Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014

hopcar is on a distinguished road
Re: Copper sheeting & CopperCoat anti-fouling

'This is an unrealistic expectation and one based apparently on your personal opinion of what constitutes a bottom in need of cleaning. I don't pretend to know what kind of fouling conditions your boat lives in in Florida (and I have heard you make some pretty outrageous claims about how long your bottom stays clean) but out here in the Bay Area, there is no anti fouling paint that I have every come across that can go a year without needing cleaning.
For example, here are two different Trinidad bottoms, both in Alameda, both three months old and both in need of cleaning:"

I agree that both those bottoms need cleaning. They wouldn't look like that in South Florida for over a year with properly applied Trinidad SR. In fact Pettit would probably replace the paint if it failed that badly in three months.

You say I make outrageous claims about the life of bottom paint, sounds like you're calling me a liar, yet you are the one with a financial incentive to exaggerate the need for bottom cleaning.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
mitempo- could you expand on your comments about zincs please. Hopefully you were not referring to sacrificial anodes.
Yes, I was. Some consider zinc a dangerous element to be dissolving in our harbors. Manufacturers are switching to aluminum anodes in some cases - for example the factory approved anode for a Yamaha (aluminum) outboard is aluminum. Canada Metal, one of the largest manufacturers of anodes for recreational vessels is producing more aluminum anodes as well as stating that they perform better in salt water.

Here is a link to the dangers of zinc: Zinc Fact Sheet

The pic below is from this site Martyr Anodes | The World's Premium Marine Anodes

I see zinc anodes going the way copper anti fouling paint will be in the future - banned in Washington State and it probably will be in California in the near future. Not that either product is all that bad, but because environmentalists are getting louder voices than in the past. I'm not one of them by the way.

One interesting point - in Washington State while copper based bottom paints are banned starting in a few years commercial vessels are exempted.
Old 04-01-2014
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopcar View Post
I agree that both those bottoms need cleaning. They wouldn't look like that in South Florida for over a year with properly applied Trinidad SR. In fact Pettit would probably replace the paint if it failed that badly in three months.
These paints have not failed. They are working just fine and this is typical fouling for three months here. You are assuming that the fouling conditions where you live are the fouling conditions that should be expected where I live.
Old 04-01-2014

It seems to me that you're the one who assumes that fouling conditions where I am are the same as where you are. You're the one who said that I make "outrageous claims" yet you admit that you have no idea what the conditions are here.
Old 04-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopcar View Post
It seems to me that you're the one who assumes that fouling conditions where I am are the same as where you are. You're the one who said that I make "outrageous claims" yet you admit that you have no idea what the conditions are here.
Below is a statement you made. Pretty outrageous coming from anybody who keeps a boat in a saltwater environment year round in this country. Doubly so when that statement comes from a marine industry professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
The diver is doing the work of the paint so you don't need paint. A friend of mine left his boat in the water for ten years and just let the diver maintain the bottom.
Bottom Paint - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Last edited by Fstbttms; 04-01-2014 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-01-2014

harmonic is on a distinguished road

I put a coppercoat system on a 45 foot power cat 3 years ago and it works well not much slime for the first 6 months then a small layer appeared I scrubbed it off and now it grows a light layer of slime every 3 months which is easily wiped off,when it appears to stop wprking I will give it a light sand with some very fine wet and dry sandpaper overall I am very pleased with it.The boat gets a lot of use which I am sure is helpfull in keeping the weed growth to a minimum.My steel yacht with a hard antifoul by comparison needs hauling and painting every 18 months.
Old 04-01-2014
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Many valid points are being raised here.... but, as much as I hate to, can we get back on track, i.e., CopperCoat?

Edboat - where are you!? Would you please return with some comments about your product, Sir?
Old 04-01-2014

If you're going to quote me, quote the whole statement.
Following is what I said and it is the truth. I don't know why you have a problem with it. You've admitted you are ignorant of conditions in my area.

"I bet you have a diver clean the bottom pretty often. The diver is doing the work of the paint so you don't need paint. If you put on some high quality bottom paint, you shouldn't need the diver for a year or more. A friend of mine left his boat in the water for ten years and just let the diver maintain the bottom."

I suspect that you don't like my statement that divers are not need for the first year of a quality bottom paints life. They may be needed where you are but not where I am.

I do appreciate you arguing the need for bottom paint since some of my income comes from selling it.

Last edited by Faster; 04-02-2014 at 01:44 AM. Reason: personal attack removed
Old 04-02-2014
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonic View Post
I put a coppercoat system on a 45 foot power cat 3 years ago and it works well not much slime for the first 6 months then a small layer appeared I scrubbed it off and now it grows a light layer of slime every 3 months which is easily wiped off,when it appears to stop wprking I will give it a light sand with some very fine wet and dry sandpaper overall I am very pleased with it.The boat gets a lot of use which I am sure is helpfull in keeping the weed growth to a minimum.My steel yacht with a hard antifoul by comparison needs hauling and painting every 18 months.
WOW, this is great information! In the same general area, you have 2 boats, each with different antifouling "systems".
Your CopperCoat results sound quite different from the other results.

Thank you!
Old 04-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonic View Post
...when it appears to stop wprking I will give it a light sand with some very fine wet and dry sandpaper...
Not exactly what the distributor claimed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edboat View Post
Coppercoat does NOT need to be sanded every year to keep it working. It only needs to be sanded 1 time before the first launch.