Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-28-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: "FrogSuit" waterproof cases for iPads

An iPad battery will get 10 hrs of life if you have low screen brightness and no GPS running. Max both and 3 hrs is not uncommon. Charging is a deal breaker. Anything that does not maintain full functionality, is just a temporary transport for me. I have one of those glorified ziplock bags to shuttle mine to shore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Doesn't the LifeProof Nuud case do the same for less?
To the best of my knowledge, no... I sure wouldn't try it with mine, at any rate :-)
Old 03-28-2014

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

On a kayak trip, a friend of mine showed me his new LifeProof case for his iPhone. "Cool", I thought. First time he turned over, it worked really well. Second time he turned over it worked well too............we assume but don't know as it is now at the bottom of the Econfina River. They don't float unless you buy the "life preserver" that is a big bulky thing.

And, what is this waterproof to 9' business for 3 minutes? Really, 9'? How about to a depth sufficient to crush the iphone or ipad indefinitely?
Old 03-28-2014

jeremiahblatz is on a distinguished road

I personally don't need a waterproof charging port. Also, it seems like the end-user could just use a USB extension cable if recharging without removing was a big deal.
Old 03-28-2014

Exactly what is meant by "waterproof charging port"? I can imagine the feedthru itself being waterproof but not the actual electrical connection. Making the electrical connection itself waterproof is more complicated.
Old 03-28-2014

Patient is on a distinguished road

Its a pretty complicated thing to brainstorm, I was toying with a concept in Maya one weekend. The connection issue would have to be solved with using an anti corrosive in-between socket. Rubber grommets never work as advertised and only need a few grains of sand to cause a leak. You could jury rig one by butchering a dock station and just doing a short pin run to a USB housing.

I will say though, one of the most surprising buys I made in terms of reliability was a waterproof bag made for DSLRs from a korean company. The lens port was adhered to it and it had a 3 factor seal to insure everything was really tight. I was in a hurry and didnt want to shell out 1k for a housing for my Lumix LX3.

If you are planning on aiming it around scuba, might I suggest a small screw lens cap so you can add an underwater filter sheet. It makes a WORLD of difference even with just a point and shoot. I used M A G I C - F I L T E R S and was blown away how with well it turned out considering you cut the filter with a scissors fit a pop it on a point and shoot.

Last edited by Patient; 03-28-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2014

Am not aiming for scuba as I do not know the effect of a lot of water pressure on an iPad or Iphone and the FrogSuit case is not rigid so the pressure might crush it.
NOW, I find that Apple says that the "Lightning Connector" they use on these is "waterproof" meaning it does not degrade or corrode upon immersion although they do not mention SALT water. This means that I would only need to waterproof the feedthru and not the electrical connection, a much simpler task. Apple standards do mean I would have to buy something like a 3" Apple certified extension and wrap my feedthru around it sealing it to the feedthru and then seal the feedthru to the Frogsuit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frogwatch For This Useful Post:
chrissailorman (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014

One could go from 30 pin to micro USB. The feed\thru would be micro-USB and then back to USB. I am trying to avoid the labor of soldering to commercially available feedthrus.
Old 03-29-2014
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83

I've been watching the thread from the beginning. I use the ipad when sailing as well as the other associated "beach" activities. I use it as a chartplotter and therefore need the battery charger when used as a chartplotter. Does it need to be "waterproof" during that time? Not really , More like water resistant but must be 100% as I'm in salt water. When moving from the boat to shore, it needs to be 100% waterproof but it does not need to charge during that time. Also echo the need to be able to strap/mount the ipad in place. I have a waterproof monster case ( don't remember the brand) which is 100% waterproof but cannot keep it in the case during navigation as there is no charging capability (and mounting would involve too many compromises). There are options but they are expensive. If you were to design a case that was waterproof when fully sealed (allowing for travel in the dinghy for example, or when it's on the beach ) and then less waterproof but good enough to keep and mount in the cockpit with a charging cord protruding from it you might have takers. Good luck!

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 03-29-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

In the late 1960's early 1970's the FTC settled all questions about "waterproof" in a major settlement with Bulova, who wre selling "Waterproof" watches that were in fact only water resistant.

The bottom line [pun intended] is that if you pour water on something, slowly, and the water can run off without doing damage, that is "water resistant". If you add any component of depth, pressure, or shock, you have to state it as "waterproof to..." and then cite the depth/pressure or G-shock rating that it can survive without damage.

The more common ones today are IP65 and IP67, there are international standards for "casual" waterproofing as opposed to deep pressure resistance. (As you go down deeper, the water pressure gets higher.)

There are more standards and conventions over whether the rating is for something that is static, or something that is in use. For instance, watches use o-ring seals, and they are rated waterproof to a certain depth--but only if you do not operate whatever the o-ring is sealing. As opposed to Ikelite camera housings, that are designed to be operated to a stated depth, using o-ring and x-ring seals.

Froggy, water pressure tends to be uniform. If you put an iPad in a EwaMarine pouch (grand daddy of the "ziplock" pouches) I'd expect it to have no problem down to 50 feet or more. As opposed to putting "the same" pressure on it by sitting on the iPad, which would put local stresses on the screen and probably shatter it. But all waterproof seals require maintenance, and eventually fail. The really good stuff just takes a very long time to fail. (G)