Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: safe cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I have the Origo 4000 on my Pearson and my friend's Yankee 30 has the equivalent CookMate. I previously had a boat with the Origo 3000.

The CookMate has a few more sharp edges on the inside and the latch for holding it closed shoots apart into 4 pieces if you unscrew it, where the one on the Origo is completely captive. Functionally they are the same. For the slight extra cost I'd personally get the Origo, but if every penny matters then the CookMate is fine. You can pretty easily find a used Origo for half the price of a new CookMate.
good advice

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain View Post
No, no, NO!! A Watt is a Volt*Amp (there are no units of time involved; unless you want to define Watts as joules/sec). So 1500W = 12.5V*120A. At that rate a pair of Trojan 105 batteries will be 50% discharged in well less than 1 hour. Even a fairly quick meal will draw the average sailboat house bank down to or below its useful capacity. Two burners and/or three meals a day.....? You're either going to have to run the engine several hours a day or have a genset. Physics doesn't lie.
while you guys are discussing electrical appliances on a boat, someone previously referred to microwave use on a boat. i had never considered that because i figuered the the energy requirements would be too great. out of curiosity ( i wouldn't want to actually use up the extra space ), how practical is microwave use on a boat? as far as battery usage, i mean.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
George... let's look at it again... 1500 watt appliance running 1 hour will be 1.5 kwatts per hour... a 1500 watt appliance running on 110 volts is using 13.6 amps per hour...
NO. One hour at a current of 1.5kW is 1.5kWh (1.5 kilowatt-hours)

Quote:
...ask any electrical engineer, electrician, etc....
Be my guest

Quote:
...the usage of watts drops as the appliance is reduced in time per minute.

Here is a simple calculator:

Calculate the Costs to Use Electricity - WebMath
Use that calculator. 1500 Watts for one hour equals 1.5kWh (kilowatt-hours, NOT kilowatts per hour)

Quote:
...add the 1500 watts and the number of mintues... see if you don't get the same answers I shown you... you may have to convert kwatt hours to minutes to get the actual watt/minute usage.

Does it make a little more sense now?
Maybe in your universe. On Earth, a Watt is a joule/sec or a volt-amp. Check any, ANY, freshman physics book, or even Wikipedia.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 04-01-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
while you guys are discussing electrical appliances on a boat, someone previously referred to microwave use on a boat. i had never considered that because i figured the the energy requirements would be too great. out of curiosity ( i wouldn't want to actually use up the extra space ), how practical is microwave use on a boat? as far as battery usage, i mean.
Microwaves can make sense on a boat. A lot more sense than an electric stove. Many boats have them. They do require an inverter though. They are not the main stove but an addition to whatever the main stove is. A microwave of say 1000 watts will use somewhere near 100 amps DC, but as it is only used for a very short period of time the total DC usage is pretty low. 5 minutes of use is about 8 amp hours.
Old 04-01-2014

Quote:
Ok George... I only have one induction stove and no oven.

Here is how I see it at the battery... 1500 watts into the battery is 150 amps per hour... 150 amp/hr... so 150 amps/60 minutes= 2.5 amp/minute so 5 minutes equals 12.5 amps multiplied by 12 volts = 150 watts... 10 minutes gives you 300 watts... this not including inverter efficiency or factor which would alter the above.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 04-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Microwaves can make sense on a boat. A lot more sense than an electric stove. Many boats have them. They do require an inverter though. They are not the main stove but an addition to whatever the main stove is. A microwave of say 1000 watts will use somewhere near 100 amps DC, but as it is only used for a very short period of time the total DC usage is pretty low. 5 minutes of use is about 8 amp hours.
thanks. i don't really have the galley space but i was curious.

1971 Cal 27

Old 04-01-2014

Quote:
while you guys are discussing electrical appliances on a boat, someone previously referred to microwave use on a boat. i had never considered that because i figuered the the energy requirements would be too great. out of curiosity ( i wouldn't want to actually use up the extra space ), how practical is microwave use on a boat? as far as battery usage, i mean.
Look at the current draw. Even a small micro way will require more current than a small boat can easily provide. Almost all compact microwaves call for a 15A circuit. Even if you can get away with 10A, that's 10A at 120V, or 1200W. In other words, the draw on your boat's batteries would be about 100A at 12.5V. On big boats, with big battery banks and gensets, that's doable. On a 27-foot boat, not likely.
Old 04-01-2014

Quote:
coal. boy that would take up some space on board and cause some real soot.

actually, if i was to decide to go propane i'd want an outside tank locker and i really don't see the room for that, on my boat. it would just take up too much space. i do think that pressurized alcohol will be my best bet, as you said.
You mean non-pressurized alcohol, right?
Old 04-01-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain View Post
Look at the current draw. Even a small micro way will require more current than a small boat can easily provide. Almost all compact microwaves call for a 15A circuit. Even if you can get away with 10A, that's 10A at 120V, or 1200W. In other words, the draw on your boat's batteries would be about 100A at 12.5V. On big boats, with big battery banks and gensets, that's doable. On a 27-foot boat, not likely.
If a microwave is used sparingly, as they nearly always are, the DC amp usage is pretty low. An inverter is needed. But your 1200 watt example need not be that high. A small microwave at 700 watts AC will use about 70 amps DC through the inverter. 5 minutes of use to heat something up or make popcorn or whatever will use 70 divided by 12 or a bit less than 6 amps DC.

I have a 700 watt microwave on my 27' boat.
Old 04-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
If a microwave is used sparingly, as they nearly always are, the DC amp usage is pretty low. An inverter is needed. But your 1200 watt example need not be that high. A small microwave at 700 watts AC will use about 70 amps DC through the inverter. 5 minutes of use to heat something up or make popcorn or whatever will use 70 divided by 12 or a bit less than 6 amps DC.

I have a 700 watt microwave on my 27' boat.
I think that the 700W figure is the power delivered by the oven, not the current draw. It may not require 1200W, but I would be surprised if it wasn't pretty close to 1kW. While it's true that a few minutes here and there wouldn't tax most house banks too much, it would still be a fairly large percentage of a daily electrical energy usage. At the dock, no biggie. While cruising,....? Of course, there is always the space issue. A second appliance for doing what can be done by the stove isn't usually what a small boat really needs. However, for a live aboard things might be a bit different.