Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gedaggett

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014

gedaggett is on a distinguished road
Fabrication: Ranger 29 Rudder Post Flange

One of the boats in the fleet needed to have a the rudder post flange to be replaced. As you can imagine you can't just run down to the old trusty Walmart and pick up a new one on a boat that is 40 years old and way out of production. So I sourced the material and routed one with some modifications.

The old flange was fastened with only 3 10-24 screws which I was not good as one of the bolts had broken and the other two allowed some serious play. I Programmed it to have 6 holes and a larger footprint to spread out the load on the fiberglass.

I used the CNC router to make the part. I first made 6 templates out of HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) with different size post holes (varying by .064) to get fitment as the old one had worn away some and was allowing some play in the rudder. The material is wickedly expensive. It is fiber reinforced Phenolic and cost $107 per square foot!!! Mistakes would be costly so I made one out of HDPE to test the height settings of the router first. In this picture you can see the original, fit test piece, the test run and the new one half way through the routing process.

The material is held down on the router with vacuum but since the piece was so small (4.25x4.5) I was concerned about it moving on the table and messing up the piece. For that reason I used a process called onion skinning. I leave a very thin skin on the bottom side of the part that keeps it attached to the rest of the material and with the added surface area it doesn't move.

You can see how thin the skin is as the light shows though it.

I then use a table mounted hand router with a round over bit to remove the skin. I put a piece of masking tape on the material so as not to scratch up the surface.

Final result looks pretty good. I am installing it tomorrow and will take some photos of it on the boat and post an update.

Faster and krisscross like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Fabrication: Ranger 29 Rudder Post Flange

Nice work!

I have a small CNC mill at home and it can be very handy for making one-off repair items on the boat. I have access to a much larger one as well, though I haven't had a project that required a large custom object yet.
Old 03-14-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Nice work!.. Did you consider just using the HDPE itself? rather than the costly material used (realize it's 'the same' as what was there)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-14-2014

Memopad is on a distinguished road

Very cool! The flange on my Ranger 28 is round and has a million bolts going around it. Don't have a picture handy but it seriously has like 12-16 bolts in a circle around it.

I need to replace that upper flange myself one of these days. Also need to redo the bottom bearing.
Old 03-14-2014

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Nice work!.. Did you consider just using the HDPE itself? rather than the costly material used (realize it's 'the same' as what was there)
HDPE doesn't have the same non compression value as the phenolic. Phenolic is very hard and does not compress. Also HDPE is too soft. I know it is expensive but it was the right material to use in that application. The entire weight of the rudder sits on this flange so had to be Phenolic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
The Following User Says Thank You to gedaggett For This Useful Post:
Faster (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memopad View Post
Very cool! The flange on my Ranger 28 is round and has a million bolts going around it. Don't have a picture handy but it seriously has like 12-16 bolts in a circle around it.

I need to replace that upper flange myself one of these days. Also need to redo the bottom bearing.
The complication on the R28's top bushing is that it's round AND tapered.. we made a new one for my brother's R28 years ago but it was tricky.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-14-2014

Memopad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
The complication on the R28's top bushing is that it's round AND tapered.. we made a new one for my brother's R28 years ago but it was tricky.
That doesn't sound fun, I had no idea it was tapered.
Old 03-14-2014
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Very nice work Gary!

Everybody has one: