SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Copper sheeting & CopperCoat anti-fouling (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/130194-copper-sheeting-coppercoat-anti-fouling.html)

Classic30 03-28-2014 03:25 AM

Re: Copper sheeting & CopperCoat anti-fouling

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain (Post 1675170)
..... The old boys recognized, even way back when, that copper didn't prevent fouling all that well; besides, they had plenty of cheap labor to careen the ship and scrape the bottom when necessary. ......

It's a little more complicated than that. For starters, if it were only Teredo you were worried about, wood sheathing works just as well as copper (better, actually) and is far cheaper, even back then.

Here's a good write-up:

FWIW, copper sheathing works just fine at discouraging both weed and Teredo (assuming it doesn't get damaged by hitting anything) but is pretty high-maintenance and very high cost and is only suitable for application on copper-fastened timber hulls and, for that use, a tiny break in the copper is all a Teredo needs to get through.

Copper-based painting is sooo much easier..

Fstbttms 03-28-2014 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 1675122)
I wasn't referring to zinc based bottom paints - at least as far as I know. I was referring to paints such as MicronCF. Looking at their data sheets it doesn't mention the contents. Do MicronCF and other non-copper paints all include zinc?

Not all non-copper paints contain zinc but Micron CF does.

BoatyardBoy 03-28-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delezynski (Post 1674226)
We are at Seabrook off France road. At least for a couple more days before we start heading east. Stop by and say hi if you are in the area.

Greg

Yea, I know the place.. I'll try to swing by before I go back offshore next week.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Edboat 03-28-2014 01:39 PM

I am the US Distributor for Coppercoat and would be glad to answer any questions anyone has.
There is a lot of misinformation on here.

Coppercoat does NOT need to be sanded every year to keep it working. It only needs to be sanded 1 time before the first launch.

Fstbttms 03-28-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edboat (Post 1676561)
Coppercoat does NOT need to be sanded every year to keep it working. It only needs to be sanded 1 time before the first launch.

Again I play the Hallberg-Rassy 43 card:

http://www.fotolode.com/images/fstbt...coatbottom.jpg

The fouling growth in this image took about a year to accumulate. I would not expect to see this kind of growth on a say, Trinidad bottom in good condition if it hadn't been cleaned for a year. So FWIW, in my experience and in my neck of the woods, the product doesn't perform particulary well .

MarkSF 03-28-2014 01:55 PM

Dear Mr Coppercoat distributor,

If there is misinformation, the way to counter it is with sound information.

I have an open mind, but open to sound data, from scientifically sound testing, as opposed to hearsay.

Perhaps you could post some links to data from comparative tests. Has Practical Sailor ever included Coppercoat in their testing?

Captainmeme 03-28-2014 02:15 PM

Dear Mr. US Distributor for Coppercoat,

I too have an open mind and would very much like to see unbiased reports on the performance of your product. Links please.

Fstbttms 03-28-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 1676609)
Has Practical Sailor ever included Coppercoat in their testing?

Found on the interwebs. I am not a PS subscriber and therefore cannot vouch for this quote's accuracy or authenticity:

Coppercoat earned a Poor performance rating at the 12-month mark (PS, October 2010) and a Poor at the 18-month test checkup (PS, March 2011). It didn't make the cut after 24 months, so it was not included in the two-year test results table in the October issue. And while Coppercoat is promoted as a 10-year coating, it does require regular cleaning to expose fresh copper, which is not part of our protocol for the static panel test and could explain its sub-par performance. Some readers have reported good results over multiple seasons from using Coppercoat with semi-monthly cleanings to remove slime.

https://www.mail-archive.com/cnc-lis.../msg03572.html

MarkSF 03-28-2014 03:01 PM

So if we are generous and allow them the claimed 10 year life, it still needs regular cleaning. So let's say diving costs are a wash vs. Pettit Trinidad SR.

Trouble is, my boat always needs hauling after 2 years, anyway. Something always comes up. This time, I found the rudder loose. I get a break on the haulout if I get a coat of bottom paint done.

10 year cost of Pettit Trinidad SR :

$1200 x 5 = $6200. But we can subtract the cost of the break I'm getting on a haulout which would need doing anyway. Call it $5200.

10 year cost of Coppercoat :

If I get Coppercoat, the bottom needs stripping back to gel coat again. This alone costs about $4000.

$4000 for a strip, plus application costs. Say $5200 all in?

No convinced of the economics, even if it does work.

hellosailor 03-28-2014 03:23 PM

Doug, at the risk of being called a politically incorrect dinosaur and baby killer...I want TBT and the damned oysters can mutate any way they please.

We used one of the copper products, I'm no longer sure which, -coat or -poxy, some years ago. Worked great the first winter, worthless the next summer despite following the instructions exactly, mixing, applying, etc. as indicated. And that's what I keep hearing online, like most other coatings some of it works in some places for some people, and often much of it just doesn't. Which leaves you with a lot of expensive epoxy on the hull.

Maybe back in the 90's someone got together with 3M in an effort make make self-adhesive copper foil sheets that could pee-n-stick on hulls and conform to them. IIRC they never could get the adhesive problem solved but you might try rattling some cages at 3M, they're very good at passing around phone calls and who knows, they might be challenged into trying again. I suppose you could also have copper plasma sprayed into a hull...wouldn't want to guess at what that might cost though.