Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014

priceless9192 is on a distinguished road
Bulkhead repair question (finishing)

As my bulkhead project is in its final stages in my San Juan 28 'Enterprise', i need some advice. I have pulled out every piece of wood on the interior and used as templates for new Jorbet Marine plywood. All pieces are installed with stainless wood/fiberglass screws and bolts. i am now looking at some rough cuts as i walk around the galley. My question is can i fill and fair the gaps which meet the cabin roof with marine grade fiberglass body filler? i plan on taping straight clean lines on the bulkheads and cabin roof before i begin working with the material. Even though the deck is 100% firm, i want to know if i will have any problems with the deck naturally flexing especially while under sail. This seems like a decent option for me, rather than going the painstaking route of cutting 1 3/4 pieces of oak trim to conform the the cabin roof.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2014

SVTatia is on a distinguished road
Re: Bulkhead repair question (finishing)

Is your mast deck or keel stepped?
You need to insert something soft, like closed cell foam to avoid a hard spot. Even though the deck is 100% firm, it still flexes and you don't want a hard spot holding it up and stressing the glass.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 03-13-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

this is our tabbing to the deck

foam inside...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 03-13-2014

you can see the foam here

Old 03-13-2014

finished bulkhead

not the prettiest...still need to paint and trim and install cabinets and the such but its way sturdy and no hard spots so to speak...the foam was just packed in then initial tabbing to keep it in place then laid up after that....

you can see the hull liner in the background...mine was firmly attached to the hull there so I tabbed to liner...I know its not the best solution but since we did major tabbing elseewhere compared to stock tabbing I think Im ok

im hoping it is...
SVTatia likes this.

Old 03-13-2014

priceless9192 is on a distinguished road

How firm does closed cell foam get? Is it sandable when cured? the rig is deck stepped and has a solid oak compression post which is original and intact
Old 03-13-2014

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceless9192 View Post
How firm does closed cell foam get? Is it sandable when cured? the rig is deck stepped and has a solid oak compression post which is original and intact
Insert the foam and cover it with wood trim or such. A picture would help us to better understand and provide the proper advice.
Old 03-14-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Use core foam like Airex or Core-Cell, not the closed cell stuff that gets used for upholstery

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-14-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Use close cell foam but it doesn't have to be anything expensive. I have used Ethafoam in the past. All it is there for is to space the bulkhead from the hull/deck so there are not any hard spots. When finished the tabbing on both sides of the bulkhead takes all the loading.

You don't have to use foam at all really. Morris Yachts uses a spacer, tabs one side, and then removes the spacer before tabbing the other side.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 03-15-2014

^^^^x2 a lot of tabbing is done this way...or removed this way like you say

the worker said he preffered doing it this way...I thought foam would keep a better line to fillet and stuff.

originally a lot of boats simply use wood spacers....tab one side...remove then tab other side...the air gap is there and the tabbing does its job

foam is just a simple way of keeping that line if you will and cushion a bit...more than likely over time it will just desintegrate with the heat and all

when real question I have always wondered is about filleting...in essence the fillet is harder than the tabbing so really you kind of are making a hard spot but its thin...the tabbing should flex a bit but be strong....dunno just always wondered...well see what happens on my boat at least jajaja

Last edited by christian.hess; 03-15-2014 at 10:32 AM.