Not a Member? 

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: safe cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain View Post
Look at the current draw. Even a small micro way will require more current than a small boat can easily provide. Almost all compact microwaves call for a 15A circuit. Even if you can get away with 10A, that's 10A at 120V, or 1200W. In other words, the draw on your boat's batteries would be about 100A at 12.5V. On big boats, with big battery banks and gensets, that's doable. On a 27-foot boat, not likely.
oh. i wasn't asking because i was considering it; just out of curiosity. i wouldn't have any place to put it.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain View Post
You mean non-pressurized alcohol, right?
yes. quite right. i thought i'd typed 'non' in there. my mistake.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
I think BoatUS is combining propane or at least they address it in their article. More telling is they attribute the decrease in stove fires to a decrease in alcohol stoves.

“6) Stove - 1%
Stove fires appear to be less common (1%) than in the past, probably due to fewer alcohol stoves being installed on new boats. Still, alcohol can be a dangerous fuel; though it can’t explode, an alcohol flame is hard to see. One fire was started when a member tried to light the stove and gave up because he couldn’t see the flame. Unfortunately, he had succeeded, but didn’t realize it until he got a call from the fire department. Only one fire was started by propane; a portable stove fell off a counter and ignited a cushion.”

True story. Anyone of you familiar with the Sierra Nevada Mountains and Priest Grade? Priest is an original road (trail?) that went up to Groveland in the gold country. Very, very steep grade that lasts for five miles or more. Big signs on both ends prohibiting large trucks, vehicles with trailers and RVs. It is about 15-20 miles shorter than the “modern” road and cuts travel time considerably. On this particular day an RV driver decided to take the shortcut down and as forewarned, burnt out his brakes about halfway. Fortunately, he was able to use the hillside as a brake to stop his runaway vehicle instead of going over the cliff edge and certain death. The family evacuated safely but the burnt out brakes caught the surrounding grasses on fire which caught the RV on fire. Roaring fire, with the roof burnt off, the vehicle walls acted as a chimney. Gas from the fuel tank added to the conflagration. With fire all around, the propane tank started to cook off. When it did, The poppet valve released and a hundred foot flame shot out through the roof with a whoosh. The biggest explosion were the tires cooking off and expanding then bursting. Those went off with a bang that I would have thought what would happen to the propane tank. Not to say propane can’t explode, but this was one exciting afternoon in any case.

Can I make one last plea for bringing back coal for cooking? It’s not volatile, won’t explode, compact, and has about twice the BTUs as wood or charcoal.
i'm probably going to sound silly for asking but are you serious of joking about the coal? my grandparents used to heat the house with a coal stove and had a kero stove to cook on.

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 04-01-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2014

Boredop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post

If you are so concerned with the explosive potential of propane as to rule it out you can make inductive cooking work but your battery bank better be big (off hand, 1200 Ah or so) and you should have the charging capacity to match unless you eat out a lot.
Let's not forget how explosive batteries can be.....
Old 04-01-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Coal? No good for boats, too hard to get good coal in most of the developed world, and too easy to have a monoxide problem.

But speaking of spaghetti, that's a classic "ain't gonna happen" on a 6800btu burner. Can't boil a big pot of water on that. Although, most of us were taught how to cook pasta the rich way, with a big pot of rolling boiling water. If you just bring the water to a boil, and then shut the burner and come back to stir the pasta every few minutes, it cooks up just fine. May take 20 minutes instead of 10, but it cooks just fine without the need for copious amounts of boiling water. Great way to save fuel, whatever kind it is.
Old 04-01-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

My god Captain Jack,
Get a propane stove; thousands upon thousands of boats come with them, Statiscally you probably have a better chance of burning your boat down with any other fuel. Install it properly and you souldn't have any issues.

That or hang a charcoal grill of the back of the boat.
The Following User Says Thank You to benesailor For This Useful Post:
Boredop (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Interesting.

However, this is about fires, not explosions. I suppose the statistics includes galley fires caused by liquid (and solid) fuels. But if there is a propane leak, the result is not a fire but BOOOOM
I really doubt that would make much different in the overall results. The point stands, if you one is worried about fire, one should rip out all their electrical systems and revert to LED headlamps, charts and a sextant, long before worrying about propane (assuming its installed correctly).

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-01-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

I remember when Ebeneezer Scrooge used.............
Old 04-01-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

So what I've gathered is that, done right, propane and alcohol are both very safe. The danger of a fire or explosion from either of them is a small fraction of the other dangers involved in boating.

But for a person with a small boat who is trying to keep systems simple and costs down it sure sounds like alcohol comes out a winner. Two or three hundred bucks for an Origo and you're done. No solenoids, no hoses, no valves...

At least that's how I'm leaning for cooking in my tiny boat.
olson34 and captain jack like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesail For This Useful Post:
captain jack (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

If your worried about fires then DON'T cook ANYTHING with GREASE or OIL, those cause more fires than the fuel you use. I would worry more about a dragging anchor than a cooking fuel fire.
SVAuspicious likes this.

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.