Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road
Re: safe cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
The thread starter (captain jack, right?) has a Cal 2-27. I don't think he'll be doing a lot of international offshore cruising on that boat.
Actually, his boat appears to be a pop-top Cal 27, an earlier model than the 2-27. But, your point still stands.
captain jack likes this.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Think what type of stove/oven has a lot to do with type/size of boat and intended use. If you are out cruising electric not a good option. Just like they are hard to cook in a dirt home with because surface/pot doesn't respond immediately to change in setting like with gas they are dangerous to crew. You do up some coffee before coming on deck for a night watch. Boat is red light mode. You put the coffee maker in the sink and leave some empty cups on the counter. Second crew is setting up a snack. He/she puts something or a hand on hot electric stove. Ouch!!. Yes the pot holders stay hot on a gas stove but the whole surface of an electric stove stays hot. Hard enough to bake on a boat. Even harder with electric stove. Usually do this on calm, cloudy days No solar. No wind generator. Listening to the diesel generator kills the day. Instead of listening to tunes and smelling bread baking with your stomach growling your listening to a d-mn engine.
Alcohol/kero just doesn't get hot enough and quickly enough to match the flip the switch, click ,turn and hold for a couple of seconds. When doing watches being able to cook or heat something nice without fuss or bother is a big deal. If the AP and frig are running conserving Ah is wise. Come on folks - for over all ease gas is the way to go. In just about anyplace if there is a garage filling cars there is a good likelihood they can fill a tank with propane. You walk up with a tank you don't even need to speak the language. Risk with minimal attention is low. Guess with rats "When the lord comes calling you got to move". Sure you can use a crockpot for a full meal but I have no place where it will stay still except wedged on the gimbaled propane stove so it's off the boat with a pressure cooker to replace it.
?Are the Wallas systems gimbaled? Only one I ever saw was done was fixed in place but was on a commercial fish boat
? Induction systems sound nice but do they hold up in marine environs?
Sorry - just needed to mouth off. My bad

Last edited by outbound; 03-31-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2014

Boredop is on a distinguished road

Did you know that water can cause drowning? Nope, won't have that on my boat. Too dangerous.
Old 03-31-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
The thread starter (captain jack, right?) has a Cal 2-27. I don't think he'll be doing a lot of international offshore cruising on that boat.
almost right. it's a cal 27 but not a 2-27. mine was the first incarnation of the cal 27; the pop top version. all three cal 27s are completely different.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
ok

dont see what the boat has to do with cooking fuel type

you win I guess
i would suppose that he is saying the fact that alcohol is not readily available or economically prudent outside of the U.S. is unimportant as i probably wouldn't be blue water sailing in this boat.
Alex W likes this.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredop View Post
Did you know that water can cause drowning? Nope, won't have that on my boat. Too dangerous.
i kind of thought the purpose of a boat was to keep water out. otherwise, you'd be swimming ( or drowning ).

1971 Cal 27

Old 03-31-2014

Boredop is on a distinguished road

I guess the point becomes that there are a variety of safety hazards onboard. You could sink, catch fire, receive a blow to the head, inhale toxic gases or choke on a olive. I think the danger of propane is very low compared to the other dangers onboard. Propane has a distinctive indicating smell and with certain precautions can be handled safely. An accidental jibe because of a wind shift has more potential to injure myself or my guests. If the world scares you, stay home.
Old 03-31-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
i would suppose that he is saying the fact that alcohol is not readily available or economically prudent outside of the U.S. is unimportant as i probably wouldn't be blue water sailing in this boat.
I get that bud...sprry if it sounded like a snip

get whatever fuel you have best access too and enjoy the most...you have options up there so that is great for you

I just didnt see what the boat model had to do with anything but obviously if youre not ever going to travel with the boat at least overseas then yeah no issues with alcohol

having said that I posted before that even when I was in berkeley not every place had alcohol...and west marine was way expensive and it was more of a hassle than simple propane

for whatever thats worth

hope you find a cooking method that suits and pleases you

its very apparent that you have OPTIONS

Old 03-31-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Think what type of stove/oven has a lot to do with type/size of boat and intended use. If you are out cruising electric not a good option. Just like they are hard to cook in a dirt home with because surface/pot doesn't respond immediately to change in setting like with gas they are dangerous to crew. You do up some coffee before coming on deck for a night watch. Boat is red light mode. You put the coffee maker in the sink and leave some empty cups on the counter. Second crew is setting up a snack. He/she puts something or a hand on hot electric stove. Ouch!!. Yes the pot holders stay hot on a gas stove but the whole surface of an electric stove stays hot. Hard enough to bake on a boat. Even harder with electric stove. Usually do this on calm, cloudy days No solar. No wind generator. Listening to the diesel generator kills the day. Instead of listening to tunes and smelling bread baking with your stomach growling your listening to a d-mn engine.
Outbound... I'll take it you've never been around or exposed to induction stoves or ovens... let's just say I can place my hand directly on the stove surface while it is running about the only thing that will happen is smearing the black onyx surface with my hand oils... try that with a regular electric stove and I understand how your second shift crew would be burnt. Doesn't and will never happen on the surface of an induction stove... So in reality your rant doesn't apply here. As I mentioned my next boat will be entirely induction stove/oven and I see marine units are already hitting the market... but why wait? As mentioned I have my Honda 2000 but never ever ran it to make a meal using the induction stove. This is after all on a 25 foot boat... why the criticism if it should plainly work on a much larger boat with generators charging the batteries and hefty solar panels charging, and Torquedoes up the rear charging away?
Old 03-31-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

I dont think Im criticising, at least initially I mentioned it be great no nonsense system for our boats

BUT for cruising its still too much of a draw it has the same drawacks that an electric inboard would for long term cruising

you need a lot of panels and wind power to make it a 3 times a day source for cooking but Id be glad to see some low draw ones in the market soon