2006

Haveing been in the boating business for more than 30 years I have unfortunately seen to much of what have happened with some "Good Old" brands. I'm afraid the Morse controls of today are not the same they were 20 years ago! Take care of the ones you have, You will never get the same quality back!
Old 03-23-2006
Cruise-aholic

yachtvalhalla is on a distinguished road
True Blue has a different model of control than what I have been dealing with. When I replaced the original one cylinder engine that had been installed by Fuji it had a wonderful dual control made by Morse with handles that were removable. It was not a knockoff but an original unit. Unfortunately I let that control go with the engine that went into another boat. That style control is no longer available. When I installed the replacement two cylinder engine I installed a single lever, 'push button for neutral', control. Another case of disimilar metals and the push button was a maintenance headache. That got replaced by an MJB control manufactured by Morse .. the dual lever design which I like. My control is in the cockpit exposed to the elements and salt water washing of the teak and our bodies. But the MJB control has mild steel components that are behind the footwell in the cockpit and, though it seldom gets wet, still rust away to what is shown in the above photo. When Teleflex purchased Morse they inherited the Morse product line, probably much to their chagrin.

And for haffiman37, that teak in the photo is 30 years old and is being replaced during my current refit. Yes, I wish I had that control I let go 25 years ago :-)

I inspected a new single lever Teleflex control the other day made of plastic which looked pretty good until I turned it over and found that same mild steel being used inside!!

Terry

Last edited by yachtvalhalla; 03-23-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2006

If you want quality controles go to:
http://www.kobelt.com
Download the PDF brochure!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.