Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: safe cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Are the Wallas systems gimbaled? Only one I ever saw was done was fixed in place but was on a commercial fish boat
There is one gimbaled Wallas but you lose the heat function. There is no blower lid as when the lid is up the stove tips back. Pot holders are available for all Wallas stovetops.

Old 03-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Math is wrong... it should be 1500/60 minutes or 25 watts per minute... not 1500 watts per minute... appliances are rated per hour usage... so for one hour of the induction stove use it will use 1500 watts... problem is it's not running 1 hour... but 5-10 minutes at the most... so 5*25 = 125 watts power used... 10 minutes is 250 watts, etc... pretty simple... there are numerous power/wattage calculators that will tell you based on how much power the appliance is using... your figure would mean a 1500 watt heater in the cabin is also using 121 amps too... how can that be George? Shore power is only 30 amps!

You must be asking how much amps is it using... 1500 watts/ 110 volts = 13.6 amps per hour... so based on that 5 minutes usage is: 1.136 amps... 10 minutes of usage is: 2.272 amps.

That is the total power being drawn from the battery +/-.

Clear now?
Yes, 1500 watts AC is 13.6 amps AC. But to produce it with the inefficiencies of an inverter uses 150 amps DC from the batteries. Divide the hour by 6 for the 10 minute usage and the DC use is 25 amps.

For the 15 minute meal divide 150 by 4 and the DC draw is 37.5 amps DC.

My Engel fridge uses less than that in 24 hours. Not a good choice for a cruiser in a small boat.

Last edited by mitiempo; 03-31-2014 at 10:37 PM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Guitarguy, my boat runs on 12 volt DC so I divide watts by 12V to get amps, not 110V as you would for shore power. Do I assume correctly that these stoves only work on 110VAC? Then I would also have to calculate the loss going through the inverter. Is there an induction oven too? What is the efficiency of that unit?

Ok George... I only have one induction stove and no oven.

Here is how I see it at the battery... 1500 watts into the battery is 150 amps per hour... 150 amp/hr... so 150 amps/60 minutes= 2.5 amp/minute so 5 minutes equals 12.5 amps multiplied by 12 volts = 150 watts... 10 minutes gives you 300 watts... this not including inverter efficiency or factor which would alter the above.

The stove of course is 110 vac... loss though the inverter may be .5 amps +/-

Point being is the wattage and battery usage is not what many people think.. I have two batteries in the boat to handle this power and they weren't cheap.

I used this stove throughout my cruising while using the boat... not like I was cooking 4 times a day! I had no problem with of discharging the batteries and the solar panel had no problem topping off the use... I wouldn't take the boat across an ocean using this method of cooking on this size of a boat but for coastal cruising as I did up in Puget Sound I had no issues.

A larger solar panel and cruising outside of Puget Sound with many sunny days and the stove could be used for more than 5-10 minutes...

Alex... I think you need to check out the calculator to see that time component in minutes!

Last edited by guitarguy56; 03-31-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
There is one gimbaled Wallas but you lose the heat function. There is no blower lid as when the lid is up the stove tips back. Pot holders are available for all Wallas stovetops.

i have to say that i really liked the wallace diesel stove. if it was affordable, for me, i'd have gone that route. i could have put the tank where the old gas tank is, now.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2014

Boredop is on a distinguished road

I'm not telling anybody to do anything, I'm just suggesting this level of paranoia is absurd and if you can't handle a little risk maybe having a boat is a bad idea. Maybe stick to stuffed animals and saftey scissors.
Old 03-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredop View Post
I'm not telling anybody to do anything, I'm just suggesting this level of paranoia is absurd and if you can't handle a little risk maybe having a boat is a bad idea. Maybe stick to stuffed animals and saftey scissors.
paranoia? it's a simple question about cook fuel options and safety. there are a lot of articles and threads on the web about the cooking fuel safety issue. that would indicate a lot of other people are also 'paranoid' about that issue, i suppose.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
i have to say that i really liked the wallace diesel stove. if it was affordable, for me, i'd have gone that route. i could have put the tank where the old gas tank is, now.
With a Wallas you can either draw from the main tank on a diesel powered boat or use a portable tank. Most often the portable is in a locker below the stove. It is sealed and safe.
Old 03-31-2014

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Boredop let's dial it back. There's been good discussion here of the pros and cons of various cooking methods and fuel sources. Why get in the weeds..
The Following User Says Thank You to Tempest For This Useful Post:
captain jack (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014

This thread is getting a bit nasty. Maybe the subject should be changed to something a bit less contentious - like anchors or maybe steel boats.....
Tempest likes this.
Old 03-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
With a Wallas you can either draw from the main tank on a diesel powered boat or use a portable tank. Most often the portable is in a locker below the stove. It is sealed and safe.
i definately thought it sounded cool. especially the fact that it cooks and provides heat. multipurpose. plus, diesel is easy to come by. but don't have 2K to spend on a cook top. if i did, though....

1971 Cal 27