Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: safe cooking

methane oh no!

I read somewhere that cows and us humans contribute more to global warming through methane(farts) than other types of pollution

it made me laugh and sad at the same time...its one thing or the other, dont know how true it all is but its just life

some things explode so be careful!

peace
guitarguy56 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Christian... no one needs to run the genny while cooking... that could be done once sailing and away from the hook assuming the batteries need topping off... I've never had to since as quickly as the boat was back on shore power they charged up just fine or slowly topped off with my small solar panel... I really don't see the reaction many have if they've never used one. I'm not creating Paul Prudhomme's Creole recipes on the boat... mostly heating meals or simple boiling of rice/stews/soups... the occasional steaming of seafoods, etc.... all taking less than 4 minutes... water comes to boil in less than 1 minute with the induction cooker... watch it on Youtube.

I bought a nice set of pans to use with the unit but any cast iron skillet varieties will work... what will not work is copper/aluminum unless it has a steel bottom... they also sell a steel plate that the copper/aluminum pans sit on that will conduct the heat thereby letting you use conventional cookware, it's just one more item to carry onboard. Why?
Old 03-31-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
methane oh no!

I read somewhere that cows and us humans contribute more to global warming through methane(farts) than other types of pollution

it made me laugh and sad at the same time...its one thing or the other, dont know how true it all is but its just life

some things explode so be careful!

peace
Ha ha ha... one ride through Compton, CA or through certain parts of Texas will have you gasping for air... this from experience many times driving highways I-5 and I-10. Methane... stay away!
christian.hess likes this.
Old 03-31-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
simple meals would be nice. the icebox should keep stuff for a weekend, especially if the meat starts out frozen. canned stuff for longer periods, i would assume. not much of a fisherman, since i grew up, but i guess that's an option. don't need an oven. just a few burners.
A good icebox will go longer than a weekend. The one on our boat keeps a block of ice for 5 days. The cooler on our old boat didn't work very well, so we bought this Coleman that also lasts 4-5 days:
Amazon.com: Coleman 36-Quart Xtreme Cooler (Blue): Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Coleman 36-Quart Xtreme Cooler (Blue): Sports & Outdoors

We use an Origo unpressurized alcohol stove and I wouldn't want anything else. It is reliable, simple, and effective. Last year during 7 weeks of cruising I went through about 1.5 gallons of fuel.
bljones and captain jack like this.
Old 03-31-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Christian... no one needs to run the genny while cooking... that could be done once sailing and away from the hook assuming the batteries need topping off... I've never had to since as quickly as the boat was back on shore power they charged up just fine or slowly topped off with my small solar panel... I really don't see the reaction many have if they've never used one. I'm not creating Paul Prudhomme's Creole recipes on the boat... mostly heating meals or simple boiling of rice/stews/soups... the occasional steaming of seafoods, etc.... all taking less than 4 minutes... water comes to boil in less than 1 minute with the induction cooker... watch it on Youtube.

I bought a nice set of pans to use with the unit but any cast iron skillet varieties will work... what will not work is copper/aluminum unless it has a steel bottom... they also sell a steel plate that the copper/aluminum pans sit on that will conduct the heat thereby letting you use conventional cookware, it's just one more item to carry onboard. Why?
my express point was for those that CANT get back to the dock...thats all bud

Im very familiar with the induction cookers...like I mentioned before I got into HUGE arguments with other chefs in the cooking schools I was attending in spain...

HEAVY ARGUMENTS both for and against

jajaja

Old 03-31-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Ha ha ha... one ride through Compton, CA or through certain parts of Texas will have you gasping for air... this from experience many times driving highways I-5 and I-10. Methane... stay away!

I lived and worked in stockton ca,

pass through lodi, modesto and I foregt some other places and its deadly

BUT YOU GET USED TO IT

jajajaja

Old 03-31-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
A good icebox will go longer than a weekend. The one on our boat keeps a block of ice for 5 days. The cooler on our old boat didn't work very well, so we bought this Coleman that also lasts 4-5 days:
Amazon.com: Coleman 36-Quart Xtreme Cooler (Blue): Sports & Outdoors

We use an Origo unpressurized alcohol stove and I wouldn't want anything else. It is reliable, simple, and effective. Last year during 7 weeks of cruising I went through about 1.5 gallons of fuel.
its great stateside I loved mine on my folkboat

the issue is it becomes obsolete in some countries and not possible to use unless you want to throw away your $$$

its prohibitely expensive in some countries to use as your sole cooking fuel

cheers

Old 03-31-2014

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbrown View Post
Propane low pressure regulators are factory set at 3 PSI. if you can blow 100 times more PSI than that, id have to say you have been practicing.
(snippage)
Actually, the standard delivery pressure in a low pressure propane (LPG) system is 10.5-11 inches water column, which is about 0.375 psi, and is less than twice the pressure of residential Natural Gas. This is the standard for all residential LPG appliances, inlcluding furnaces, ranges, clothes dryers, water heaters, and permanently installed outdoor barbeques. Perhaps more than a typicla human is capable of supplying with lung power, but very low pressure, nonetheless.

Higher pressure LPG regulators are used on high output burners for outdoor use only, such as turkey cookers.

Last edited by Brewgyver; 03-31-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: punctuation and clarity
Old 03-31-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
its great stateside I loved mine on my folkboat
The thread starter (captain jack, right?) has a Cal 2-27. I don't think he'll be doing a lot of international offshore cruising on that boat.
captain jack likes this.
Old 03-31-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

ok

dont see what the boat has to do with cooking fuel type

you win I guess