Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-29-2006

Sea Cow is on a distinguished road
A Bayliner Buccaneer 272 given to me 4 free?

Iíve been offered a 1980 272 for free. Itís in a local lake with 12 inches of water standing inside. The owner has no trailer. The cabin would have to be completely redone due to the water damage. My biggest question Iíd like to have answered is, is this repairable or has the standing water damaged the structural integrity of the boat? Iím a master trim carpenter so the woodwork should be relatively easy for me.
Frankly I have boat fever though Iíve been giving a lot to home build a sailboat,, Iím shocked and awed at the notion of a free boat! I could take it and haul it onto a regular flatbed trailer and savage the rigging, which appears to be intact. The mast has (lol) a sail in the front and a sail in the back in canvas, though I didnít care to open the canvas and check the state of the fabic.
From the looks of it the lake level went down and nobody tended to the boat leaving it on shore. Upon lake filling water gained entry to the cabin/ hull. Beyond the fiberglass skin, do anyone know what the hull is comprised of? Are there wooden elements of the hull that now renders the boat junk, due to the water immersion?
Thanks ahead of time for any help you could send my way. Happy sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2006

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
don't worry too much

Bought a pearson Triton a while ago that had sat for several years with water inside, looked nasty.
surprisingly solid, and the woodwork was still in good but grungy shape, cleaned up nice.

Normally the hull is solid, not cored, though that seems to be changeable.
not an impossible job if it is, not fun, but doable.

www.geocities.com/merc2dogs

shows what mine looked like when I first picked it up.

ken.
Old 04-03-2006

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
My friend a free boat is a free boat!
What's the worst that can happen here?
How do you lose?
Worst case sell it or it's parts on ebay and make a few $$$

As for water damage...

Drain it, put a number of fans and a dehumidifier in the cabin for a week and you are done. Anything warped or delaminated you replace and as you said it should be easy and enjoyable for you. The fiberglass will be fine.

Go to it!
Old 04-03-2006

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
My friend a free boat is a free boat!
What's the worst that can happen here?
How do you lose?
Worst case sell it or it's parts on ebay and make a few $$$

As for water damage...

Drain it, put a number of fans and a dehumidifier in the cabin for a week and you are done. Anything warped or delaminated you replace and as you said it should be easy and enjoyable for you. The fiberglass will be fine.

Go to it!
Old 04-04-2006

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Me, I'd hire a yacht surveyor to take a look and give me an opinion. But that's just me.
Old 04-05-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd say go for it... the free hull is a good start for you, but a survey isn't a bad idea. Even if you have to gut the hull and redo the interior from scratch, that still is not that bad, provided the deck and hull are fairly sound.
Old 04-05-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Be prepared for more of a project than you expect. Also, if the hull is cored, you may not want to take it on. Could cost musch more to fix than it would to buy a boat in decent shape. Old Pearsons had solid hulls but many other boats did not. Balsa cored hulls can become unsound as a result of exposure to water. If I were you, I would do a google search and try to email owner(s) as to whether the hull is cored.
Old 04-05-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
I agree about getting a survey. Even a free boat can be too expensive if it's not worth the $$$ it would take to fix it up.
Old 04-05-2006

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
Ahhhhh blast the survey dry it out and have a good look. Bayliner was famous for using cheep plywood for the stringers and glassing them over. I would look at that and the transom which is also plywood if it is rotted and the motor needs to be rebuilt well it could be a real dog. I took a Bayliner and on the sides of the Ninteen seventie through eighty years boats they have a hard chine above the water line about 18" on a 27 it may be 24" or more. I used it as a guide about two inches above it and cut the top off and removed it. I used a circular saw and a Stanley Paranah Blade it cut right through it. The stringers were rotted so I took a sawsall and a long blade and if you cut to the bottom and hold it at an angle you can walk right down the hull and cut the stringers out and never hurt the hull. What I had was a bare hull which I built a real nice dive boat out of for about $1000 including all new hardware and a new deck.
Old 04-07-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd also do a little research to see if the boat was made with a cored hull, or if the hull was solid laminate. If it is solid laminate, then it's probably worth going for... if it is a cored hull, be very cautious... fixing it if the core has delaminated is very time consuming and fairly expensive.