SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A Bayliner Buccaneer 272 given to me 4 free?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  joethecobbler 
#1 ·
I’ve been offered a 1980 272 for free. It’s in a local lake with 12 inches of water standing inside. The owner has no trailer. The cabin would have to be completely redone due to the water damage. My biggest question I’d like to have answered is, is this repairable or has the standing water damaged the structural integrity of the boat? I’m a master trim carpenter so the woodwork should be relatively easy for me.
Frankly I have boat fever though I’ve been giving a lot to home build a sailboat,, I’m shocked and awed at the notion of a free boat! I could take it and haul it onto a regular flatbed trailer and savage the rigging, which appears to be intact. The mast has (lol) a sail in the front and a sail in the back in canvas, though I didn’t care to open the canvas and check the state of the fabic.
From the looks of it the lake level went down and nobody tended to the boat leaving it on shore. Upon lake filling water gained entry to the cabin/ hull. Beyond the fiberglass skin, do anyone know what the hull is comprised of? Are there wooden elements of the hull that now renders the boat junk, due to the water immersion?
Thanks ahead of time for any help you could send my way. Happy sailing.

#3 ·
Price is probably about what the boat is worth. 😊

Some comments. Hull is surely solid fiberglass so the water is not an issue there. Damage is most likely to the interior wood, fabric and the like. Concern might be plywood bulkheads as they are structural. Sails and engine are major possible costs. Buccaneers are not well regarded sailboats, so be careful here or you may end up spending money fixing this thing up and not be happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.