Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road
line in the prop, issues after

On the way down the coast we ate our 1" dock line into the prop at 2100RPM...

Its now hard to turn by hand.
I was diving on it the other day and the resistance is equal for the entire revolution. so bent is out of the list of why it is hard to turn (thou it may still be bent)
When the diver untangled the prop he took a sledge to the prop strut. He said it was bent out of shape. I can take the shaft out in the water, thats no problem, but what do i look for to replace?
Did i bend the prop strut, and now i need a new one? where do i even buy one of those?
or is it something else?
I could take photos the next time i splash...
what should i look for under water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2014

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: line in the prop, issues after

How did the diver know the strut was bent. I have seen plenty that are offset slightly to one side or the other to enable removing the shaft and clearing the rudder. Maybe he bent the strut into what he thought was proper but really knocking it out of alignment.

Even if it was truly bent, a sledgehammer, especially underwater, is not going to get it back to where it originally was. You will need to haul the boat, remove the shaft and check the alignment of the strut.

Before you go diving, remove the bolts at the prop shaft flange and back the shaft out 1/2" and see if it continues to line up with the output flange.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 03-12-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
When the diver untangled the prop he took a sledge to the prop strut. He said it was bent out of shape.
So, a diver eyeballs a strut underwater, and starts banging it with a sledgehammer after determining it was out of alignment ???

Wow, that is some kind of Special Brand of Stoopid, for sure... :-)
Maine Sail likes this.
Old 03-12-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Its now hard to turn by hand. "
Maybe...thinking aloud and this could all be totally wrong...the cutless bearing is now "too tight" because some debris, some pieces of the line, got stuffed into it? That would have the same effect as over-tightening the shaft log, clamping down on the shaft and making it uniformly harder to turn.
It might be worthwhile to pull the bearing & replace it, in order to eliminate any question of that, if everything else seems right. I'd wonder if the diver whacked the support ON the area of the cutless bearing, compressing it out of round so it now pinches the shaft all the time. No way to tell that unless you ran a dial caliper (etc) inside it after removing the cutless bearing.
davidpm and boatpoker like this.
Old 03-12-2014

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

Turning the prop in neutral, and you are still turning a gear or two inside the tranny. There will be resistance. You also have a reduction gear that may turn in neutral as well, on that size of a boat. So I say try the boat, and notice any changes in RPM or vibration.
Hitting the prop support may start a leak, just above it.
Old 03-12-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

How in the world can you align a prop strut with a sledehammer, underwater? Maybe with a forked pry bar.

I would venture to say your strut is out of alignment. The prop shouldn't be "hard" to turn in nuetral. Some resistance; but not hard.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 03-12-2014
Schooner Captain

hmmmm....

I didn't question the diver. he had been diving as long as i have been living.
He said it was out, and he hit it and made it better.

On the resistance part, its a hydraulic transmission. So yes, i guess it is still turning something in there, but not much. Also since the rope incident it does not freewheel while sailing.

I will check the bearing again, this time for debris.

Old 03-12-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

I fully understand the expensive issue you currently have BUT this issue is difficult and time consuming on land
christian.hess likes this.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-12-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

soooo the diver took a sledge hammer to unbend the strut with shaft attached...he must be the hulk, Im assuming he used it in a prying manner...but that is one of the dumbest things ive heard lately while shaft is still attached...

man what a help

he made the issue worse...so depending on hull exit like above and strength of shaftlog etc...at the least you have to take strut off bend back into shape...realign shaft strut and mounts...

while shaft is off take it to be balanced if needed same with prop

no easy way out of this without a haulout

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 03-12-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
soooo the diver took a sledge hammer to unbend the strut with shaft attached...he must be the hulk, Im assuming he used it in a prying manner...but that is one of the dumbest things ive heard lately while shaft is still attached...
i heard him banging very hard...

Quote:

no easy way out of this without a haulout
thats what i was afraid of. need to make a trip to the saint johns river next year i guess.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.